• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm Retired After Work Today!!!

i took an early retirement / pension buy out 4 years ago. now i am ready to go back to work for the exercise and a little social interaction. plus it sucked for me to be near broke most of the time. might go part time after another 2.5 years when i can draw SS benefits, but i am pretty sure i've had enough of just hanging out. of course that took about 3 years :). best of luck to you and keep that heart rate up.

i took an early retirement / pension buy out 4 years ago. now i am ready to go back to work for the exercise and a little social interaction. plus it sucked for me to be near broke most of the time. might go part time after another 2.5 years when i can draw SS benefits, but i am pretty sure i've had enough of just hanging out. of course that took about 3 years :). best of luck to you and keep that heart rate up.

this is really funny, i logged and had a "New Nice" on this post so i might as well use this space to update. the 24TH of this month i am hanging up my work spurs for the last time. i've got enough saved to live til my first SS check comes in so i am getting out while the getting is good. so much has changed in the world since i wrote this. now i am wanting to work on living life in peace and at a much more relaxed pace and have a lot more insight on doing it right this time.

perhaps some more retirees can chime in on how things and their perception of a happy retirement has changed.....

perhaps some more retirees can chime in on how things and their perception of a happy retirement has changed.....

When I retired, my plan was to build my retirement home, then travel the world with my wife. It took a year and a half to complete our home. During that time I started to play disc golf, but unfortunately the nearest course to my house required an hour and a half round trip commute. After moving in to our new home, to avoid the commute I purchased a 25 acre tract of land that my sons and I eventually built two disc golf courses on. That way I could play disc golf whenever and as much as I wanted.

As you can imagine, my wife and I do not travel the world as we had planned. Instead, she became a Master Gardener and teaches gardening to the kids in the local schools. Me? I commute an hour and a half round trip to my property where I work on our courses. There's always a project that needs to be completed, so I rarely play any more, although I could if I wanted to.

My suggestion to new retirees would be to be open to unexpected opportunities. You may not end up doing what you had originally planned, but your new plan could be a whole lot more fun and rewarding in the end. Best of luck to you in your retirement!

I retired from teaching in 2011. With all of the changes being made and lack of support from the administration, was time to get out. Had a good teaching and coaching career, but walked away and have had no desire to go back, even just to sub! Started playing disc golf at 55 and spend most of my days now on the road seeking out challenging courses. My goal for this year yet is to hit course number 200. I don't do tournaments as my time to too valuable to wait for someone else to decide to throw. If I get tired for the day, I go home, if not I hit more courses. I have had 3 days now with over 100 holes per day. Retirement is great, especially at this time of year when the days are nice, and you know the routine that you and your colleagues used to grind thru. Enjoy each and every day from this day on!

I stopped working in March due to an ongoing injury. (I officially retired in August.) With COVID hitting I thought what a perfect time to be confined to a couch. Now that I'm much better and we're starting to figure out how to handle COVID the reality of my retirement is starting to match my perception.

After catching up on some of the honey do-s, today will be my first round since August of last year. (When I injured myself for the 2nd time.) My plan is for a 9 hole putter round, lunch from a favored diner, a shower, a nap and some TV time. This has always been my retirement perception. The reason for the 9 hole putter round is because after three surgeries to my throwing arm and hand, I now have a piece of plastic holding my rotator cuff together and I'm not going to push it too hard. I'll be happy if I'm relatively pain free after the nap. And if not, viva Vicodin!

After catching up on some of the honey do-s, today will be my first round since August of last year. (When I injured myself for the 2nd time.) My plan is for a 9 hole putter round, lunch from a favored diner, a shower, a nap and some TV time. This has always been my retirement perception. The reason for the 9 hole putter round is because after three surgeries to my throwing arm and hand, I now have a piece of plastic holding my rotator cuff together and I'm not going to push it too hard. I'll be happy if I'm relatively pain free after the nap. And if not, viva Vicodin!

You have enough free time now to learn to throw with your off hand if need be!

I can start collecting SS Dec 30. I'm just not sure if I'm mentally ready to walk away just yet. Business is at an all-time high, and I'm recognized as one of the best there is in my field. I make time for golf and rarely work more than 28 hours a week, so I feel I'm in a sweet spot. Today is day 5 of a staycation, and then it's off to the Cascades Friday for a few more days of rnr.

Options!

I can start collecting SS Dec 30. I'm just not sure if I'm mentally ready to walk away just yet. Business is at an all-time high, and I'm recognized as one of the best there is in my field. I make time for golf and rarely work more than 28 hours a week, so I feel I'm in a sweet spot. Today is day 5 of a staycation, and then it's off to the Cascades Friday for a few more days of rnr.

Options!

what's your field?

During that time I started to play disc golf, but unfortunately the nearest course to my house required an hour and a half round trip commute. After moving in to our new home, to avoid the commute I purchased a 25 acre tract of land that my sons and I eventually built two disc golf courses on. That way I could play disc golf whenever and as much as I wanted.

...Me? I commute an hour and a half round trip to my property where I work on our courses.

You didn't like the hour and a half it took to play, so you bought property an hour and a half away to build courses?

You didn't like the hour and a half it took to play, so you bought property an hour and a half away to build courses?

Yep. Seems crazy, right? I looked for a long time for an affordable property nearby, but I live in a densely populated area where land values are high. I was actually lucky to find an affordable tract as close as I did. But that commute to the city park that I grew to hate? Well, it's not actually all that bad, now that I'm driving to my own course instead.

Yep. Seems crazy, right? I looked for a long time for an affordable property nearby, but I live in a densely populated area where land values are high. I was actually lucky to find an affordable tract as close as I did. But that commute to the city park that I grew to hate? Well, it's not actually all that bad, now that I'm driving to my own course instead.

You're still living my dream...I can't wait to get some property.

In the same boat, kind of, that you are. Aside; my wife went to SWT, now Texas State, and I lived up there during her last year of school. You know G. W. Bailey lives there? From Police Academy.

Sorry to get off track. I am looking at land up to a couple hours away as well. Price of property in my area is ridiculous and is split up so much that most don't have easements to enter the land.

And retirement was awesome for me. But three years in I knew I needed extra money to buy all the toys and land I want. So I'm working again. And will probably retire a second time in 20 or so years. By then I'll have 5 paychecks coming in every month and will be making almost more than I did while working for Uncle Sam.

You have enough free time now to learn to throw with your off hand if need be!

I tried that the last time a wracked myself up. It wasn't pretty when I tripped on my X-step and fell off the tee pad. It was pretty funny though.

EDIT: BTW I didn't get out to play. I injured my foot. Maybe next week.

Last edited:

Latest posts