• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Indoor Putting Practice

Maclor

My wife and I are trying to figure out how we're going to pad the wall behind our basket in the basement. She is looking at some of those foam mats that you can puzzle together. Figured I would ask around and see if anyone has any experience with this and could offer some advice.

Thanks!

Just for clarification, is this a finished wall and is your main concern protecting the wall from damage?

Hang a sheet from the ceiling. If you hang two sheets and reinforce the spots they are hung from you can practice your driving form into them also.

Just for clarification, is this a finished wall and is your main concern protecting the wall from damage?

Doh! Yes. The wall is dry walled. We're looking to protect it from any damage.

Hang a sheet from the ceiling. If you hang two sheets and reinforce the spots they are hung from you can practice your driving form into them also.

Hmm. Have you had experience with this? This could work.

Sorry if that sounded like a dumb question to you. My experience was that I have an unfinished basement with poured cement walls and my concern was protecting my discs from damage incurred from the cement walls. That was the reason for my question. Sorry.:|

Most basements have suspended ceilings, we just pulled a couple panels and I attached loops of chain from the floor joists above through which we placed an iron rod through ... she went to the 2nd hand store and picked up a cheap, old set of drapes that she kind of liked (matched her basement decor) and hung them on the rod about a foot out from the wall ... weighted the bottom of the drapes and it worked perfect ... no reason you couldn't use a sheet or anything else, the trick was to weight the bottom and it acted like a screen to 'catch' discs without moving ...

When we got our basement refinished, we still had some left over carpet rolls. When we hung them up against a wall, it didn't damage the wall or discs. It wad free and easy to do. If you don't like it, all these ideas are fine.

Weighted the bottom of the drapes and it worked perfect ... no reason you couldn't use a sheet or anything else, the trick was to weight the bottom and it acted like a screen to 'catch' discs without moving ...

This is true, but maybe a bit of overkill for just putting. As long as you give yourself a few feet an unweighted sheet will only give so much. I personally bought a decorative outside shower curtain (the kind that goes on the outside of the shower and not meant to contain the water). Cheap from Walmart, heavier than a sheet, and has the large rings built into it which makes it easy to hang.

http://youtu.be/t7G0paijrAY

An form critique video I posted a little while back, at 0:55 you can see how it works. I used screw in hooks at the top of the door frame to hang the sheets about 4 inches apart. Hung with grommets at first, but the impact of the discs was ripping the sheets. To reinforce them, I cut circles of canvas about 3 inches across, 2 for each grommet- 8 total. I melted hot glue with a heat gun, smeared it on the canvas circle and folded it into the sheet, then did the same thing with the other circle for a sheet/canvas/sheet/canvas/sheet layering, then put a new grommet through all that. Super durable, hasn't ripped at all.

Hang a fleece blanket or equivalent.

Or, if you want to get real good at putting under pressure, put the basket right up against the bare wall. Hit the putt or scuff the putter. ;)

Wow, Busy the last couple days but you guys haven't been!

The sheet may work but it is dry walled all around and the previous home owner did the dry wall so I have no idea what is underneath. We have do to some more research about foam squares.

And I just knew someone was going to say "Don't miss":D.

Hang a fleece blanket or equivalent.

Or, if you want to get real good at putting under pressure, put the basket right up against the bare wall. Hit the putt or scuff the putter. ;)

Through a hallway or door frame if you wanna get real hardcore. Or if you want to break in a putter anyway.

I lean my two extra long thermarest camping mats up behind my basket. When full of air and supported to stay in place it works well.

buy some 1/2" insulation that they use for siding. As long as you don't mind putting holes through your drywall, just tack it up with 1 1/4" roofing nails. I'm in the construction business, in case you can't tell, lol.

Someone mentioned carpet. What about just the carpet padding? Home Depot sells a thin roll (I think like 12x12) for $20 that you could fold for double padding. A yoga mat will probably be much cheaper than those foam squares, too.

Id just ask for free scraps. Any flooring company generally has stuff that gets recycled. Carpet padding would work fine just not as strong.

Latest posts