• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hybrid 18 better than a 9?

billnchristy

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
I was thinking...if one had 9 baskets (dreams of winning the DGA raffle) and enough room for an 18 would a hybrid of sorts be more preferred than just a straight up 9 holer?

Attached would be a sample map. Obviously there would be some right of way concerns but I think a solid, clear rule would work here...for example, anyone on the B tees would get right of way...they are further along the course than you and it will get them off the course faster.

What I am talking about is probably confusing, so look at the map and tell me what you think...the idea is you would finish 1-9 then go back and do 1b-9b.

The course could then be modified to 18 if 18 baskets were funded.

Attachments

• 18in9.jpg
    18in9.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 115
I've played a few courses like that, and there are a few things to keep in mind. You have to make sure that all the tees that shoot at the same basket are visible to one another, or you'll have discs flying in from multiple directions at once. Also, if the course is very popular, you run into problems with whose turn it is to play when groups are waiting at both tees for a hole. As long as etiquette and safety concerns are covered, I think that having an extra round of tees that really give a different look definitely elevates the course. I would much rather play to the same baskets with totally different looks than just play twice around a niner to make 18.

I agree on our 9 hole course we play 9 through twice for 18. Your map looks nice and it looks like a nice location from the illustration. Winning the DGA contest would be awesome those baskets look sweet. Maybe win the 9, hold events to raise some $ for the other 9. Or you could put in the 9 and then set up the other 9 as object or poles then raise money and replace poles with baskets when you have the money. That way people get used to the layout of 18. Replace the baskets one by one. I have seen this done by a few courses and it seems to be the best way to do it on a limited budget.

The location is fictional...I am one of those wierd people who just likes making maps and stuff.

I also like saving satellite shots and making courses from them...

Are there any courses around you that don't have maps? If so, you really ought to put your talents to work and make maps like that for them. I think you did a really nice job on the one above, and would love to see things like that for courses I visit.

Well personally I think a 9 with 2 tee pads per hole is better than alternative B pad. My local course is like that. If only have time for 9 I play the Whites if I have more time I play both for 18.

I like it. Hole one has trees on the right side lining the fairway just about the same as the left and the tree in front of the pad of 4 is too far to the right, but overall it is very nice. I might use your map for the upcoming tournament we are having! Can't say for sure but if you wouldn't mind letting me use it and were able to send a high res. copy of the map there maybe be a custom tourney discraft disc in it for you...

I will finish it up tomorrow, ran out of time.

I will send it home and make it right this weekend. No problem using it, disc payment would be awesome...maybe I can whore myself out and never have to play in tourneys but get all the goods...hahaha.

Ha ha yeah that would be cool.
You should start making signs and maps for courses that need them done. When I get my next course design going I will come speak with you....

I might just make a little side biz. out of that. Between work, building custom preamps and doing course maps I might actually be able to eat steak once a month. ;)

I might just make a little side biz. out of that. Between work, building custom preamps and doing course maps I might actually be able to eat steak once a month. ;)

Hey, think of it like this: if you're making course maps/signs, those trips to play new courses become a tax writeoff as a business expense. :)

brilliant_medium.jpg

If you're looking for suggestions: larger font and add hole distances.

Latest posts