• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova KATANA

True. Maybe Ill wait to find one in the weeds on the left hand side of the fairways before purchasing one.

Both the champ ones that I found were 30-40 feet left of a fence on the left side of the green on hole 1 of the course. The fact that there was no ink, as well as the condition, makes me think they were pretty new. I'm guessing they weren't as understable as the thrower anticipated?

Of course, it might have been a lefty... or maybe someone turned over a RHFH?

Both the champ ones that I found were 30-40 feet left of a fence on the left side of the green on hole 1 of the course. The fact that there was no ink, as well as the condition, makes me think they were pretty new. I'm guessing they weren't as understable as the thrower anticipated?

Some champ Katanas are straight beefy.

Daedalus > Katana. Better glide and distance out of the Daedalus.

You can say the same about any disc for given shots. But the two aren't really comparable for most shots they're designed for. The Katana holds a tight line and goes far, where as the Daedalus needs room to stretch its legs. They all have their place, but if you're throwing down a tight fairway, that Daedalus is hitting the right side tree line every time, or you're throwing it under powered and it's bombing left (RHBH) because it definitely doesn't have any LSS.

Most everyone throws a Katana when they first start out and realize they don't have the form or power to throw the Katana properly either by instant meat hook or they lose it somewhere on a deep hyzer line. I see guys in Advanced and IM still that don't have any business throwing a Katana unless their goal is for an OS shot. The Katana needs finesse and power to make work on its intended flight pattern.

How's the stability on Star Katanas these days? Any flat/dome tendencies?

Looking to replace my max d driver, a Star tern that has gotten too flippy/uncontrollable for me. For reference, I throw stable drivers (wraiths) up to 375 and max around 400 on full flight S shots.

How's the stability on Star Katanas these days? Any flat/dome tendencies?

Looking to replace my max d driver, a Star tern that has gotten too flippy/uncontrollable for me. For reference, I throw stable drivers (wraiths) up to 375 and max around 400 on full flight S shots.

Katanas are so inconsistent I've found. Can be beef or flippy. Check out the Shryke if you want star plastic and max D, more stable than Tern.

Katanas are so inconsistent I've found. Can be beef or flippy. Check out the Shryke if you want star plastic and max D, more stable than Tern.

Thanks. I have a star shryke actually, and maybe I got a turd, but it just doesn't have that glide that I hear everyone talking about. It flips to flat and fades or turns a little bit and then craps out. I keep wanting it to be my max d driver but it really just doesn't get out there for me. The tern is muuuch longer, even before it got overly flippy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of all the Katanas I've thrown, the best flying examples have all been champion. They tend to have more dome and glide better than stars. The star Katanas I come across end up being flat and don't glide well.

When you find the right Katana its a very long disc that can handle hard rips without a problem. The thin profile helps it gain yardage and fight wind too.

Get a bad Katana and you'll hate the mold. They won't glide and won't fly very far.

My $0.02. Katana is a mold prone to tons of variation, and flat Katanas stink. I like champion, as someone already mentioned, and I like them with some decent dome. Here's a picture of the 2 Katanas that got me started:

attachment.php

The blue one in this picture doesn't have the dome and therefore lacks the magic turn and glide of a good Katana. The pink one had a good dome, and had great distance potential but started to get a little flippy before I lost it. I now have one that's a little less domey but is in my bag for some good forehand distance.

Interestingly, I found a 134g blizz Katana lately that actually flies well. I was shocked. I expected it to turn and burn on every throw. It actually holds a line pretty well and goes a long, long way. I won't ever bag it, but Its a pretty worthy distance driver. I usually don't like blizzard plastic at all.

And yeah, flat star Katanas stink. You can't get any distance out of them and and they don't glide at all. The first Katana I ever threw was just such a disc and I hated it. Took me a while to warm to the mold in general. They're good drivers, but (as mentioned) TONS of variation from disc to disc.

This is all good information to have. I saw some Katanas in the store and thought about getting one. Glad i held off and this thread got revived. Thanks all for the info...

Thanks. I have a star shryke actually, and maybe I got a turd, but it just doesn't have that glide that I hear everyone talking about. It flips to flat and fades or turns a little bit and then craps out. I keep wanting it to be my max d driver but it really just doesn't get out there for me. The tern is muuuch longer, even before it got overly flippy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep beating in the Shryke and see if the fade mellows out. I've also experience fresh ones fading sooner than I want...but they are surprisingly easy to control on a variety of shots and not just an open bomb and pray disc. Maybe it'll get longer? Another option is the Sheriff...I don't have much experience with them but the ones I have tried really impressed me with great distance and softer fade than star Shryke.

I know DDX was designed as the more stable Tern but I have found them to be extremely dumpy at the end, moreso than the Shryke.

This is all good information to have. I saw some Katanas in the store and thought about getting one. Glad i held off and this thread got revived. Thanks all for the info...

Yeah, if you're going to get a Katana you'll want to see/hold it before you buy. Look for one with some dome. Those fly better than the flat ones. Its a little bit of a finicky mold with lots of variance. I'd personally look for a domey champion in the high 160s. Vulcans are the same way. Flat Vulcans don't glide. The domey ones sure do though.

The right Katana will absolutely bomb and is probably faster than anything out there.

Keep beating in the Shryke and see if the fade mellows out. I've also experience fresh ones fading sooner than I want...but they are surprisingly easy to control on a variety of shots and not just an open bomb and pray disc. Maybe it'll get longer? Another option is the Sheriff...I don't have much experience with them but the ones I have tried really impressed me with great distance and softer fade than star Shryke.

I know DDX was designed as the more stable Tern but I have found them to be extremely dumpy at the end, moreso than the Shryke.

Agree about the Sheriff. I like (and bag) the Fuzion/GoldLine Sheriff, and throw it when the wind would beat up my Tern and/or on downhill shots where a more stable disc (than the Tern) is indicated. The Sheriff is a really good disc, and the Fuzion seasons in well (IMHO). :thmbup:

The DDx also disappointed me some; it wasnt the "similar to the Tern" disc it was hyped to be.

Yeah, if you're going to get a Katana you'll want to see/hold it before you buy. Look for one with some dome. Those fly better than the flat ones. Its a little bit of a finicky mold with lots of variance. I'd personally look for a domey champion in the high 160s. Vulcans are the same way. Flat Vulcans don't glide. The domey ones sure do though.

The right Katana will absolutely bomb and is probably faster than anything out there.

You're right about the Vulcan. Many months ago, I got an F2 Star Vulcan that as very flat-topped, and it was NOT the understable bomber I'd hoped it'd be.

Thanks for the Katana advice. I'll look for a Champ one with dome, and will accept any weight up to 167g...

I threw my another Gstar shryke I have the other day and it flew pretty nicely. Healthy turn with some good fade, decent glide. Also I traded a buddy for his nicely seasoned champ tern and I was getting great flight out of it today. I'll have to revisit the star shryke at some point because I love the feel of star plastic, but the champ tern is looking great for max d at the moment.

I threw my another Gstar shryke I have the other day and it flew pretty nicely. Healthy turn with some good fade, decent glide. Also I traded a buddy for his nicely seasoned champ tern and I was getting great flight out of it today. I'll have to revisit the star shryke at some point because I love the feel of star plastic, but the champ tern is looking great for max d at the moment.

Try the Shryke and Champ Tern head to head for distance. I found that I got better distance consistently with the Shryke. Its faster and glides better. Both have similar flights. Stable, but not ridiculously so.

I dropped Champ Terns for Star Shrykes because I can get similar stability and avoid Champion plastic.

I may have to try another star shryke then, or just spend a little field time with my star. I've seen you talk up champ terns so much on here, that the shryke must have really impressed you to kick your terns out.

BTW I see you're in Alexandria, I'm in New Orleans, PM me if you're ever down here and want to throw.

Latest posts