• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Help] i need a long straight driver that will turn at the end.

Cool, I would like to see it sometime if you ever get a chance. Myself if I put too much hyzer on a disc it will flip flat but fade at the end. But this is with a sidewinder. Maybe an under stable mid is the ticket. Do you intentional OAT it as well? I remember Feldy talking about that before to achieve certain lines.

I will intentionally OAT sometimes for shots but not for this specific shot. This shot is all about having the power to do it and choosing the right disc. I use pretty beat rocs for this shot and they go upwards of 400' on this line. Its just a slow hyper flip to flat on a low line. And usually once it hits flat or slightly anhyzer it just continues to go. Its a beautiful shot when done right, but it is tricky to do.

as has already been stated, this is a really hard shot to master. when i try it i use my most understable discs which are a really beat DX roc or an icon patriot. might be easier to learn a forehand shot. :)

He said long straight and a right hand finish.
Actually he said "turn at the end of the flight."

So I imagined 350 plus 10 foot tunnel then 20 feet right to finish around 375. I've seen every shot on youtube by the pro's and I've never seen this done without FH.

If you can hyzer flip 350 straight then turn right I would like to see it.
You made up the 350' requirement.

Getting a disc to turn late like that is much easier if you are able to overpower the disc. I find the later in the flight you want the turn, the more difficult the shot. I also find that, as others have said, beat versions of "workable" discs are the easiest for this shot. You "just" need to throw a hyzer flip and add the tiniest bit of OAT and select a disc where the fade has been mostly beat out of it but it hasn't lost too much HSS. Discs like the Eagle-X and Roc like people have suggested tend to beat this way.

Yeah he didn't specify the distance which leads to confusion. I still think a FH shot would be much more predictable as you don't have to be as precise with the angle or even a little wind can kill a turning disc if not judged properly.

i am not in the same distance range, but i have found my leopard to be the disc for this shot. dx 165 into mild wind or calm conditions, dx 150 down wind..........i have a heavier star 170g that i cant get to flip in this way, so maybe max weight star or champ might be the right one for this shot with a touch more power than myself. i have had this happen with my 180 kc roc at about 350, but dont throw my rock that far on regular basis.

I've pulled this shot off with a DX Teebird, DX Roc, ESP Comet, and on a larger scale a Star Wraith. Something that starts off stable to overstable and gets beat works well.
The faster the disc, the more precise you need to be on release, as the margin of error is much less and the effects of a poorly executed shot are exaggerated.

He said long straight and a right hand finish. So I imagined 350 plus 10 foot tunnel then 20 feet right to finish around 375. I've seen every shot on youtube by the pro's and I've never seen this done without FH.

If you can hyzer flip 350 straight then turn right I would like to see it.

I can get it pretty far and dead straight, then have it turn smoothly right, but like i said it's hard.
And you have to have the right disc for You.

Cool, I would like to see it sometime if you ever get a chance. Myself if I put too much hyzer on a disc it will flip flat but fade at the end. But this is with a sidewinder. Maybe an under stable mid is the ticket. Do you intentional OAT it as well? I remember Feldy talking about that before to achieve certain lines.

You're not putting enough speed and/or spin on the sidewinder. That's why it's fading on you.

This takes hours and hours of hyzer flip practicing.

There's a course near me that has a hole like this. Basket to the right but you have to make a mando to the left of a tree on the right hand side.
My forehands could not reach the distance, which is maybe like 300 or so. There's actually 2 mando's, so you have to be in between them and end right.

That's exactly where I pulled off this shot with my star sidewinder. So I can see why you'd want this shot vs a sidearm. Plus there's no skip, just a gentle slide towards the right, to the basket.

You can do it, it's not an easy shot but I do it with a beat 150 Teebird. Leopard works too.

Honestly get a Firebird an throw it FH it's the same thing easier.

You can do it, it's not an easy shot but I do it with a beat 150 Teebird. Leopard works too.

Honestly get a Firebird an throw it FH it's the same thing easier.

Not for all of us. I can't forehand past 200 so that wouldn't work for me.

yea I can finally forehand the hole I talked about, but couldnt for awhile.
both are hard techniques for me, but it really depends on the hole which one you'd use.

Thanks everyone. I don't throw forehand except from behind a bush to get up and over to the basket. If I try to throw forehand for distance it hurts my arm so I haven't done much experimenting with it. I tried the hyzer flip shot you guys are talking about today and its a very difficult shot to make with any consistency.

its shots like this that makes me thankful i have a solid flick. the only disc i could consistently do this with was a fury. it was like a meathook to the right. like the exact opposite of a firebird. it was crazy. opto fury has my vote, of course aside from flicking.

Not for all of us. I can't forehand past 200 so that wouldn't work for me.

That's kind of funny since you've written about having a pretty big BH, I'm just the opposite. Can get up to 450 on a FH and barely hit 320 on a BH.

Just goes to show you need to know your skill set to be successful.

As others have said, this "late fade" shot you are describing is possible but tough to execute consistently. It takes a smooth hyzer release with an understable disc. I prefer beat Sidewinders. I've also been able to get that late fade with seasoned flat top Rocs.

When you get it just right...it's a beautiful thing.

That's kind of funny since you've written about having a pretty big BH, I'm just the opposite. Can get up to 450 on a FH and barely hit 320 on a BH.

Just goes to show you need to know your skill set to be successful.

Yea, my forehand is pretty much non existent. It only comes out when it is absolutely needed.

Second on both the hyzerflib and better yet the forhand for this shot.

That said, I guy I play with (who drives about 350ish), has a havoc (Lat 64 in goldline) that strangely and inexplicably does exactly this. He throws it. It goes straight. And after about 200 ft. it turns of hard right. It seems impossible to me, and I suspect he's slightly hyzerflipping it without realizing it or me seeing him do it, but however it happens, it's cool to see.

My favorite disc for this throw (when hyzerflipping) was an ancient beat to hell cheetah, that I sadly lost and miss every round. LOVED that disc...

Latest posts