• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] How to Know What Speed Disc is Good?

What mid ranges would be good to have a unique set(so that each disc is very different- like one that goes straight, one understable, one like the cobra that makes an s, etc)

I take it you have a VRoc and a Cobra? Between those two, you're probably set well for mids. If the Cobra is fading back on you and you want something decidedly understable, you'll need something drastically flippy at your distance. For Innova I'd recommend DX Stingray, Skeeter, Panther, or Kite (those last 3 are smaller diameter than your VRoc and Cobra though). A DX Aero is a wide diameter putter but it's basically a really slow, finesse midrange and a great disc to learn technique with too.

At your distances you'll get more benefit out of sticking with mids and putters for the vast majority of your throws but I think it's always good to keep a slow driver in the mix to learn how to keep the nose down. Innova makes a lot of great ones in DX: Gazelle, Cheetah, and Leopard from most overstable to least. Eagles (especially L molds) and Teebirds are a little faster but great too in DX, if they're too beefy at first a few trees will straighten them out in no time. Other really good, slow drivers: FD, JLS, Polaris LS, Relay, Signal, Seer, Jade, etc.

I didn't read the entire thread, so I might be repeating some people, but look at what brother dave said on the first page. Than look at a picure of eagle mcmahon. That little dude can straight bomb. Muscles help, but too much actually makes disc golf harder. But good form is what makes you throw far.

A eagle is fine to play with for now, but put the viking and wraith away. Than go try out different putters and mids. I like the cobra a lot. For you you might get a S out of it or maybe a straight line. A buzzz is one of the most loved discs in all of disc golf. If you like that disc you'll use it forever.

Distance vs. Control. Will be different for everyone. Often you will find that the added distance of the faster discs is not worth the loss of control.

I take it you have a VRoc and a Cobra? Between those two, you're probably set well for mids. If the Cobra is fading back on you and you want something decidedly understable, you'll need something drastically flippy at your distance. For Innova I'd recommend DX Stingray, Skeeter, Panther, or Kite (those last 3 are smaller diameter than your VRoc and Cobra though). A DX Aero is a wide diameter putter but it's basically a really slow, finesse midrange and a great disc to learn technique with too.

At your distances you'll get more benefit out of sticking with mids and putters for the vast majority of your throws but I think it's always good to keep a slow driver in the mix to learn how to keep the nose down. Innova makes a lot of great ones in DX: Gazelle, Cheetah, and Leopard from most overstable to least. Eagles (especially L molds) and Teebirds are a little faster but great too in DX, if they're too beefy at first a few trees will straighten them out in no time. Other really good, slow drivers: FD, JLS, Polaris LS, Relay, Signal, Seer, Jade, etc.
Well kinda. I have a Vroc and the Cobra I have a friend gave to me(with some person's phone number) so don't know if I'm keeping it. I'm really liking the eagle so far, and it's been forever since I used the Vroc/ Thanks for the advice

Well kinda. I have a Vroc and the Cobra I have a friend gave to me(with some person's phone number) so don't know if I'm keeping it. I'm really liking the eagle so far, and it's been forever since I used the Vroc/ Thanks for the advice

Nice...

To give you a hint of how much muscle impacts a throw: I'm 6'3 150lbs 17 years old and I have a couple friends one is 5'7 230lbs (31) with very muscular arms and the other is 5'10 140lbs (38). I can throw over 350' RHFH and touch that RHBH my 5'7 friend can get about 200' RHFH and about 300' RHBH but my 5'10 friend can only get 275' LHFH and about 200' LHBH (I have touched 170' LHBH). Of the three of us I'm the only one who field practices which leads me to new shots and ways to get distance. I would experiment with the Vroc and the Cobra especially BH. If the Cobra does get recommissioned by its old owner I would suggest either a Stingray, Panther or Kite though the latter 2 are smaller diameter. If you find a Roc of any kind I would pick it up if I were you as the Roc is a Go-To Mid-Range for many people including myself. What are you using for a putter as a used Rhyno or Pig will be very good for FHs that have to end right. If you see anything used from Discmania or Millennium they have there discs produced by Innova but market and design them themselves. The MD discs as well as P discs are Discmania's Mids and Putters while Millennium produces the Omega (in all its forms) for a putter and the Aurora MS as a Mid.

The right thing to do is just throw putters and mids until your form improves enough to slowly go up in speeds. Everyone wants to throw drivers as far as possible though so I think it's a good idea to get a few but as said in your thread already stay with a speed 6 or 7. My personal recommendation for newer players is the Discmania FD. It has a ton of glide. It's super easy to throw on multiple lines and it will grow with you. As you get better it just keeps going farther. Maybe pick up an S and C-line FD, and a DX Roc to go with your VRoc. That should keep things relatively cheap and simple for a while.

Definitely call the numbers on the back of ur two discs in question. Tell them if they'd like to get their discs back to let you know. Lots of times they won't even call back or will tell you to keep them. Either way ur stoked.

If they'd like them back offer to leave them at a local shop or I do my doorstep or meet ppl at a course. As a younger person just keep safety in mind contacting strangers. This will really help with ur disc golf karma which goes a long way.

On discs I think a dx eagle around 168 grams would be a great one, along with a dx roc maybe around 173-175 grams. Fondle a aviar p&a and a big bead aviar and choose either that feels best.

Cheers and good luck out there!

For the drivers I would suggest around speed 9 drivers (for fastest). I really like suggesting an Innova sidewinder as a good First distance Driver. It is high speed understable, but for newer/younger players this just allows to throw longer/straighter shots and also to get a good feel on how to get a driver to make the coveted 'S-shape' shot.

An Innova Roadrunner, Innova Sidewinder, Discraft Avenger SS, Discmania TD, Axiom Insanity, MVP Inertia
^ Discs like this may be a good distance driver to have, they aren't weak by any means, plenty of distance with speed ~9 discs

A good setup for your skill level would be:

A solid putter: Anything thats fairly straight
Prodigy 300 Pa4 or Pa3
Innova Aviar (any kind really)
Discraft Focus or Banger GT.....honestly, ANY putter thats a decent putter. there are TONS out there and most are good.
Warden, Jude, Reko, seriously so many putters...I would personally say Prodigy 300 Pa4, but thats me

Midrange- , something understable or something stable
Ask a shop owner , otherwise I'd say Innova Panther, Prodigy M4, Discraft Buzzz SS <- any one of these are very nice, again many mids out there, Dynamic Truth would be a good option too

Driver: I would say grab a Sidewinder or Roadrunner

and also grab an overstable disc. You can get unique cutting shots from an overstable disc. Innova Firebird is likely the most recommended, though its a speed 9 disc, you can use it for short range as well since its so overstable it wants to hit the ground

Update: Went out today, the cold and progressing crappiness of my shots made me get worse and worse, but my first few shots were about 200 feet

Practice.

I would suggest practicing with a neutral mid (mako3, claymore) and an understable fairway (leopard, river, underworld.)

Have you tried an x-step backhand throw for distance? If not, look that up. Most (not all) of us throw further backhanded than forehand/sidearm.

Some tips to getting distance from your x-step :
• Reach back fully, and allow your head to turn back as well. This will help you load your shoulders. Trust your run up to put the disc out on the right line, don't worry about keeping the target in your vision.
• You're trying to create a whip with your body, not trying to throw a disc with your arm. There's no "forcing" the disc to go fast/far. There's only accellerating the right muscles at the right time. That feels smooth, not strong.
• block and follow through - your plant is what causes the whip to start, and this is when you accelerate your pull through starting with the hips. Your trailing foot should come around your block/pivot foot on the follow through.

Practice.

I would suggest practicing with a neutral mid (mako3, claymore) and an understable fairway (leopard, river, underworld.)

Have you tried an x-step backhand throw for distance? If not, look that up. Most (not all) of us throw further backhanded than forehand/sidearm.

Some tips to getting distance from your x-step :
• Reach back fully, and allow your head to turn back as well. This will help you load your shoulders. Trust your run up to put the disc out on the right line, don't worry about keeping the target in your vision.
• You're trying to create a whip with your body, not trying to throw a disc with your arm. There's no "forcing" the disc to go fast/far. There's only accellerating the right muscles at the right time. That feels smooth, not strong.
• block and follow through - your plant is what causes the whip to start, and this is when you accelerate your pull through starting with the hips. Your trailing foot should come around your block/pivot foot on the follow through.

This should be good for a bump to at least 220'

...just kidding, spot on advice. :thmbup: