• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I’m putterly challenged

ray1970

* Ace Member *
Going through the bag before the final round of a winter league and realized I'm now bagging an Envy, a Pig, a Harp, and a Zone.

Seems a little silly and you would think there might be quite a bit of overlap but before you label me certifiable I can explain myself.

The Envy is for max putter distance, dead straight shots with little fade and turnover shots.

The Pig is for general backhand duties but I don't forehand it very well.

The Zone is for forehand duties almost exclusively but I hate the way it feels for a backhand throw.

The Harp is in BT soft and is reserved for short approaches that pretty much stick the landing. It never skips or rolls away. I don't really like throwing it much past 200' due to the floppiness of the plastic.

Sounds good. Why change? But if you do change, use one disc for everything, otherwise do what you're doing and use what works best.

At the moment, I throw Envy like you for long shots, but I go BH and FH. I use a Berg for everything else from anny turnovers to hyzers and everything in between BH and FH. However, I could just as easily use the Envy.

Going through the bag before the final round of a winter league and realized I'm now bagging an Envy, a Pig, a Harp, and a Zone.

I'll see your four putters and raise you 6 MOAR!!!

I have a Ridge, Wizard, Link, Proxy, Nomad, Luna, 2 Envies, a Zephyr and Stego for utility shots. (seems like I'm forgetting some too.)

I'm certainly not a mold minimalist but Zone, Pig and Harp seems excessive for OS approach duties. I can't get by without a Zone but maybe look at different Harp plastic types and wear to cover OS approach duties.

I've never thrown a Harp, do they make them in premium plastic and are they as OS as a Zone?

I've never thrown a Harp, do they make them in premium plastic and are they as OS as a Zone?

The Harp is available in premium plastics. I have them in just about every plastic they make.

Generally, I find the Harp to be a little less stable compared to the Zone. The Harp is deeper and feels more like a putter in the hand and sort of almost has a beaded rim.

I used to bag two Harps and a P2 to cover all of my putter duties. Probably just need to either do that or maybe just work on myself until I am comfortable throwing one mold backhand and forehand.

The Harp is available in premium plastics. I have them in just about every plastic they make.

Generally, I find the Harp to be a little less stable compared to the Zone. The Harp is deeper and feels more like a putter in the hand and sort of almost has a beaded rim.

I used to bag two Harps and a P2 to cover all of my putter duties. Probably just need to either do that or maybe just work on myself until I am comfortable throwing one mold backhand and forehand.

I don't think it's unreasonable at all to use different discs for BH and FH—particularly when talking putters. IMO, deep rimmed discs are much more sensitive to the release. By that I mean just a slight difference in the drag across the finger can really change the trajectory.

I'd say if you can find that magic discs that suits both, great. Otherwise, you are compromising one or both throws.

I've got a Zone, a Harp, and a Jokeri. I prefer the Zone, but it fades too quickly to really throw it around stuff. I can flex the Jokeri around things. The Jokeri has beaten in to the point that it turns too much in the wind, so I added a Harp to the bag for that.

People would say that is overkill, but nobody would really question anyone that has 3 Zones or 3 Harps.

I own over 60 different putters of various molds, for practicing.

I use Infinite Discs "Power Pocket" Putter Pouch which will hold up to 8 discs.

I normally bag 4 putters.
Discraft Challenger -- (first putter I ever used) for "risk of loss/suicide" putts and "get out of trouble" rollers.
DD Fuzion Judge -- for outside the circle and approaches under 150 feet where more fade is needed.
Lat64 Fuzion Pure -- for outside the circle and approaches where less fade is needed.
EV7 Penrose -- for inside the circle putts.

These 4 pretty much cover any throw I might need to make.

Most of my approach shots under 200 feet, I use a GStar Wombat, as it will hold whatever line or angle you put it on, with little to no fade. Not a big fan of the Wombat 3.

I do Eraser/Hemp Wizards for most anything inside circle. Outside of that I have an XT Aviar P&A that is 168g and it's better for a 60ft run at the basket or longer. I like the feel of that XT plastic. Then Zones for approach.

I do so much better with a sticky flight plate where my fingers can use that friction to control spin from the underside.

I carry 3 putters, all in baseline/Pro-type plastic for grip. They cover drives and approaches up to 200' BH, maybe 150' FH, even with my noodle arm. This lineup handles everything I need a putter to do in the mostly-wooded courses I prefer.

1. Putting / understable approach putter (beat-up version of straight putter): Recently switched to Electron Envy. Previously XT Stud, XT Colt, Clutch, Wizard, Yeti Aviar, Warlock, etc.

2. Straight approach putter (fresh version of putting putter)

3. Overstable approach / FH roller: This has been Medium Harp since they came out.

Hey, if more putters work for you, carry on. I play better when I carry fewer discs. :)

Hey, if more putters work for you, carry on. I play better when I carry fewer discs. :)

I'm generally in this camp as well.

While there is technically some overlap with the Harp, Zone, and Pig it doesn't complicate my decision making out on the course.

260' tee shot without any real obstacles? Backhand Pig.

140' upshot and the backhand isn't an option? Zone.

180' approach into a treacherous green and I don't want a bounce, skip or roll? Soft Harp.

If I could make myself get used to the Zone on a backhand I could probably just bag a skippier Zone (Ti plastic, maybe Z) and a stickier Zone (Zflx, maybe Jawbreaker) and just call it a day.

As someone mentioned earlier, I guess me bagging the Pig/Zone/Harp isn't really that much different than someone bagging three Zones. We are both bagging three putters to cover different shots. I'm just using three different molds because that's what currently works for my game.

I carry a silly amount of putters. Got a Ridge Roller for my 25th wedding anniversary gift two years ago and now spoil myself on the number of Discs I carry with me, and since 180' on in is my specialty, easily half the lineup is putters. Let's see. Go-to XT Aviar, beat Deputy (for straddle putts), new Deputy (for shot-shaping), floppy JK Aviar for every approach outside of 100' that's essentially a parachute, Z-Zone for most overstable, moderately worn XT Aviar3 for three-quarters overstable, moderately worn Hard Mercy for flip-hyzering full putter shots, Opto Mercy for full-on putter shots, usually trying two new/different ones that I've won at league to see if I like them (I have an EMac Judge and Discmania soft can't-remember-its-name in there right now), and of course, my 1999 beat-to-Hell Soft Magnet I bought at DeLaveaga's parking lot for turnover wizardry that I've banged more weird-angle 50 to 75-footers than I can remember. Oh, and usually a second XT Aviar so I have two for putting warmups.

Before the Ridge Roller I was using the same Cube bag (with an In-Flight "sun" stamp on it) from 1997 and I might've carried 3 or 4 putters.

The beauty of this sport is you get to do you. If you have a Zone and a Pig and a Harp and they all do different things for you, GREAT! So long as you don't mind carrying them all physically, you're good to go.

Seems a little silly and you would think there might be quite a bit of overlap but before you label me certifiable I can explain myself.
I have a pretty easy breakdown on these things.

What you are describing is the "let the discs do the work" approach where you have a certain shot and you find a disc to execute that shot. You end up carrying a lot of different discs assigned to specific shots. If you are a rec player or local amateur player it can work really well and you can have a lot of success doing that.

The argument that you should pick one disc for your OS putt/approach disc and learn to execute the shots so you are doing the work is valid if you want to be an Open player or have this drive to improve that makes you want to do that. You certainly develop a better overall game with that approach and your success is more in your hands than in however a certain disc reacts that day.

I'm certainly not trying to make a living playing disc golf so really, whichever way I want to do it is fine. Sometimes I roll around with 4-5 different putt/approach disc. Sometimes I strip down the bag, concentrate on executing the shots more and use one putt/approach disc. Both ways work. Using 4-5 putters is easier, though. If you play disc golf for fun, easier=better is a pretty strong argument.

Pretty much settled on Wizards, Envies and a Zone at this point. I've beat in enough Wizards to cover most of my stability needs anymore. I thought about getting one in Diamond to hold its stability longer but realized I already have an Envy for that slot

It's not something I'd do, but if it works for your game then no reason to think any differently. I get choice paralysis and if I'm doubting what disc I want to throw that's worst case scenario. Easier for me to pick one up and make a shot. I'm only carrying a breaker and some steadys.

It's not something I'd do, but if it works for your game then no reason to think any differently. I get choice paralysis and if I'm doubting what disc I want to throw that's worst case scenario. Easier for me to pick one up and make a shot. I'm only carrying a breaker and some steadys.

Choice paralysis...I couldn't find those words myself. Exactly my thoughts. I can't second guess what I'm throwing. Hats off to those 6 Roc guys but I can't comprehend it. #4 slight hyzer or #3 mostly flat? Should be the same flight right?

Two Bergs and a Clutch (second Clutch is putting ONLY). K1 for most beef and no glide, K3 for still beef but nothing crazy and little glide, Icon Clutch for stable/understable driving duties. If I add anything else I'll constantly second guess myself and the uncertainty drives failure for myself.

Maybe it's my ultimate background but I prefer to manipulate flight rather than allow a disc thrown the same way to act differently. Never got into ball golf so it's an unfamiliar idea to me (same swing different club).

Idk...who the hell am I? OP you do you:thmbup:

I have a pretty easy breakdown on these things.

What you are describing is the "let the discs do the work" approach where you have a certain shot and you find a disc to execute that shot. You end up carrying a lot of different discs assigned to specific shots. If you are a rec player or local amateur player it can work really well and you can have a lot of success doing that.

The argument that you should pick one disc for your OS putt/approach disc and learn to execute the shots so you are doing the work is valid if you want to be an Open player or have this drive to improve that makes you want to do that. You certainly develop a better overall game with that approach and your success is more in your hands than in however a certain disc reacts that day.

I'm certainly not trying to make a living playing disc golf so really, whichever way I want to do it is fine. Sometimes I roll around with 4-5 different putt/approach disc. Sometimes I strip down the bag, concentrate on executing the shots more and use one putt/approach disc. Both ways work. Using 4-5 putters is easier, though. If you play disc golf for fun, easier=better is a pretty strong argument.

Funny, but putters seem to be the one category where I sort of "let the disc do the work". Mids and up and my bag is mostly neutral to slightly overstable disc and I prefer to make them do what I want.

I'm over 50 and only started playing about four years ago so I don't have any weird ambitions or dreams of playing in the open division. I do like to play to the best of my ability though.

Also, if I am being honest with myself, I could probably get away with an Envy or two and call it good but then I'd have to add something else to the bag so the discs don't flop around and whatever I add might complicate the rest of my game.

Looking at what is going on for my winter bag, which is mostly sitting around gathering discs I would like to throw, we have
2x aviars 162, 171
2x wedges 160, 173
1 whale
1 rhino
1 colt
1 dart
All g-star, because I hate the feeling of harder plastics when its cold out.

Choice paralysis...I couldn't find those words myself. Exactly my thoughts. I can't second guess what I'm throwing. Hats off to those 6 Roc guys but I can't comprehend it. #4 slight hyzer or #3 mostly flat? Should be the same flight right?
The dirty secret of the six Roc thing is that it's mostly due to having more good Rocs than you need. On any given day if you pick #4 slightly hyzer and pop that first drive with it, you are going to throw #4 all day and #3 and #5 might as well be in the trunk.