• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hwy 40 this summer!

Curtofcourse

Late August I'm taking a drive from Kingman, AZ to Knoxville,TN. Want to play the best courses I can get my disc on. Any suggestions? Something near Hwy 40? Also 75 to Tampa.

Before getting to Knoxville definitely hit Roane County Park at Exit 350, very sweet course. Most of the holes are in the woods but very fun. Admiral Farragut in west Knoxville is a short, heavily wooded technical nine. There are 3 holes that are more open. Morningside near downtown is a great course. Some shorter, some longer, some technical, some open. It's the oldest course in town & it shows it in places but it adds character! Navigation can be a major pain, it's not in the best part of town, & there can be a lot of trash & old clothes laying around. Victor Ashe is LONG & pretty open. Navigation can be tricky for a first timer but it's a good course. On your way down 75 Athens Regional Park is a good 9, & the back 9 is supposed to be in at some point. When you get to Chattanooga I'd say definitely hit The Sinks. Never played it, but only heard great things about it. All these are on the course search page, hope that helps!

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! Also heard about the mounds(?) in Knoxville as a good course. Should have mentioned parking space is important... driving a Uhaul!

I am guessing you meant Interstate 40. In Arkansas, there are two courses in Russellville that are good courses and two at Burns Park in North Little Rock that are literally a minute from the interstate. I don't know about Russellville since I haven't been to those courses, but at Burns Park, you shouldn't have any problem with parking.

The courses at Burns compliment each other nicely IMO. The Red course is shorter and tighter overall, while the Blue course is more open and longer.

Nashville has a number of good courses very convenient to I-40. Seven Oaks, as I recall, is quite close and worth a stop; Cedar Hill is a little longer detour but my favorite there.

Don't forget an Amarillo stop between Albq. & OKC. Even though we're struggling through a relentless drought, the course is very playable and enjoyable. Aug. 20-21 is the 12th annual TOP OF TEXAS OPEN if you're so inclined. Let me know when you're passing through, maybe we can meet up and I'll give you the designer's tour:).

Thanks for the reply! Also heard about the mounds(?) in Knoxville as a good course. Should have mentioned parking space is important... driving a Uhaul!

The Mounds is in Oak Ridge, not too far out of Knoxville. It's listed as Groves Park on the course search. 18 pretty good holes & a new 9 in the woods. The new 9 only has dirt tees right now & no official signage but it might by the time you roll through. Parking a uhaul would be no problem at Victor Ashe, Roane County, or the Mounds. Admiral Farragut would be tougher, especially if it's crowded, kinda small parking lot. Morningside only has street parking so that would be up to you. If you do journey to Oak Ridge also check out Carl Yearwood, which also has plenty of parking & I've never seen the course crowded. It's a short, very technical 9 with multiple tees. Most holes could be an easy 2 or a tough 3, fun little course, & only a few miles from the Mounds. Also check out this website: http://www.knoxdiscgolf.org/

You can check out the forum & ask any questions you have. If you post when & where you will be you'll probably be able to get some folks to show you around the courses

Don't forget an Amarillo stop between Albq. & OKC. Even though we're struggling through a relentless drought, the course is very playable and enjoyable. Aug. 20-21 is the 12th annual TOP OF TEXAS OPEN if you're so inclined. Let me know when you're passing through, maybe we can meet up and I'll give you the designer's tour:).

I think that course in Amarillo is also worthy of a stop. Some good variety on the course. If I were in the area again, I would make the stop.

I think that course in Amarillo is also worthy of a stop. Some good variety on the course. If I were in the area again, I would make the stop.

I third this. This course is definitely not what you would expect after driving across the panhandle of Texas. I will say this though, I played back in March, I don't know what kind of monster it is the the heat of August.

Another course that's right on your way is Thorpe Park in Flagstaff. It's a really decent course and there are a couple other good courses in Flagstaff from what I hear, but Thorpe is the only one I've played.

Actually am stopping overnight in Amarillo. May play a round in the morning (Tues. 20th Sept.) at rock yard. I'll be the one in the u-haul!

russelville arkansas has 2 very nice courses but if you go through alma AR on I-40 there is a course there that is a breathtaking course.

When you come thru Nashville if you have time for one course then go to Cedar Hill. One of my all-time favorites --even tho I designed some others in the area :)

About halfway to Knoxville is the Cane Creek course in Cookeville. Very close to the interstate. Great course. Worth the stop.

Ron

I drove across the country via the 40... these are the courses I played:
Flagstaff - Snowbowl - somewhat of a disappointment. Not the Worlds course I was expecting.
Albaquerque - Rosevelt Park - nice considering the traffic and multiple use of baskets.
Amarillo - Thompson - Had a great time.
OKC - Dolese - Also had a good time here. Decent course.
Fort Smith - Ben Geren - Decent course. Really flat, but fun shots.
Little Rock - Burns (red and Blue) - Red was fun, lots of birdies. Blue was more championship shots.
Memphis - Bud Hill - AWESOME.
Memphis - Meeman-Shelby - really fun. Two courses. Woods. Play Bud Hill though if you can only chose one.

Also played Victor Ashe and The Mounds on a separate road trip. Both great courses, but both have major flaws.

DSCJNKY