• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I been doin some spinnin'

tito

Par Member
starting to get the hang of this and having some fun with my jimmy-rigged setup. Here's my latest batch:

A few didn't quite turn out right: the splooged "meteor blast" x-out destroyer, and what turned out to be the "anti-freak", but they all ended up with their own unique character.
dyes2.jpg

I think they all look great, especially the Freak. I like the stamp on it's own but the color scheme you chose really set it off.

could you describe your "jimmy rig" so maybe the rest of us could get an idea for our own experiments? again good stuff.

Very nice job and I must echo that the PDs look awesome. The color combination really works on the PDs

Nice Work

CHEERS - Koffee

there have been quite a few requests for a spin-dying tutorial of sorts. Is there anyway we could get one added to the stickies? maybe something like how to setup a "splatterproof" spinning chamber, what RPMs are best for each type of swirl design, what type of dye/mixture is needed for spinning etc. or is there something already out there?

I've seen a couple of vids on youtube and I saw the setups were basically a box fan motor with a shrould made around it like the box fan already has but a bit taller to keep te dye from splashing elsewhere. They then placed a round piece of wood with some foam on it to place the disc. I just haven't gotten around to finding the mixing ratios.

well I'm a lazy turdhead. look what i found about 6 threads down: http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8317&start=30&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

you may all proceed to call me an imbecile and throw rotten food at me whilst burning me in effigy.

any fan assembly can work...I use a radiator fan off an 90's GM. the casing of it offers splatter protection. I set it up in my garage and hook wires to my car battery, touching the wires together with my left hand while applying dyes with the right. There's a lot more to it, but that's my basic approach. I let this batch sit for a whole week - 7 days, and it makes a difference.

I did some more spin dyes. here's a pic of my jimmy-rigged setup. I tap the wire terminals together with one hand and apply dye with the other hand.
P1040340.jpg

and here's the latest batch drying on the dining room table. when they get dry I"ll move them to other areas of the house to set for several more days.
P1040344.jpg

A little about the dye itself:
I start with the Rit powders, adding just enough water to stir it into a concentrate. I store these in plastic containers for later and heat them up in a pan on the stove and stir them every once in a while. they seem to get better with age (less gritty), then I fill my squeezers about half full with the concentrate and add dish liquid to get the desired consistency.

...still have some kinks to work out with some colors. lighter colors seem more difficult to achieve ...think its because the hue and depth of the dish soap can deceive. (you'll see what I mean when I post pics of them after rinsing) I wish they'd end up like they do when they're wet, but the layers soak and settle and run so much during the process that some end up looking differently, sometimes cooler though!

I can't get a decent yellow, only orange and red... and my purple is too grainy which can suck too (see star destroyer).

so just go play around with it and try it on stuff you're gonna throw! out-do me so I will have to get better!

Your greens look really good, what are you using to get that color?

Nice work, keep em spinning.