• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need some help on throwing tight wooded shots.

StarFirebird

Banned
Hello everyone and good day.

I've run into a problem as of late.I have been having some trouble on those tight wooded shots.Everytime I release the disc it will go right instead of staying straight.It's almost as if I'm grip locking it,but I'm not.I know where I want to throw it but it just doesn't go there.It's kinda funny,on more open shots I can throw it straight as an arrow.

The discs I use for these shots are Aviars,Rocs,Cobras and my Viking(for the longer ones).

The grip I use is a bit different,because I have a cyst on my ring finger which over the years has become painful.This is how my grip goes.Index finger under rim,middle finger under rim,ring finger on top of middle finger and pinky under rim.I's a nice comfortable grip and it leaves me pain free.

Do you all think it may be my grip change over the past few years?Before I went to this grip I was able to hit these shots without too many problems as I was using the Climo power grip.

I'm heading out to the local course tomorrow to work on these shots.I was thinking of trying the 2-finger shot(index finger,middle finger under rim) and see where that gets me.I'm also going to try not pulling back all they way upon release,sorta like just going half-way then releasing.

If you guys have any tips for an old veteran of the game let me know.My ears are always open for suggestions on the game. :thmbup:

Sounds like it's youre mental game. You said you are hitting nice straight lines out in the open but when you go for the tunnel shots you are psyching yourself out.

When I'm needing a nice straight tunnel shot I always reach for my Beat to Crap DX Wraith. Flies super straight for me.

I wouldn't think it's your grip if you can throw straight on open shots. What I would advise you to do is be very relaxed when you throw, almost as if you're trying to fall asleep. This loosens up your muscles and makes you less jerky and much more consistent.

If that doesn't help, you might just want to try mixing it up for a while, maybe throwing forehands or experimenting with different things, and then go back and see how you do.

Sounds like a confidence issue... Just relax and visualize the line. I will often use a slower disc for tight shots if I am feeling a bit off, but generally it's just a matter of telling myself that I've hit smaller gaps a million times and executing.

I'd try first throwing a slower disc than you normally do, then throwing a faster disc and powering down. If you have the same results, then I'm gonna say its mental and you just need to not psych yourself out. Instead of saying "I need to throw straight to not be in trouble" or something along those lines, say "I need to throw at the basket." You know you could hit that line in a field no problem, so pretend it's a field.

For me, pointing with my elbow helps a bit. A lot of people that I play with will usually have some sort of method related to this. I just throw a few controlled shots nice and smooth and make sure to pay attention to my body orientation before a round to warm up.
Visualize the line that you would like to hit...not the gap that you need to make, or the obstacle that you don't want to hit.

I wouldn't change to a two finger grip. Unless you are really comfortable with the grip right away it can have disasterous outcomes. I added 4 shots to my average over a three month period while thinking that I was gaining distance. All I did was lose consistency...

Luckily I ran into an ex-tourney player from NC that put my grip back right in two rounds, straightened my aim, and had me bombing 50' more than the two finger.

Thanks for the advice.

It may be my mental game and I just might be noticing it or it could be me not being loose enough.I've never really payed attention as my main focus is on the shot at hand.

I'll be sure to try some forehands as well.I never really thought of forehands until just now.I could possibly park these shots with a forehand as it's a bit easier to guide than a backhand.

I'll let you guys know my progress on these shots.

I wouldn't change to a two finger grip. Unless you are really comfortable with the grip right away it can have disasterous outcomes. I added 4 shots to my average over a three month period while thinking that I was gaining distance. All I did was lose consistency...

Luckily I ran into an ex-tourney player from NC that put my grip back right in two rounds, straightened my aim, and had me bombing 50' more than the two finger.

I was kind of thinking that too.I remember back when I used the 2-finger grip years ago that it would always cause my disc to flip way too fast and make me not very accurate.

For some reason now when I throw it the disc will hyzer on me instead of flipping.It may be where Ive played for so long that I have a better feel for different grips.It's still not very accurate though as I learned earlier this year in a tourney when my ring finger was in some bad pain.I still shot -7 down,but my putting saved me that day :p

Sounds like a confidence issue... Just relax and visualize the line. I will often use a slower disc for tight shots if I am feeling a bit off, but generally it's just a matter of telling myself that I've hit smaller gaps a million times and executing.

^^Probably this. How long have you been in this"pulling to the right" slump? It could be just that, a temporary kind of funk you're in. I seem to go through them for a week or two at a time, then they just go away. You should eventually play through it.

For starters, I love hyzerflipping understable mids/drivers for this.

Secondly, you're probably trying to put a little extra oomph on the disc to carry through the tunnel. This causes you to start your pull earlier and then you end up firing later b/c it's like too fast too soon, overcorrection by slowing down when you should have been accelerating (right pec) and then trying to speed up again (grip lock) to find the hit. Also, make sure you're not starting your pull before you plant your pivot foot b/c you could be shifting your weight forward late and doing this also.

My brother has the exact same problem and I've been watching him like a hawk lately and he does all this ^^

^^Probably this. How long have you been in this"pulling to the right" slump? It could be just that, a temporary kind of funk you're in. I seem to go through them for a week or two at a time, then they just go away. You should eventually play through it.

I've been in this slump for about a month or two now.It could be just that a bit of funk I'm in.My putting has not been too funky though :D

@BrotherDave

You know what,I think that may be my problem right there.I haven't been hyzer-flipping like I used to.Before I had to change my grip I would Hyzer-Flip a DX-Classic Roc and beat up Aviar for these shots.Here lately I've been just trying to throw everything flat.

Yes, throwing flat all the time can lead you to roll your wrist over easier too.

Yes, throwing flat all the time can lead you to roll your wrist over easier too.

I bet that's what is going on and I just don't realize it.

Thanks again as you have made me realize that me not hyzer-flipping could be the problem(which I think it is). :thmbup:

I'll you guys know my progress.

open shots fly the line you want, but you can't hit the same line with the pressure of a tight wooded area... a few folks already stated mental, then many recommended a change in disc or technique...
Assuming your open field throws are really the straight as an arrow line you want on the tight wooded hole, it sounds like you need to find a way to get rid of the perceived pressure of the looming trees- relax and throw the throw the disc you need on the line you can already hit in the open.

Take a stack of discs and practice the hole in a non-game situation

Something that may help in more situations (suggestion adapted from fighters/ martial artists who train to relax when being struck by taking hits in training):
Take a stack of discs and fire the first couple straight as an arrow, full throws at the trees you're usually afraid of hitting-commit. Then throw a few on your desired line. If needed throw a stack at the trees half way down on the right- and another half way down on the left, maybe with a disc or two in each stack thrown up the gut. After you lose the fear of hitting trees, it's no different than an open field shot. Relax, choose a line and throw it.

I found the problem.

Wrong discs for the hole and hyzer-flipping helped me get back to my normal tight wooded throws.

I started using my 10x and 11x KC Pro Aviars for the shorter to mid range holes(180 to 230ft).

I also threw my Star Aviar Driver on some hyzer shots which worked well for me.I was throwing my Rocs for these holes,but now I've come to the conclusion that I don't need to throw a Roc for these holes, I've got my Aviars for this.

And I brought back my good ol Champion Starfire.The Starfire works great for the uphill and slightly left longer wooded shots.Plus I found out that I can throw this thing pretty far sidearm.

I have been shooting -6 under average at Warriors and -4 to -5 under average at Wingdeer.I ended up shooting -12 under yesterday at Warriors just changing a few discs and throwing technique.I haven't played Wingdeer yet,but I'm sure I can get my score a lot better there a well.

Thanks for helping me to remember my throwing techniques and disc selection.Thanks for the other info as well. :thmbup:

Good footwork is what the rest of your shot process keys off of...i would confirm your not taking different steps when on tight holes vs. open field.

Yesterday this happened to me... I pulled my buzzz maybe 60 ft right of where it should have been, not due to a late release, but rather my plant foot not coming to the location it needed to on that step. it was back a few inches, which caused my weight to not be as balanced and thus carried through to the flight.

Good footwork is what the rest of your shot process keys off of...i would confirm your not taking different steps when on tight holes vs. open field.

Yesterday this happened to me... I pulled my buzzz maybe 60 ft right of where it should have been, not due to a late release, but rather my plant foot not coming to the location it needed to on that step. it was back a few inches, which caused my weight to not be as balanced and thus carried through to the flight.

I always use the same amount of footsteps regardless of the hole.I found this out the hard way years ago when I use to play in tournaments.Now I use a four step for my footwork.

The only time I stay in one place is on close approach shots.