• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] How to Know What Speed Disc is Good?

Shock3600

I started playing this summer and though I've improved a lot, I still need a ton of help. My main thing right now is knowing what speed disc would be good for me. Right now I probably throw about 150-175 feet with a right hand sidearm. My first disc was a wraith I found, and right now I mostly throw that wraith and a beast, and I am trying out an Eagle and a viking. I seriously doubt that I am throwing hard enough to use these discs right(a teen and weaker) so I wanted to ask what speed of disc I should be throwing(note: the distance I said is mostly for the beast/wraith though the Eagle probably goes about the same distance though I don't know about the viking).

Disc way, way down. Just throw putters and perhaps midranges for now. I don't got a big arm at all, it's actually really weak, but I get my putters out to about 230, midranges to maybe 280 and fairway drivers up to 320. Bigger arms will get way more distance with the same discs, it's not uncommon for high level players to throw putters over 300ft. Distance is more about the archer rather than the arrow ... at least to a certain degree.

Disc way, way down. Just throw putters and perhaps midranges for now. I don't got a big arm at all, it's actually really weak, but I get my putters out to about 230, midranges to maybe 280 and fairway drivers up to 320. Bigger arms will get way more distance with the same discs, it's not uncommon for high level players to throw putters over 300ft. Distance is more about the archer rather than the arrow ... at least to a certain degree.
Do you think the eagle could work(speed 7) or another fairway driver, or just do a mid range disc?

Yeah any speed 6-7 understable driver plus some mids/putters makes a good setup for working on distance. Eagles can be somewhat OS depending on plastic/run but a seasoned DX will work like a leopard etc.

I can throw a speed 6 driver up to 350' so the faster stuff isnt really "needed" but you will see the benefit once your other discs are flying on longer lines.

Yeah any speed 6-7 understable driver plus some mids/putters makes a good setup for working on distance. Eagles can be somewhat OS depending on plastic/run but a seasoned DX will work like a leopard etc.

I can throw a speed 6 driver up to 350' so the faster stuff isnt really "needed" but you will see the benefit once your other discs are flying on longer lines.

^ This

Unless you have some sort of disability or physical limitations, don't let your perceived "weakness" become a mental barrier. Raw strength does far less for your ability to throw a disc than good technique does.

Slow down, work carefully on technique with some slower discs, and you will see distance gains.

Unless you have some sort of disability or physical limitations, don't let your perceived "weakness" become a mental barrier. Raw strength does far less for your ability to throw a disc than good technique does.

Slow down, work carefully on technique with some slower discs, and you will see distance gains.

Generally agree with this. And your distance will increase as your form improves.

Yes, try some mids. There are a boatload of different molds out there and you'll get a ton of suggestions upon which is best. I like the stable/straight VCobra, the Mako3, and of course one can never go wrong with a Panther. You might also try the Cheetah and Leopard (speed 6 drivers).

One thing IMHO you will find if you take all your discs to the range (schoolyard or field) and work on form is a "point of diminishing returns". For right now, you might get as much distance out of slower discs as you would that Viking, Beast, or Wraith.

What mid ranges would be good to have a unique set(so that each disc is very different- like one that goes straight, one understable, one like the cobra that makes an s, etc)

What mid ranges would be good to have a unique set(so that each disc is very different- like one that goes straight, one understable, one like the cobra that makes an s, etc)

You'll get a ton of advice about this. For me, I carry a Buzzz (in Titanium plastic) for stable shots and hyzer shots, Panther for straight shots in the woods and utility work, and Mako3 for neutral to understable. For really understable, I use my Mirage, which is a long putt&rapprochement disc.

You'll get a ton of advice about this. For me, I carry a Buzzz (in Titanium plastic) for stable shots and hyzer shots, Panther for straight shots in the woods and utility work, and Mako3 for neutral to understable. For really understable, I use my Mirage, which is a long putt&rapprochement disc.
What would you use instead of the Buzzz if you just did Innova(im just sticking with one brand for now- once I'm better I'll expand)

Generally agree with this. And your distance will increase as your form improves.

Yes, try some mids. There are a boatload of different molds out there and you'll get a ton of suggestions upon which is best. I like the stable/straight VCobra, the Mako3, and of course one can never go wrong with a Panther. You might also try the Cheetah and Leopard (speed 6 drivers).

One thing IMHO you will find if you take all your discs to the range (schoolyard or field) and work on form is a "point of diminishing returns". For right now, you might get as much distance out of slower discs as you would that Viking, Beast, or Wraith.

lol, dude preached against this for months here.

What would you use instead of the Buzzz if you just did Innova(im just sticking with one brand for now- once I'm better I'll expand)

A member of the Roc family. I threw the Roc3, which has a bead, then converted to the beadless Shark3 before my Buzzz epiphany occurred.

Is it a good idea to get new mid-ranges or is it better just to stick with the VRoc for now?

Keep the VRoc, get a putter if you dont have one. Then as others have mentioned, a DX Leopard. Once you get those flying flat and straight and on your target line, try an Archangel. If that flips over on you, then try a Roadrunner.

If you have the desire to buy discs, which is part of the fun of this sport, I'd get more putters and mids. That way you get more throws in your practice session before you have to walk down field and pick them all up.

Do you have a disc store, or maybe a Play-it-Again Sports near you? Places like this are great for picking up used discs cheaply. Stay away from anything above speed 9 for a long while, until you are sure you're ready. You will know...