• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Competition bag, Fade tourney bag, or X

tigel

Double Eagle Member
I'm deciding on what bag to get pretty soon. At first I wanted a revo carolina bag, or a kong but realized I don't "need" that. Also price is a big factor, as I'm in college, and I just can't spend 150 for bag and quad. I then looked to the gorilla and I like everything about it, but the innova C bag and the fade tourney bag I get more for less. As much as I like gorilla bags in general, I'd rather go the cheaper route for more.

My question is, are innova competition bags durable? I know gorilla bags will never die. Same with fade tourney bags? I know fade has a 1 year warrenty.

Also, are these two bags covenant and player friendly? I know the innova one has a U frame for easy disc support, I'm not sure about the fade.

With no backups I have 9 discs in my bag right now. With backups I've estimated I'd need max 15 slots. However, for the price of a X-15 slot bag, I'd rather spend the extra 10-15 dollars and get one of these. (18-20 innova) and (17-22 fade)

Does anyone recommend a bag in the 40-70 price range (not including quads) that I might be better off in? I'm looking for something that will last me awhile.

This.

Seriously, you don't need to carry 20+ discs. I max out around 15. I see most league/tourney folks with 20-25 discs in their bag, and they throw about half of them. Trust me, a smaller bag in terms of discs is not a bad way to go. Otherwise, you have to fill the bag up in order for it to keep it's shape.

I like the chimp too, I forgot the add that! However, I figured 2 drink holders was better than 1. I didn't think about the bags needign to be full to keep their shape... thats a good point.

I have a fade crunch box

http://marshallstreetdiscgolf.com/proddetail.asp?prod=bag%5Ffadecrunchbox

Holds 12 discs for me and I carry mostly putters and midranges.
It has a nice water bottle holder (with a grommet on the bottom!)
It has a small pocket on one side which you can fill up with keys, phones, towels, ipod.
There is also a loop that I have hooked my keys or an extra towel.

for $25 and a 1 year warranty you cant go wrong

My Fade Tourney keeps its shape fine with only 10 or so discs in the main compartment. The "frame"/divider system kinda sucks but it's not really an issue, I just keep one divider at the far end of the bag, put all the discs together, and use the other to create a separate space where I put a towel and whatever else I might want to stick in there. I bought it because I wanted something with two drink holders plus the extra capacity in case I wanted to carry more discs in the future without having to spend a lot of money. Very happy with it so far.

I love my Chimp and can't say enough good things about it. Love it.

I know a few people with the Innova Competition bag. It seems to hold up fine, but to me it has too much disc space and not enough pocket space.

I thought I would want two bottle holders, but it turns out I don't. I don't go through more than one bottle in a round, and if I play more than one round I go by my car. I don't play tourneys though, so maybe that would be different.

I like my Competition (i have quads so idk what a single strap is like). i carry like 15 drivers (8 diff molds but a couple are FH only), 3 KC rocs, my drivin putter, my main putter and 1-2 back up/ practice putters. the competition doesnt have very much pocket space but i still have enough room, in one of them them i carry a baseball, can of OFF, and tape. and the other has a phone pocket so its for valuables. the dual drink pockets are nice especially during these Oklahoma summers

i have the fade tourny bag and i carry 20 discs still has room for more and really 2 drink holders is not needed even for tournys cause all the ones i have played have had water on the course i use the second one to hold cigs and towel

Chimp

Fade Crunch is good for $25 but the mesh pocket flap rubbing your hip will drive you nuts (nuttier than the squeek of the Chimp's plastic swivels you need to replace with shoelace bits).

Chimp 'rides' very well, and the layout offers an outer putter pocket and bevg fwd no matter what shoulder you carry it on. Room for 10 discs and lots of other stuff, incl more water wrapped in another small towell.

i recommend the innova comp bag on ebay holds a ton of discs and i think you can get phenix quads Call Joel at Chain reaction disc golf and you'll get them for 35 shipped....should be around 80 total and you can hold as few as 10disc with it not losing its form.

Fade Crunch Box without question: it feels like it's made out of tough stuff you can get about 14 discs in there (and you only really need about 10 discs for a casual round) and it's only 25 farkin' dollars......maybe it's just me being my usual cheap self but damn we got this recession on....i got to do for me and mine

KaosDiscgolf said:
You get what you pay for...
...and you pay for the name brand.

I've had my fade tourney since December and it has been great.

I don't need 20 discs but i'm the type of guy that brings a lot of random discs for test drives so it's nice to have the room.

Go with the Crunch Box. It holds 14 discs without an issue for me (3 Wizards, 3 Comets, 4 Eagles, 2 OLFs, 2 Banshees) and it is a very durable bag to boot. Get some quads and you're looking at ~70 bucks shipped. I feel like it suits my needs better than anything on the market for the money it costs. I would love to have a Chimp or Silver Back, but like you I am in school and on a tight budget. You don't really need 20+ discs bro, I promise you don't (think about what you actually throw during the majority of the rounds you play). I bought an Innova Comp bag and all I ever use it for is to store my backups at home. I have never found an occasion to lug 20-25 discs around a course, even when traveling to tourneys far from home. Keep your backups in the car man. It'll save your back and your wallet.

are quads needed for a crunch box? Do they even fit well all together? And yeah, I see NO use for over 15 slots. With no backups I'm at 9 discs. NINE. not counting my putter (in the putter slot) that makes eight. I will carry one or two extra discs. This could be discs I'm trying out, or dx molds I'm trying to beat in. I like having at least 2 of my main driver (ch. wraith) so I can easily practice my drive when needed. Then maybe one more putter for on the go practice during rounds. tournament play I wouldn't though. So if I'm carrying all that it's still only 13+-.

The only reason I would carry around 18-20 would be if I'm at a tournament and I there's a lot of water, or crappy terrain where i could possibly not find a disc. Then I could understand why people carry so many discs. However, I think I'd just need a spare driver than anything on a situation like that... who knows.

So I still don't know if I should just fork out the 20 more dollars for a tourny bag for the possible backup slots, or just stick with the crunch box. As of right now I'm wanting the crunch box because its cheap. I'm all about cheap ;)

Crunch is great for $25.

You may not care about the easy access square zip top and velcro rain flap over the putter pocket in a Chimp. You probably care about the meager 5" pad on the Crunch strap vs the Chimp's double size pad that is not just more comfy but very easy to lay on your shoulder instead of having to be placed Exactly...

$60 for a Chimp, no need for quads unless you really stuff it and play a bunch too. If the weather is iffy, where does the extra clothing go in the Crunch?

A good friend has a Crunch and I like it. I just like the Chimp details more.

RS39 said:
Crunch is great for $25.

You may not care about the easy access square zip top and velcro rain flap over the putter pocket in a Chimp. You probably care about the meager 5" pad on the Crunch strap vs the Chimp's double size pad that is not just more comfy but very easy to lay on your shoulder instead of having to be placed Exactly...

$60 for a Chimp, no need for quads unless you really stuff it and play a bunch too. If the weather is iffy, where does the extra clothing go in the Crunch?

A good friend has a Crunch and I like it. I just like the Chimp details more.

Those are all great reasons why a chimp might be better than a crunch, but keep in mind are those features worth the extra 45 dollars? As much as I support Gorilla boy, I'm going to have to say no. I really do like Gorilla boy's bags, all of them. Just I can get just the same features for cheaper. Quality MIGHT be better going gorilla, but 45 dollars? That's a huge leap. He hand makes them right? I think that's the problem. Amazing quality, just you pay for the time too. Where as innova and fade have the man power I'm assuming to make nearly the same item cheaper because they can produce quicker and faster.

I'm still considering though. I want quads but I still can't decide if quads on a crunch is overkill... Anyone have some words on that?