• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Inbetween discs question.

greenjeans

Been playing since November and currently addicted- probably 4-5 rounds a week. Getting better, no doubt the time spent on this site has helped.

I have in my bag: 164 star wraith, 168 Star TL (my new favorite disc), DX Teebird, JLS 165gm, Champion sidewinder, Star shark 172gm, and a magic putter.

For reference, my TeeBird and TL are right at 290-310 on calm days, flat ground. Straight 90% to the end with a left finish of about 15ft off the original line.

Now that my distance is coming along, I'm finding that I need a disc somewhere between my TL and the Shark. The TL is getting longer day by day and the shark sometimes seems just
a bit too short. If I try to crank on the shark, my form starts to leave me and I turn it over or hang on to it too long and it goes RIGHT of the target.

Is there a disc somewhere in between those ? Mostly for straight shots in the 240-275ft range.

Thanks

If you would like to try something more stable give the ROC a shot. I used the shark and it worked well for the type of distance and shot you are describing. It could be a small flaw in your form when you try and muscle up on the Shark to streach it out for distance. The only reason I say that is becouse I use to have the same problem. When I tried to put extra power into my mid shots they would pull to the right.

Go by the numbers from Joe's Flight Chart.

A Roc would put you on the upper end of the mid-range drivers.
Past that (barely) would be the slowest or oldest drivers. Cobra comes to mind.
Under stable short drivers come next. Polaris or a Leopard.
Moe neutral short drivers after that. Stalker or a Squall.

Personally. I'm not a Roc thrower. Nothing wrong with them. I keep a beat in SJLS and a newer QJLS to handle that in-between shots.

Z Buzzz would be nice and straight at the 240-275ft range. Since it is faster than a Shark, you don't have to throw as hard to get it out at that range. But it will still work at about the same type of throws as you would use a shark at, so there might be an either/or situation, rather than a compliment. Core is another mid that I would say is longer than a Shark.

I used to throw a Shark as a mid-range and had the same problem as you that I just couldn't get it far enough. I switched to a Buzzz and it has improved my game dramatically. I started out with a Z but I now carry three of them in my bag (Z for super straight, ESP for slight left turning shots, X for slight right turning shots). It is by far my favorite disc. Also I found that I could throw my putter (medium Ion) almost as far as my shark (around 200).

Ahhh, thanks for the suggestions.

Just remembered I have a brand new Buzz that my brother-in-law gave me a month back or so....just have to find it & give it a whirl.

Will pick up a Roc next time I'm by the dics store - I hear that name popping up more and more.

greenjeans said:
Ahhh, thanks for the suggestions.

Just remembered I have a brand new Buzz that my brother-in-law gave me a month back or so....just have to find it & give it a whirl.

Will pick up a Roc next time I'm by the dics store - I hear that name popping up more and more.

Just curious, what kind of Buzzz do you have?
Pro D, Elite X, ESP, Groove Top, SS, Elite Z, Flx?

Spike said:
Just curious, what kind of Buzzz do you have?
Pro D, Elite X, ESP, Groove Top, SS, Elite Z, Flx?
Just curious, how does a Supercolor Z Buzzz fit into the spectrum? The top is flat, but the shoulder is high, weight 178.

jubuttib said:
Just curious, how does a Supercolor Z Buzzz fit into the spectrum? The top is flat, but the shoulder is high, weight 178.
hm... don't know, I havent thrown all Buzzzes. Didn't know there was a Supercolour Buzzz in Z. I know one in ESP though. Havent thrown it.

Spike said:
hm... don't know, I havent thrown all Buzzzes. Didn't know there was a Supercolour Buzzz in Z. I know one in ESP though. Havent thrown it.
It's not the clear Z normally used, it's the same, opaque white Z used in e.g. Spectra.

Latest posts