• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hybrid 18 better than a 9?

You know, BillandChristy, that Oregon Park in Cobb County, GA, started out as a 9-hole course rather like what you're describing. In the current layout, which may be all you're familiar with, 1-6 and 10-12 (the more open holes) were the original 9-hole layout. Going way back the original designers tried to spread out the tee pads enough to give the player two different looks at each hole. It wasn't as radical as the map you posted way back in May, but it made it more fun to play twice around the 9. I think if you tried to spread out the tees much more than that, you'd cause traffic problems on a 9-hole course.

I also think it's best to avoid spreading your 9-hole layout over the entire available space if you're planning to expand later. Filling the space with 18 fairways to 9 baskets might force you to totally redesign the course from scratch when you get the second 9 baskets.

If you're still developing this dream, I'd suggest picking the brains of the Cobb Disc Golf Club officers. Wayne, Mark, Mike E., etc. might have some good insight. Or better yet, join us and spend your creative juices in Cobb County! I've got more to say, but I'll PM you.

i've played a couple of hybrids. and i've got to say i prefer either just 9. or if anything alternate tee-pads. but for some reason i don't like two pin locations.
PAR MEMBER HERE I COME!!!

Hybrid 18 are ok, but they do have their problems. I was at one yesterday and had some issues waiting for when to throw. I threw my teeshot on number "17" and another group was playing the same hole for number "2". I threw my teeshot because I was on teepad 17 first and was my turn. I threw and while walking to my disc to finish the hole, the large group on 2 started their teeshots. I could not get to my disc for my second shot until they were done. To make it worse, the group on 3 were throwing and the fairway of 17 and 3 intersect. So there I was stuck between two groups throwing teeshots trying to avoid getting hit. Just a mess! Give me a single 9 hole course anyday.

Sounds like a reverse hybrid, not one where the flow remains the same direction for both nines? Normally, the tees for holes 2 and 11 are throwing at the same pin.

Yeah it is a reverse hybrid. The play is confusing at times and I am not sure most people know how to play it correctly as there is no course map posted there.

i have played a couple courses that are 18 tees playing on 9 baskets. as long as the area isn't over run by players it is a good setup. if there are alot of players you will have twice the wait to throw

Latest posts