• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

innova disc markings..

kjudd

Bogey Member
Does anybody know if there is a reason why some innova discs will have the disc abbreviations at the top of the nipple and the weight below it. What is the standard protocol for marking the disc? (Abbreviations at the top or bottom?)

I also would like to know what abbreviation came first for the ORC. I have seen O, OR and ORC. I saw one pfn Orc marked *orc with patent # and there was another pfn Orc marked *o without patent #.

Whats more rare?

There isn't one person who marks every disc and they write different stuff in different styles.

That's it.

Innova ink has never been a definitive identification for their discs. Factory ink writing on discs does not affect value other than something extreme. QC and QA for inking has been low since the first pen hit plastic.

Semi related... anyone do a thread of like "a disc you fell in love with throwing that was found out to be a different disc"

To reinforce what has already been said, Innova's nipple abbreviations have never been consistent.
I have heard of a few nipple markings that add value to a disc. The one that comes to mind is the *DS that some Destroyer owners craved for a while. I believe that the impression is that they are more stable than normal.
My speculation is that Innova employs entry-level personnel for that kind of work and the labor force may not be stable.

What's more valuable?

A star orc with patent # or a pfn star orc without patent #

They only have orc and o listed for abbreviations but I've seen alot with "or" as the abbreviations.

Also I saw alot of innova plastic at my local disc store where you can see at one point in time the mold had patent # on it but they scraped them off.. Anyone know about why this happened? Its almost like they found some old molds of certain star discs and scraped offI the pat # and kept the mold but are now using their newest blend of plastic for star

I

Does anyone know what year the "I" in Innova changed? My older discs have and "I" without the top and bottom crossing. The ones with the non crossed "I" have patent numbers, not sure if this is consistent or identifies certain disc lineage.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what year the "I" in Innova changed? My older discs have and "I" without the top and bottom crossing. The ones with the non crossed "I" have patent numbers, not sure if this is consistent or identifies certain disc lineage.

The timing depends on the mold but Teebird is a good indicator. The early 11x's had the sans serif font and CAL tooling whereas the later 11x's had serifs and CA tooling. Year of the transition would have been 2003-2005ish (Climo won his 11th worlds in 2002 and 12th in 2006).

Latest posts