• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Innova Polecat?

I never see this disc brought up anywhere in discussions.. It's what I picked up to putt with when I started, since it felt like a regular frisbee. Should I look into getting a different putter? I've never tried anything else, but Rhyno, Aviars, and Skeeters are available at the local Walmart. I feel like I can putt better with my Buzzz.

I love the polecat, for controlled approaches. It holds a good line, floats and then just drops dead right on target when thrown properly. I get "What was that!?", all the time when I throw it cause a lot of people have never seen a disc fly like it does. It however dosen't fit my putting style (pitch putt). I prefer a beat up wizard or an anode for true putting. But the truth about putters is no one is inherently better or worse than another inside the circle. Most people can putt with just about anything from 30'. It's really a choice of what putter feels the best for you and fits your style.

The disadvantage of using a midrange like a Buzzz is that it is more likely to fly farther giving you a longer come back putt if you miss. And some people would say the lower profile increases the chance to blow through the chains but if you hit it right that shouldnt matter.

I would recommend looking around for a place that carries a variety of discs so you can fondle them all and figure out what feels best to you. Buy two and stick with them. Changing putters all the time hurts your game more than it helps, especially when you're learning.

Holy christ if you can at least get an aviar... Get one. Than throwing it as far as you can will show you what the difference is.

The Polecat can be absolutely dangerous in the right hands. They have a lot more distance potential than people give them credit. They're just really slow. I absolutely love mine. I don't get the "What was that?" anymore because I'm usually screaming "Polecat!" as it starts running dead straight down the fairway.

As for your question, if you feel you putt better with the Buzzz, then the Polecat probably isn't your putter. If you like the Buzzz, I would recommend you try the Pure from Latitude 64.

You won't find it at WalMart, but many online retailers will have many in stock for you. If you're only buying the one disc, your best bet is probably DiscGolfCenter or EverythingDiscGolf. Both have free shipping (DGC has a low minimum).

:wall: stop stop stop :thmbdown::thmbdown:

Not cool. DO NOT SHOP AT WALMART!! Order online if no store is available.

Wal-Mart got a disc in his hands and out on the course.

Last edited:
I never see this disc brought up anywhere in discussions.. It's what I picked up to putt with when I started, since it felt like a regular frisbee. Should I look into getting a different putter? I've never tried anything else, but Rhyno, Aviars, and Skeeters are available at the local Walmart. I feel like I can putt better with my Buzzz.

I guess you haven't read many of my posts...

anyway yes the Polecat is an awesome disc as a couple others have stated. Putting with the Polecat requires a slightly different technique. I say keep it but also throw other discs. you'll find yourself coming back to the kitty more and more for that floaty control and wafting shapeability.

If you like the Buzzz's feel for putting you may want to try the rhyno.

I guess you haven't read many of my posts...

anyway yes the Polecat is an awesome disc as a couple others have stated. Putting with the Polecat requires a slightly different technique. I say keep it but also throw other discs. you'll find yourself coming back to the kitty more and more for that floaty control and wafting shapeability.

If you like the Buzzz's feel for putting you may want to try the rhyno.

You still throwing the Bite? I have one on my wants list for my Secret Santa so hopefully I get one to try in the next couple weeks.

The polecat has made a huge improvement in my game. Hands down one of the most useful disc I've picked up this year. It's my favorite disc for upshots or drives under 175-200' that are dead straight. The thing just flies exactly how you throw it. Best hit and stick disc I own. If they made it in star/ champ I'd buy 5. However, for true putting duties, it comes up short, for me. I just perfer a beaded putter.

Putters are very much personal preference. Finding one with just the right feel took me almost 3 years. You need to try some molds and find what fits your putting style and has the feel you want. Decide if you want beaded or non-beaded and take it from there. As others have suggested, if you like the feel of the buzzz, a Lat. 64 Pure is the logical choice. If you want to try a beaded putter I'd highly suggest the Wizard from Gateway or the Judge from Dynamic Disc.

And I agree, Walmart is wack. Buy from a local retailer or online.

Last edited:
Best hit and stick disc I own. If they made it in star/ champ I'd buy 5.

Best hit and stick disc I've thrown as well!

If you want a premium plastic 'kitty, email the Factory Store about it. They're getting tired of my emails. They actually asked me to stop sending requests for them about a month ago.

I guess I'll have to take up the email mantle. I asked Dave Dunipace about it on the pdga boards a while back and he said they come out too light in champion but star worked okay.

Yes I still have the Bite and I absolutely love it. It is only 150g but it is an absolute joy to throw on the little wooded pitch and putt near work during lunch. I got a hot pink one!

I guess I'll have to take up the email mantle. I asked Dave Dunipace about it on the pdga boards a while back and he said they come out too light in champion but star worked okay.

Sounds like they need to throw some of the pearly weighting agent from the 11X KC Pro era in the Champ mix...

Honestly, I'll take Star if that's what it takes. I ordered a DX from Marshall St and got a non-flight numbers stamp. I wonder how long some of them have been sitting on shelves.

I'm doing my best to kill the online stock so Innova has to replenish. If we get one in premium plastic at all, it'll happen when they have to run them in a production plastic again.

I don't care if they're glow or not. At this point, I just want a gummy Polecat that doesn't turn into a turnover machine after the first big tree hit.

My DX is a little beefy, and I have yet to have it change. My R-Pro was dead nuts neutral until I hit that one tree.

My 165 R-Pro Polecat was one of my first discs. (along with a stingray, a banshee, and a wraith)

You can probably imagine how many things it's hit. The flight plate is... Well, I don't really know how to describe it. Well it's not flat/even.

It's still crazy neutral. It just wants to go straight every time you throw it. Although it doesn't mind being put on other lines.

I had a polecat and I hated it, so I gave it to a friend of mine, and now I regretting it... lol I think I gave him a birdie too. :)

yeah I'm more like Buiscutboy in my experience with the DX models. Haven't thrown R-Pro models but I hear it is a fantastic combo. I want the premium plastic because I don't like it when the top gets too clovered. I can't figure out where to put my thumb and then I get all weird feeling.

I think I would take the light weight champ ones. and I would absolutely love a glowcat! I see how Lat got the Bite (a fastback lid think Sonic) up to 150 class in Opto. The disc is amazing. Maxes about 250 but so 70's in flight it makes me miss a decade I wasn't alive for!

I think the polecat is outstanding so long as there's little to no wind. It behaves and feels about like a classic soft judge or r pro rhyno in those conditions. But the rhyno or judge will definitely handle headwind better.

As far as feeling like you can putt better with a buzz, tbat might be be ause the buzz is pretty overstable at low speeds. You might like the rhyno best if that is the case. I'd get the rhyno and go play some one disc rounds with it, especially on some tight wooded courses. That's a lot of fun to me.

Latest posts