• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Improving smoothness and distance

Ghorg

Hello.

I used to strong arm everything, but decided to rebuild my form and now everything is much easier. I think my legs are now the problem cause back foot points to wrong direction. Should i go more wide rail or stay with straigth reachback? Is it wrong to look all the way back to disc in the reachback?

https://youtu.be/PonFqQTfWEA

Comments?

To fix the foot problem try to turn back/reach back later, lead with your toes and try a smaller/shorter x-step.

Im not a expert, but i would say your biggest issue seems to be the brace, it looks like your spining out.

Your X step is too long and is facing away from your target. If you look at slo mo videos of the pros their X step is a few inches long at the most, and it is perpendicular to the target. Your hips are also spinning rather than being braced on your leg.

Watch here how all the pros' hips/torsos stay behind their plant foot. The weight stays on top of the rear foot, up high until their plant, where it comes down and forward-but even at its most forward point it is still behind the plant foot. Also, with the exception of Schusterick, you can see the smaller X step I mentioned earlier.
To answer your questions: the reachback should be all the way, that isn't your problem; the issue is your legs/hips are initiating the reachback, causing issues with the eventual brace. Your hips shouldn't be turning as far back and your legs should still be pointed more perpendicular to the target (rather than away from the target), but your torso should be turned at the waist in the reachback.
I'll let others be more specific

Last edited:
Thanks for the tip bsammons. I have tried to fix that perpendicular problem, but haven't found the solution so far. Now with your help it seems I got it right.

I tried that small x-step walking home on my mat and it felt different but not bad at all. I can definitely see my hips don't turn as far as before and I'm going more sideways than butt first. Also now that my x-step is smaller I get bigger last step and bracing seems easier. Can't wait to try this on field.

My reachback happens later and is it okay when my hand moves back when my right leg moves forward? I'll try to get new video when I go to field next time.

Right arm and right leg should be stretched out at the same time; the peak of the reachback should be when your right toes land on the ground, and then you use the brace of that leg against the tee pad to accelerate your arm into the throw. If the sideways X step feels strange it helps if you take a small hop in between like Feldberg does. McBeth almost has a mini half-hop, while Schusterick stays on the ground. Both styles work, just depends on your build.

Agree with all the above stuff. Look at your balance. If you start in balance it all becomes so much easier.

Frame 1 - Simon is in the Hershyzer Drill leading the stride butt first into the wall and balanced perfectly upright. You are leaning back and would be kicking the wall first. Also note Simon's rear foot and leg is more perpendicular(135 degrees) to the target while your rear foot/leg is basically facing 180 degrees away from the target making it hard to turn and load back into/inside your posture/foot/leg and make a forward move.

Frame 2 - Simon still perfectly dynamically balanced upright between his feet and turning back centered, just before the plant and relaxed arm. You are leaning back outside posture and fully extended/over swing. Your stance would be too far away from the Door Frame and having to lean back to it and wouldn't be able to lead your weight forward/butt drop into the plant. Your rear knee is behind your ankle and can't be properly swiveled/leveraged forward from the ground up. If you guys were in a tug of war, Simon would easily pull you over as all his weight is leveraged inside his rear foot. You are already tipping over behind your rear foot and wouldn't take much effort to push or pull you over.

Frame 3 - Simon has completely left the rear foot and swiveled the knee forward and fully braced against the front foot/leg and cleared the front hip. You still have weight stuck back on your rear foot with your front foot planted, but not able to clear the front hip.

Frame 4 - Simon is in his superman finish pose fully braced and note how his rear foot continued forward behind his front leg to the right side of the tee pad. You are standing up and your rear foot is spinning out around to the left side of the tee pad.
u9wKKUa.png

Is Simon pushing of hos left leg there or is he falling over into the brace?

The other way around. When bracing properly your back foot should be weightless which means you can't push off of it.

^^ this. What happens is the weight goes from on/over the left leg to the front. The back leg pushes forwards while the weight is still on it (think pulling on a post stuck in the ground), and then the front leg braces as it receives this weight (rough analogy, but think of when the post would come out and you're then on your right leg and your left leg is in the air because of the rapid shift of your weight)

I think i figured out the x-step problem. I used to always plant my second step (right leg in 4-step run up) to 90 angle so that my hips open and I can do even 60-70cm x-step. BUT when I turn that right leg to 45 angle I can oly x-step max 25cm or so. Just wanted to share if anyone else has butt-first or backleg 180 angle-problems.

Gonna post a new video when I get the chance.

It's been a while, but now I think i've improved a lot.

I changed my style to more sideways and the run-up is now with 3-steps. Before my timing was like 1-2-plant-and-whip now it feels more like 1-2-plantwhip so the pulling starts almost same time I plant. Feels like I can actually get some power from my feet.

The throws were with teebirds 360ft and leaks little to the right, but that doesn't concern me, since the timing is different and i'll probably need to get used to it.

Is there any vital mistakes in my throw? Next I am going to incorporate forwardswing during the run-up and adding one more step.

https://youtu.be/Ax_tbZgJDOc

Latest posts