• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] In Search of Overstable Driving putter

Gmtata01

Eagle Member
I'm looking for a overstable putter. I currently bag a Star avair 3 and S line P2......let me know.

Wanting to stay with Innova mostly. Thanks

Pigs have a little wider rim for a putter and are a little shallower and a little more overstable than Rhynos. Rhynos are deeper and not quite as overstable as Pigs, so just depends on the stability you want and what is more comfortable in the hand for you. Rhynos have also been run in a lot more plastics, so if you really want premium plastic, the Pig isn't really a choice. They ran some Blizzard Champion Pigs for the Innova Factory store a while back, but I'd stay away from them. They neither felt nor flew the same as a regular Pig.

I'm looking for a overstable putter. I currently bag a Star avair 3 and S line P2......let me know.
Wanting to stay with Innova mostly. Thanks

Since you're bagging the Aviar3 and P2, the other Innova overstable putter I've tried is the Rhyno. My Champion Rhynos have more glide than I originally expected. Good disc.

Going out to Discmania, their P3 isn't as overstable as I was hoping it'd be, but maybe their new P3X will be. The S-Line P2 always did well for me before I put the Av3 in my bag...

If your hung up on Innova then I would say Pig and Rhyno but the Harpnis just great if your willing to branch out.

+1 on Rhyno if you really must stick with Innova. But unless you are sponsored you should really consider breaking rank and looking at a Zone. A lot of people would agree that it is a disc everyone should have in their bag. It's one of the very few discs that there isn't a good Innova variant of. And I'm all about Innova, they account for 15/18 discs in my bag.

I actually bag both a Rhyno and Zone. Rhyno I use for shorter shots that I am rarely throwing full power. Great for upshots, but because it is less stable than the Zone, it is a bit easier to work at those slower speeds. Zone feels better for forehands and is definitely the disc I reach for when I need to fade hard (but shorter than my Firebirds). The Zone is a bit faster, but the overstability means I throw it about the same distance as the Rhyno when both are thrown full power (but much different lines). The Rhyno will fly straight but fade at the end of its flight, the Zone starts to fade early and also skips more. Sorry for all of this info, but I love both of these molds and enjoy pointing other people in their direction.

Envy, Caltrop, Harp in order of OS. I bag all three and love all three. Envy for driving. Caltrop for upshots that need to stick when they land. Harp for big spike hyzers and driving/upshots on windy days.

Break away from innova unless your sponsored by them...treat yourself to a zone. Im not a zoner, but I will admit they are great for what they do.

And btw, wth at aviar 3 not doing it for you?

Break away from innova unless your sponsored by them...treat yourself to a zone. Im not a zoner, but I will admit they are great for what they do.

And btw, wth at aviar 3 not doing it for you?

:thmbup: ESP Zones are perfect for short utility needs.

For Innova I like the Rhyno for this. So many people like champs, but I recall them being OS/glideless (I haven't thrown a ton, and SD86 says they have more glide than expected...so like all Innova I assume there's lots of variety). I have actually enjoyed throwing a couple of star and Gstar that I have tried, my sample size is small, so I am confused why those plastics aren't as popular in the Rhyno. But those ones were very HSS with a late fade, rather than a glideless fade out of your hand flight.

For any company I would go for a Zone or Harp though.

Edit: I feel pjhayes7's post above is bang on.

Since others are suggesting discs outside of Innova, I have to throw out the Scale. Its really the perfect driving putter as long as you know how to throw a putter off the tee...much like the Pig/Hawg I suggested earlier, the Scale has very little glide. Great for windy days and shots that need to hit an stick.

In my earlier post I did not mention discs outside of Innova/Discmania. I bag the Harp myself. It was $$ today into some headwinds. After all the praise talk, though, I might look for a Zone the next time I go to PIAS or Disc Stalker...

plus One vote for the Prodiscus Jokeri! (available at MarshallStreetdiscgolf) I've tried tons of driving putters, for me, the Jokeri wins, for feel and flight, both BH and FH- trust me, you will not be disapointed

Latest posts