• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I haven't played disc golf in forever

Luke1

Eagle Member
While doing my putting practice tonight, I thought about something- I haven't been to a disc golf course in months.

Here in Las Cruces, there is only one course, and it's not playable.

At the same time, I still wear all my disc golf shirts, and I still go out and practice distance.

Oh the life of a misplaced disc golf addict. I have got to the point where I just enjoy throwing my teebirds and other discs down a field.

Does anyone else have the issue of not living near a disc golf course?

Ultimate Frisbee has been a big savior.

I'm easily within an hour of four really good ones, and a casual 30m bike ride from a decent short course. But it's been a crazy busy summer and family stuff's been keeping me from having the kind of time to get out to 'em, so I've gone much longer stretches without seeing a course than I'm happy with for sure.

What's kept me from throwing drivers at vases and plates in the backyards has been the 3 or 4 excellent practice fields within a mile of my house and having a basket in the backyard to keep my putting from going into hibernation. As long as I can throw, I don't get too grumpy, but it does feel weird (and good) getting back on a real teebox after a few weeks away.

I think the main thing getting to me is that I used to play every day. I used to play multiple times per day. I used live five minutes from three courses. It was so great. I know that when I go to get a real job after I graduate college here in a few years, I'll make sure and find a city that has a nice disc golf scene.

If anarchy happens before then, and the world goes into chaos, I'll be stealing disc golf baskets, at least fifty of them, for Bad Assica. Raiding towns is going to be a pain in the ass, though, so I'll have to hit up country courses. It's going to be tough, gas will be at a premium. It will be worth it, though.

Haven't played in 2 months... It's killing me. I am a freshman at college (University at Buffalo) and with no car and being stranded in the middle of the city of Buffalo I never get to play up here. Being a 15 min drive from Warwick was such a luxury back at home and I miss it. I think I'm just going to camp at the course over Thanksgiving break and get my fix in then. I feel your pain...

Tschink345 said:
Haven't played in 2 months... It's killing me. I am a freshman at college (University at Buffalo) and with no car and being stranded in the middle of the city of Buffalo I never get to play up here. Being a 15 min drive from Warwick was such a luxury back at home and I miss it. I think I'm just going to camp at the course over Thanksgiving break and get my fix in then. I feel your pain...

JOIN www.nefa.com

Im sure if you are willling to throw down on a lil gas money there will be someone that plays warwick and will pick you up if yout not a douche. :lol:

beatz said:
Tschink345 wrote:

JOIN http://www.nefa.com

Im sure if you are willling to throw down on a lil gas money there will be someone that plays warwick and will pick you up if yout not a douche.

No I have a car when I'm at home it's just at college I don't so I never get to play here is all.

I got married two months ago and havent played since. Its not BECAUSE i got married, just been super busy working on the house and other stuff. SUCKS but Ill get out again on the regular soon.

Well i have not played in a few months but for a different reason. My arm is shot to hell and I have devoted my time to PT. (not practice throws, physical therapy :( )

ill4mation said:
I got married two months ago and havent played since. Its not BECAUSE i got married, just been super busy working on the house and other stuff. SUCKS but Ill get out again on the regular soon.

Thats what they all say. ;)

Warwick was my original Home Course. I'm living in South Jersey now. I had 2 courses in Vineland as my closest courses and they are about 40mins away.

I miss Warwick though. Got to play the new layout in July. It's a shame the town did that to the course, but the new holes were challenging.

ill4mation said:

I got married at my wife's folks' place in Santa Cruz., and was out the door to DeLaveaga at 6a every morning except the actual day of the wedding. So long as I was back by about 930 to hit the to-do lists, it worked out. That was a truly excellent week... wedding was pretty good too.

Luke said:
While doing my putting practice tonight, I thought about something- I haven't been to a disc golf course in months.

Here in Las Cruces, there is only one course, and it's not playable.

At the same time, I still wear all my disc golf shirts, and I still go out and practice distance.

Oh the life of a misplaced disc golf addict. I have got to the point where I just enjoy throwing my teebirds and other discs down a field.

Ultimate Frisbee has been a big savior.

It would be cool if they put a course in at White Sands.

that sucks man...I would probably buy a portable basket so I at least have something to throw at in a field....or go find some woods that aren't to bad and make my own holes! Got any friends with some land? :lol:

Greatzky said:
Warwick was my original Home Course. I'm living in South Jersey now. I had 2 courses in Vineland as my closest courses and they are about 40mins away.

I miss Warwick though. Got to play the new layout in July. It's a shame the town did that to the course, but the new holes were challenging.

What happened to Warwick??!!!!!??

ill4mation said:
Same thing happened to me at one point. No joke, next thing I knew it had been almost TEN YEARS since I had last played.

uNicedmeMan said:
Greatzky said:

What happened to Warwick??!!!!!??

last year or maybe even the year before the town came into the park and Put in a new soccer field near holes 3 and 4. Both of those holes are no longer playable. The town had a meeting and decided they needed more soccer fields even though the complex right across the street has multiple fields. The disc golfers had no idea. Luckily the town, after ripping the baskets out and adding a new parking lot, were compassionate and allocated resources so they could make 2 new holes near the wolfe woods section. The 2 new holes are interesting, but they are nothing compared to holes 3 and 4 which were definitely 2 of the coolest holes to play anywhere!

Damn. That sucks alot and I'm sorry for your loss. I agree that those two holes were extremely badass. I'm glad that they at least allowed two new holes to keep the course complete....

The first and only time my friends and I played Warwick we knew nothing about wolfe woods. I was doing a little dgcoursereview research today and I guess I'll have to go back soon to check it out along with the big course of course.

Luke said:

I suffer from the same problem, I live in Columbus Ga., within an hour drive in any direction there are courses. Atlanta has several but it's 100 miles north and no one has the gas money to drive that far on a weekly basis. Columbus is the second largest city in Georgia yet we're not blessed with at least one course. Go figure...

I don't know how to go about getting our city to place a DGC here. There are plenty of nice locations capable of having a permanent course.