• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is 200 inches of snow too much?

Windchill and low highs is often what makes it more unlikely to play where I live in winter then Snow. This winter has been different though and snow as well as fluctuating temps, ice at times has made it so no disc golf in winter at least starting in January.

I'm not actually sure where that was but I guess its Europe judging by the traffic flow, lol...(do they drive on the same side as us in Canada? never been there myself)Though, I do remember seeing places as bad or worse than that a couple years ago on the news. I think it was Minnesota or N Dakota.

More then likely a place you saw was in Buffalo Region of NY as they had in 2016-2017 winter the snow that caused damage.

I took a little stroll out on my local course (Calumet Lake Disc Golf) to check if there was any snow. Yep, there was some.

This is why we take January, February and 1/2 of March off.

Please feel free to tell me all about using ribbons and chalk! :wall:

Did you mark that course as "not cart friendly?"

Did you mark that course as "not cart friendly?"

What's not friendly about it? You just have to think outside the box a little...

IMG_2695.jpg

;)

An inch of rain is equivalent to a 9-12in of snow, more or less.

That may be true in coastal regions but isn't really a consistent rule. I live in Colorado and during a cold storm, an inch of rain is 2+ feet of snow. We had a recent storm where we got 4" of snow and that melted down to .14" of liquid. That would be 28" of snow for 1" of rain

That may be true in coastal regions but isn't really a consistent rule. I live in Colorado and during a cold storm, an inch of rain is 2+ feet of snow. We had a recent storm where we got 4" of snow and that melted down to .14" of liquid. That would be 28" of snow for 1" of rain

Yea, I think it depends on the overall humidity in the region/storm, but I was really just pointing out that snow can compress a lot because its really not very dense compared to liquid water/ice. Your example is even better than mine. At altitude, or in drier climates, the snow is typically very light and powder like, where I live its usually much heavier.

Last edited:
I can only imagine how the ground plays in snow and/or ice... I imagine some courses play a bit different in the winter for you lot that have seasons.

I live in Florida... the most I've seen climate effect a hole is water levels being really high on a lake course. The high water line shrinks the fairway at one of my favorite courses on a couple holes.

Someday I'd love to play in true winter conditions. It looks quite fun.

I can only imagine how the ground plays in snow and/or ice... I imagine some courses play a bit different in the winter for you lot that have seasons.

I live in Florida... the most I've seen climate effect a hole is water levels being really high on a lake course. The high water line shrinks the fairway at one of my favorite courses on a couple holes.

Someday I'd love to play in true winter conditions. It looks quite fun.

It can be a lot of fun or the worst experience of your life. The not very fun part can be a lot of things. Wind just sucks when its cold obviously. When its just below or at freezing, the ground can be very slippery under the snow and you cant tell where the muddy spots may be hiding.

Another thing that can suck really bad is ice. A couple years ago we had a storm that dropped 2in of snow, then an inch of ice followed by another inch of snow. Basically, every other step you would break thru the ice. Played a tourney that weekend on a more or less flat course and it was the most worn out and sore I have been after a normal 2rd tourney. It was like walking thru the woods on ground covered with a thin layer of sticks. Constant jarring, slipping and catching your feet when trying to throw...

...but if you can get a day where you are the first on the course(old crunchy footprints do the same thing as the ice mentioned above), its 25degrees, 3-5in of snow, overcast(snow blindness is no joke. Wear sunglasses:thmbup:) and with little to no wind, you can have a blast. It kind of takes me back to snow days off school and all the fun we had.

More then likely a place you saw was in Buffalo Region of NY as they had in 2016-2017 winter the snow that caused damage.

That's not Buffalo. The picture doesn't even look real. Trees don't grow on top of snow like that.

I played Lake Calumet this past fall right as the colors were changing on the trees and it was one of the most scenic courses I think I have ever played. If you have a good pair of Yaktaks the ice is manageable but you have to be extremely careful on how you rotate as to not tear up a knee or something since ice cleats and the like so such a good job of creating grip. If it's less than a couple of inches snow is not that bad to play in but you have to pay real close attention to where the disc lands. Otherwise it's time for ribbons. My daughter goes to MTU and I hear winter horror stories from her all the time. Well, they're horror stories to me anyways...My wife and I were talking about moving somewhere warmer to retire and that sounds like a fantastic idea right about now.

This past weekend I played at Rum Village in South Bend and there was a real light dusting of snow on the grass. Everything that has fallen so far melted last week. So with the high in the mid-twenties the ground was frozen solid and made for some pretty unbelievable skip shots. If you were throwing RHBH to a basket on flat ground with a fairly OS disc from 250' for example you better be aiming about 50' (or more) right of the basket or it was skipping waaaaay outside of the circle lol.

-Dave

The picture is 100% real. It is in Japan, and there are other photos of it. I don't think those trees are growing on top of the snow, they're buried in the snow and we're only seeing the tops.

My vote goes for photoshop. I have seen the one from ground level previously. It just looks like someone put the trees into this angle.

Latest posts