• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I don't know when to use my midrange

ag1052

Bogey Member
Im not sure if this thread goes here or the "equipment" forum so please excuse me if I posted it in the wrong spot. I am new to disc golf (I started about July/Aug). I don't throw very far yet. For drives I throw average about 175' with my Leopard DX. Pretty much any shot where I need to throw 125' or over I use my Leopard. Most shots 125'-30' I use my Flex Challenger as an approach disc. Any shot under 30' I generally use my SSS Magic.

All that being said I just got an ESP Buzz and I havent figured out when Im suppose to use it. If I ever stick it in one of those situations it doesnt seem to work as well as the disc I am already using. Should I just stick with the system I have at the moment or should I force myself to start using my midrange?

the shot is farther than a putter, you need a soft landing, or can't pull the shot off with a driver.

ESP Cyclone and Buzzz and Zone would be a great combination of midranges that have unique flight paths and plenty of glide.

Learn how to throw these discs on soft snap anyhyzers, but the staple of throws should be hyzer snap

for the best results...two finger grip, or lightly held three finger grip tops

Last edited:
Play a few rounds with only your mid. You'll be shocked at how far you can throw it accurately.

This. Mid-ranges are for a lot of players the "workhorses" of their bag. Continue to work with the buzzz, maybe play some buzzz-only rounds to get a quicker feel for it, and you'll be surprised at what you'll be able to do with it with a bit of practice.

You use it when you're at midrange. Duh.

Seriously, though... I usually use a driver on the tee shot and a midrange on the next shot, then a putter to finish out if I missed the chains. Of course, my drives are a lot farther than yours. You're throwing drivers on what I consider midrange territory.

It may be that you can't find a range for it because you're not getting a ton of distance with drivers. In time, as you get longer with your drives, you will probably find the midrange discs to be more and more useful.

Get used to knowing what you can do with that disc. Start throwing it instead of your drivers for a while... even for half a round. Try different strength throws and different levels of hyzer and anhyzer. A good midrange can do a lot of things, if you know how to throw it. The best way to find out how is to use it every single round, multiple times.

if you aren't breaking two hundred, you should probably work on your form more as opposed to worrying about when to use what quite yet

I would argue that I didn't really start playing disc golf until I got my Buzzz. I would reiterate a lot of the advice already. Take it out on your next few rounds ONLY using the buzzz. Putting too. The disc will curve hyzer, anny, or fly flat and straight as long as you need. I can throw my mid about 80% the distance of my best driver, and much more accurately. Be the buzzz, you will love it

I don't have much to add, but I can tell ya what I did. You are about the same place I was a year ago, throwing drivers for anything outside of what I could do with my putters. I could actually throw my shark as far as my drivers, but I kept thinking that because they were labeled "drivers" that they would eventually go farther. I didn't understand how to throw far, and wasn't getting much distance. Over the winter quit using my drivers and only played with my shark, buzzz and aviar. I learned to get them out farther and when I started using my drivers again in spring, there was a noticeable distance gain between the mids and drivers.

Now, I am actually finding it much more useful to use fairway drivers instead of distance drivers on my home courses. There are only 2 holes long enough for me to pull a distance driver on :)

I just posted this in another thread, but I'll post it here, in case you didn't see it there. It will help you a lot, if you do these drills.

No, I wish I could throw like that. It's just a great video, and has helped me and countless others. He has an account here and has posted before, rarely. He does post a bit on DGR, and I think he has a stickied thread over there in the technique section.

It is very unusual that I throw a mid as a second throw on a hole. I'm probably in a bad spot if I am. Every throw but the one off the tee I throw my putter. I use mids off the tee for holes under 250 feet. If I could get them out to 300 I'd throw them on a lot more holes. But I can't. Because I suck. But I went and practiced driving aviars today and was getting them out to 230-240ish, so hopefully that will soon translate into increased mid-range distance.

I use my buzzz a lot but I mainly use it when I feel like I need to throw it really straight. With the 0 rating it really seems to help me. I have started using my putter further out then I used to because I feel like I am gaining more control with it the more I practice that way.