• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Stud: New PnA

I've been using Colts for a little while, the prototype Colts are really great and I also like the production ones in calm condition or with a tailwind. After reading about the Stud I bought two of them to compare, one XT and one Star, both 175g. Now I have to wait for them....

Nice bump on the thread. Lets us know how you like your Studs when you get them in.

My brother likes his Studs in DX at 173 grams that I got him. They fly really well for his putting style, they just need some breaking in so they are not so OS for the closer putter for him.

I guess the comparison will be more against my Star Rats because that's my stable/overstable putter right now. I really like the Proto XT Colt but even if I stack some, eventually they will not be replaceable so better find something else. I've played a few rounds yesterday with only putters at a 9 holes course all between 200-300'. I've compared ringer, ringer gt, zone, colt and rat. I already liked the Rat but after the two first rounds, I've played the last 3 with only my 2 star rats, even putting with them. Innova label them as mid-range but they have similar number as the Ringer and Zone, and I can throw the colt further even if it's a putter so label and flight numbers are just that. It's straighter than a Zone for sure but for me it's a plus.

I'll see when I get my Studs, but right now I'm considering using the Rat as my main putting and driving putter and I'll see what I can use for straight or turn over short drives and upshot. Star Rats might take a while to beat in that slot, they are not available in basic plastic yet.

Man I love those XT Studs. They were my primary thrower for a season. I bet you're gonna have some fun with those!
I was able to squeeze an hour of practice before it rains. I brought 5 putters, Star Rat, Proto XT Colt, XT Colt, XT Stud and Star Stud.

That XT Stud flies like my Proto XT Colt, dead straight even maybe a little bit of turn on full power throw. I can get both of them around 280'. I don't know if that is what your XT Studs fly like but I hope so because it means I have a good replacement for my Proto XT Colt if I run out of them. I can use the Proto Colts just for putts and upshots.

Now the Star Stud was different, still good but closer to my Rat in stability but a bit glider. I don't think it will replace the Rat but if I need something in between the Colt and the Rat it would fit the spot.

That XT Stud flies like my Proto XT Colt, dead straight even maybe a little bit of turn on full power throw. I can get both of them around 280'. I don't know if that is what your XT Studs fly like but I hope so because it means I have a good replacement for my Proto XT Colt if I run out of them. I can use the Proto Colts just for putts and upshots.

^^^ This. :thmbup:

Now the Star Stud was different, still good but closer to my Rat in stability but a bit glider. I don't think it will replace the Rat but if I need something in between the Colt and the Rat it would fit the spot.

Generally agree. I never found any of my Star Studs (including one with a first-run stamp) to be anywhere near as OS as my Rat, but definitely the Studs are glidier than the Rat. My most-seasoned-in Star Stud is fitting very well between my Harp and my Star Mirage.

Keep on keepin' on with the Studs. :thmbup:

Generally agree. I never found any of my Star Studs (including one with a first-run stamp) to be anywhere near as OS as my Rat, but definitely the Studs are glidier than the Rat. My most-seasoned-in Star Stud is fitting very well between my Harp and my Star Mirage.

Never thrown a Rat, but the star Stud seems like 3/3/0/2 to me. By the 3 of glide I'm meaning "normal speed 3 driving putter glide".

I have no idea why it seems flight number conventions for putters of speeds 1-3 that "normal glide" means a 3...whereas for anything speed 4 and above average glide seems to be a 4ish and good glide is 5. Then a handful of the most floaty discs in existence get a 6.

I have no idea why it seems flight number conventions for putters of speeds 1-3 that "normal glide" means a 3...whereas for anything speed 4 and above average glide seems to be a 4ish and good glide is 5. Then a handful of the most floaty discs in existence get a 6.

Like Einstein's theories, the numbers are all relative. :)

One thing I tend to do is look at speed and glide as a set. A disc that is speed 1 and glide 3, like the Polecat, is pretty glidey. A disc that is 3,2 (several OS discs) is relatively brickish, while a 3,3 disc is 'normal' glide and 3,4 has a bit of glide. But a 9,4 disc, such as the Valk and Viking, isn't super glidey.

A 5,5 disc is relatively glidey, bit a 12,5 disc isn't as relatively glidey.

So the numbers are just guidelines for the DG player to use... or to ignore... :| :popcorn:

I agree that my Star Stud fly like his rating numbers, so not as overstable as the Rat but still an easily noticeable overstability. My XT Stud is more like 3 3 0 0 or 3 3 -1 1 or something in between.

I think too that numbers are just guideline. I know that the Star Rat is a little more overstable than my Star Stud about like their numbers says but my Rat is not as overstable than my Zones which is also a 3 in fade.

Just got a 170g XT Stud. I was hoping the plastic would be like the really good XT in the Bullfrog; alas, it was more like the not-so-good "pencil eraser" XT of old. But the good news is that the XT Stud flies very, very well!

First, an eyeball comparison with my XT Prototype Colt shows the Stud has a more straight squared-off rim than the proto-Colt. They both fly very accurately towards whatever target I shoot them at.

The XT Stud has a bit more stability than the XT Proto Colt. I threw an uphill approach into the wind today. It started off a bit right of the basket (RHBH throw), but even in the headwind the XT Stud faded nicely at the end.

We'll see how quickly the XT Stud beats in, and how much the flight changes as it does. But for now, it might have relegated my well-used Star Stud back to the bench...

Just got a 170g XT Stud. I was hoping the plastic would be like the really good XT in the Bullfrog; alas, it was more like the not-so-good "pencil eraser" XT of old. But the good news is that the XT Stud flies very, very well!

First, an eyeball comparison with my XT Prototype Colt shows the Stud has a more straight squared-off rim than the proto-Colt. They both fly very accurately towards whatever target I shoot them at.

The XT Stud has a bit more stability than the XT Proto Colt. I threw an uphill approach into the wind today. It started off a bit right of the basket (RHBH throw), but even in the headwind the XT Stud faded nicely at the end.

We'll see how quickly the XT Stud beats in, and how much the flight changes as it does. But for now, it might have relegated my well-used Star Stud back to the bench...

How'd your XT Stud do over the summer? I just happened upon a brand new XT Colt and loved the way it felt in the hand and flew. I know it'll get US fast, so I was thinking of picking up a Stud to work in.

How'd your XT Stud do over the summer? I just happened upon a brand new XT Colt and loved the way it felt in the hand and flew. I know it'll get US fast, so I was thinking of picking up a Stud to work in.

Yes, the XT Colts are nice also. My XT Stud has done very well for me. It's flying very straight, not turning over (yet) and not fading, either. I reach for the Zone when I need a reliable fade, but when I need a straight shot, such as in the woods, the Stud gets 'er done for me. I believe the XT Stud will eventually get less stable with the large amount of use I'm giving it, but it's been pretty resilient so far.

Yes, the XT Colts are nice also. My XT Stud has done very well for me. It's flying very straight, not turning over (yet) and not fading, either. I reach for the Zone when I need a reliable fade, but when I need a straight shot, such as in the woods, the Stud gets 'er done for me. I believe the XT Stud will eventually get less stable with the large amount of use I'm giving it, but it's been pretty resilient so far.

My Brother has the DX Stud for putters that I got him, he wanted a disc in DX that was like the old 2000's Flat top DX Gator he had as putter until it was about 1 putt hard into the basket from being unusable. So the Stud Was as close as I could find at the time in putters, Bullfrog was not out yet or I would have tried that to match the stability of the beat in DX Gator. XT was too much like the old DX that he feared would get slick like old stiff 2000's DX did, also one of the few that likes the modern DX over the old Stiff DX for discs. He loves the new Stud putter once he changed his putting power/speed to the basket. Was lucky when I bought the discs and they had a disc in the exact colors and original weight of his DX Gator, the one that was his putter. The other DX Stud was not close to his approach DX Gator in colors.

Last edited:
XT was too much like the old DX that he feared would get slick like old stiff 2000's DX did, also one of the few that likes the modern DX over the old Stiff DX for discs. He loves the new Stud putter once he changed his putting power/speed to the basket. Was lucky when I bought the discs and they had a disc in the exact colors of his DX Gator, the one that was his putter.

The new XT in the Bullfrog is good stuff, vastly superior to DX. The XT Bullfrog I got is suspiciously close to the Nexus plastic in my Firefly.

A run of Studs in that good XT or Nexus plastic would be awesome. I'd stock up and have enough for the rest of my DG career, and probably never go back to the Star Stud...

The new XT in the Bullfrog is good stuff, vastly superior to DX. The XT Bullfrog I got is suspiciously close to the Nexus plastic in my Firefly.

A run of Studs in that good XT or Nexus plastic would be awesome. I'd stock up and have enough for the rest of my DG career, and probably never go back to the Star Stud...

Yeah I hope they make an XT Stud even if low/limited production run. Stiff non R Pro, Pro would also be nice to have for the disc.

I was stoked when DGU let me add the Stud to my Undead series of stamps... I've been throwing the XT version and LOVING it! They are in Star plastic too... but Star plastic isn't my personal top choice for putters & mids

stud-photo-small.jpg

I was stoked when DGU let me add the Stud to my Undead series of stamps... I've been throwing the XT version and LOVING it! They are in Star plastic too... but Star plastic isn't my personal top choice for putters & mids

stud-photo-small.jpg

Hey, see if you can get them to run some Nexus Studs with your stamp. I know I'll buy a few (or a bunch). :)

Hey, see if you can get them to run some Nexus Studs with your stamp. I know I'll buy a few (or a bunch). :)
Now THAT is a great idea! I'll be hanging out with DGU during USDGC... I'll mention it to them and see where it goes.
I never would have thought they'd make a KC Mako3 but they did. I hope they go for this one, too!

Latest posts