• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentionally trying to beat in a disc?

Nasty Nate

Double Eagle Member
I have been wondering about this and thought I'd ask. Have you ever tried to expedite the process of beating in a disc by purposely throwing it at a tree or doing something similar? Is this an acceptable practice?

I am mainly concerned with beating in premium plastics as that's all I've got and as we know that stuff is pretty much indestructible. I'll admit that sometimes I will throw a disc against the ground a few times in hopes that it will help wear it in. I guess this is wishful thinking on my part. My thought is that you always want to avoid trees when disc golfing so this doesn't really help to beat in Z plastic and such. The only way to get the scars you need on your disc is to purposely do it.

So I was slamming some discs against the chains earlier... I feel kind of stupid saying all this but I really have been thinking about it for a while. Also, is it even necessary to beat in a premium disc? I feel like by the time it happens I will have forgotten how the disc started out.

just do it at your house. dont lemme catch you doin it at the course or else i will call you a chucker.

i have a wood pile out back that has seen a disc or two :eek:

sometimes you just have to help them along, or try an experiment with something new.

I prefer to rub the disc on the teepads for a round every throw and it works a lot nicer than mashing it into trees you just want to make sure its a fine grit stone not rough.

thumbers and rollers. over and over.

Thumbers and rollers and skips in paved parking lots. If you don't do thumbers then grenades will work too.

Every so often you need to test the disc for stability because once beaten in you cannot go back.

Buy a disc that does what you want it to do. Seriously. Keep your OS stuff nice for windy days...

I also never really got this. If I buy an XS, I want it to act like an XS. If I beat the crap out of it, it flies like an Xpress. If I want a disc to act like an Xpress, I buy one. When my premium plastic gets beat up and the flight characteristics change, I retire the disc and put a new one in the bag. Why spent time building in extra variables into your game. The second arguement against this is, getting the disc finally, just right, and losing it. Now what, another break in period before that slot in the bag is filled. Just my take.

I've never done it, but I've suggested a combination of direct hits and something that scuffs the bottom of the disc to a few people. No one has really gotten back to me on how it works, but it seems like that would simulate the type of wear you'd see naturally the best. If you only do one of them then it won't really act like natural wear.

I've "tuned" discs (bent the rim) to fly less overstable but that alone doesn't make them act as if they were beat. They end up losing HSS much faster than LSS and get a bit squirrley.

I also never really got this. If I buy an XS, I want it to act like an XS. If I beat the crap out of it, it flies like an Xpress. If I want a disc to act like an Xpress, I buy one. When my premium plastic gets beat up and the flight characteristics change, I retire the disc and put a new one in the bag. Why spent time building in extra variables into your game. The second arguement against this is, getting the disc finally, just right, and losing it. Now what, another break in period before that slot in the bag is filled. Just my take.

Get back to me when someone makes a driver that's as flippy OTB as my beat-in DX Beast. I can throw it RHBH with a hyzer release, it hits the ground about 200ft out at 10 o'clock and rolls to about 425'.

seasoned discs always fly better than new ones. Unless you need a SUPER OS disc which fills your utility slot. Ill take a beat-in used disc all day long.

Nothing worse than flash that makes a disc act stupid OS when new plus they all are slippery as hell I don't care what plastic you pick.

I will get a disc beat to where I like it and start working on another one. At this point, I have backups for most of my beat discs. For the ones that I don't have replacements of, I have discs that supplement until I can get another one to the place I want it. They only supplement them. They do not replace them.

ablehire_img074.jpg

+

rocks.jpg

+

disc-rack.jpg

mix until properly al dente

Or if you're like me and hit every tree on the course unintentionally, you don't have anything to worry about. :D
Haha well I certainly was finding the trees on Friday so I'm about halfway there! :doh:

I just thought this was kind of funny because a Z Xpress is the first disc I ever really bought and I believe it is just now beat in to a nice spot. Let's see... hmmm that only took how many years? :| Looks like I'll have to put my Z plastic into a concrete mixer...

...I am mainly concerned with beating in premium plastics as that's all I've got and as we know that stuff is pretty much indestructible. I'll admit that sometimes I will throw a disc against the ground a few times in hopes that it will help wear it in. I guess this is wishful thinking on my part. My thought is that you always want to avoid trees when disc golfing so this doesn't really help to beat in Z plastic and such. The only way to get the scars you need on your disc is to purposely do it.

So I was slamming some discs against the chains earlier...

Wherever did you get the idea that a disc needs scars to be beaten in? I like nicely beat-in discs for annys or putting, but the last thing I want is fins, ridges or chunks of plastic messing with my grip. That stuff gets trimmed/sanded so the surface is as close to its original uniform condition as possible[see how I hacked the "but you're altering the discs!" crowd off at the knees? ;)] And trees are just as good beating the disc in as the ground, though the tree doesn't like it very much, and the ground is apathetic about it all.
Use the ground, trees, or just a lot of rounds to beat them in. And a gradual beating is preferable to beating them to a pulp---past a certain point, it'll never be anything but an anny/roller.

I throw them against a baseball backstop. They are very flat and don't put dents in my discs like the ground/trees do. Sometimes when I lose a perfectly beat-in disc, I don't wanna have to wait several rounds for the fresh replacement to beat in.

Latest posts