• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is Infinite the new Discmania

I honestly think any disc with their letter/number naming convention will be gone or so expensive to obtain you are better off replacing now.
That is EXACTLY what I've been hearing and worrying about... I have single backups of all of my molds, except for the FD2 and MD3. So I don't need to replace most until next season. But... Blah

I personally don't think the FD and L3 are as identical as people claim them to be.

Yes they're shaped similarly and yes their flight numbers are very similar, but they throw differently.

Keep in mind my L3's are flat champs and lusters. The star L3's I've felt have had some dome, might have been a single run and newer ones are flatter? The ones I bag I'll throw FH with a shallow hyzer and they pop to flat and lock in on a laser beam. Seems to fly with more speed than glide.

Bagged a couple different types of FD's my favorites were the flatter sixth run c lines or g lines...for different reasons. G line had dome, I liked it for forced anny BH turnovers...put it up high and watch it hold the turnover line and glide forever. Sixth run c line was similar to how I use my L3's now, but carried a bit longer than the L3 and I felt was a bit more sensitive on how it wanted to be thrown. Hit it correctly and it'd almost carry too far...pretty much into distance range of my control setup or throw it too soft and it'd fade out more than the L3.

Not a bad disc, but for me the L3 TL3 combo works better. Ultimately I gave up on the FD because I didn't want to fuss with finding flat ones...same as the EL/exodus...

I personally don't think the FD and L3 are as identical as people claim them to be.

Yes they're shaped similarly and yes their flight numbers are very similar, but they throw differently.

Keep in mind my L3's are flat champs and lusters. The star L3's I've felt have had some dome, might have been a single run and newer ones are flatter? The ones I bag I'll throw FH with a shallow hyzer and they pop to flat and lock in on a laser beam. Seems to fly with more speed than glide.

Bagged a couple different types of FD's my favorites were the flatter sixth run c lines or g lines...for different reasons. G line had dome, I liked it for forced anny BH turnovers...put it up high and watch it hold the turnover line and glide forever. Sixth run c line was similar to how I use my L3's now, but carried a bit longer than the L3 and I felt was a bit more sensitive on how it wanted to be thrown. Hit it correctly and it'd almost carry too far...pretty much into distance range of my control setup or throw it too soft and it'd fade out more than the L3.

Not a bad disc, but for me the L3 TL3 combo works better. Ultimately I gave up on the FD because I didn't want to fuss with finding flat ones...same as the EL/exodus...

My experience has been similar - FDs have a wider rim, more glide, and more lateral movement than L3s. They compete for the same bag slot, but are different in how they feel and behave. The one thing that I was super into was how well those Gibson Lusters paired with 2nd runs FDs. It was just perfect, but due to availability and the steady marching of time I've moved on to champ TL3s for their availability and consistency.

TL3's as fas as the second run FD replacement or luster L3's?

Those early run pearly champ TL3's are seriously one of the best fairway drivers ever made.

If I remember right that same gummy pearly champ blend showed up in the park early Ricky stock stamped champ T3's also.

TL3's as fas as the second run FD replacement or luster L3's?

Those early run pearly champ TL3's are seriously one of the best fairway drivers ever made.

If I remember right that same gummy pearly champ blend showed up in the park early Ricky stock stamped champ T3's also.

Talking L3 = Leopard3 not TL3. Though TL3 is another similar mold. I think the TL is ... maybe not closer, but what I wanted my FD to be.

Discmania started in 2008. It was a whole another disc golfing world back then. The partnership was working until everybody and everybodys friend decided to get into disc golf. I still have hope it will get better, but seriously, the two other manufacturers were a blessing. Hindsight is always 20/20.

Discmania started in 2008. It was a whole another disc golfing world back then. The partnership was working until everybody and everybodys friend decided to get into disc golf. I still have hope it will get better, but seriously, the two other manufacturers were a blessing. Hindsight is always 20/20.

They had more than plenty of time to actually develop their own manufacturing, especially after the company started blowing up and having stock/supply issues in the mid 2010s.

I really think they sat on their hands too long, not being willing to make a real capital investment in their own company, and are paying the price now by not being able to manufacture their own product and meet demands of the market. I know a few people locally who love discmania and have turned to other alternatives because they aren't going to wait for retail stock or pay the extreme mark ups from the secondary market.

Look at how popular MVP currently is - and how much they have re-invested back into their company to keep up with the market (they just purchased more molding machines this year to expand manufacturing) That would be a good example of a new company that started around the same time that developed their own manufacturing lines.

I have seen a lot of DM throwers coming over to Infinite especially on the FB group. I have also replaced some DM molds with Infinite molds because of price and availability, but you are starting to see the after market price tick up on some molds and plastics. It is however good that it seems Innova will make more for them, not the case with DM

Also the Centurion is what kicked but FD's out of the bag. I love that disc

That is still kinda coulda woulda shoulda. Its hypothetical. If they made that investement in, say 2012. Made their own molds (Innova likely would not have given them the ones they used), who knows if they had become as popular. Such huge investment would have meant less money to put into the business moves they made instead, in the current timeline. Branching out into the US market was one huge investment, one that paid off, and got them the demand that they now are struggling to meet. Instead they could have been manufacturing their own discs in Finland, catering to the local market, and remaining a medium sized company.

Its an alternate universe, impossbile to predict where they would be now. Now they are making their best quarter ever (Jan-Mar 2021, at least for the parent company Spin18). Surely, even more profit could have been made if Originals were readily available. But its not like they are down in the gutter either.

Last edited:
It's going to be very hard for me to buy discs produced by Innova in the future if Innova can just decide to discontinue the business of competing companies they manufacture for. When I choose discs to bag I choose discs that are readily available. I guess Innova is now on the blacklist

It's going to be very hard for me to buy discs produced by Innova in the future if Innova can just decide to discontinue the business of competing companies they manufacture for. When I choose discs to bag I choose discs that are readily available. I guess Innova is now on the blacklist

I'm not sure Innova "decided to discontinue...Discmania...". My understanding is that Discmania was having Innova make all their discs...then Discmania decided to have another company make some of their discs. Well, Discmania is taking business away from Innova...so Innova probably said...well then you are going to be lower on the list....we have other brands that really want to work with us.

I'd guess that Innova will still be making discs for Discmania....however, Discmania won't be a priority.

Simple answer...no. Discmania has been in the market for much longer and has done things infinite will likely never do. Just because a bunch of people are salty they can't buy the discs they want right now does not mean anything. All of these threads are going to look really silly when the originals line (or most of it) is back in stock and people flock back to DM. Is infinite a growing company that is also produced by innova...yes. That is where the similarities end. I never would have guessed such a "laid back" community would get all up in arms about a few discs being out of stock. It is actually absurd to see.

Taking a close look at Discmania strategy over the years, they are striving to be a global brand and have lined up manufacturing initially in the U.S., then Europe and China presumably to spread out the supply risk, reduce currency exchange and language complications, and reduce shipping costs and delivery time to distributors and retailers on those continents.

Exactly. Lets say disc golf explodes in Europe. It'll be nice to ship from Sweden and not from the US. In Asia theres even more potential population wise, but I just dont see that happening in a big scale just yet.

I'm not sure Innova "decided to discontinue...Discmania...". My understanding is that Discmania was having Innova make all their discs...then Discmania decided to have another company make some of their discs. Well, Discmania is taking business away from Innova...so Innova probably said...well then you are going to be lower on the list....we have other brands that really want to work with us.

I'd guess that Innova will still be making discs for Discmania....however, Discmania won't be a priority.

My local shop is getting all kinds of weird Innova produced discs like Millennium and even Infinite, however, they haven't gotten a Discmania disc in like a year. It's pretty clear that Innova is unwilling to produce for Discmania at this time.

I never would have guessed such a "laid back" community would get all up in arms about a few discs being out of stock. It is actually absurd to see.
Well, I'm bagging P2s and FDs. It's just that it's impossible to buy those discs on the market, so I guess I'm no longer bagging P2s and FDs right

I let go of all of my P2s like a year ago and I posted in the local facebook group and had 8 a matter of 2 days 4 of which are Psycho stamps. Its not like they are impossible to find...

Simple answer...no. Discmania has been in the market for much longer and has done things infinite will likely never do. Just because a bunch of people are salty they can't buy the discs they want right now does not mean anything. All of these threads are going to look really silly when the originals line (or most of it) is back in stock and people flock back to DM. Is infinite a growing company that is also produced by innova...yes. That is where the similarities end. I never would have guessed such a "laid back" community would get all up in arms about a few discs being out of stock. It is actually absurd to see.

This thread wasn't created because I am salty, I don't throw any Discmania or Infinite. This thread was created because it seems like Infinite is growing in popularity jus like DM did when they can out and to me infinites rise is similar to DM's.

I don't think that how people are acting over DM's lack of inventory is absurd by any means. Pretty sure Prodigy is under the same pressure right now because they cant keep their originals inventory stocked so they are pushing their Chinese line real hard. People want to throw Discmania and they cant because DM cant keep up with demand. Id be just as pissed right now too if I threw the originals from DM. If I had to contemplate swapping out my entire bag, because none of my discs can be replaced, I would not be happy.

You also realize that its more than just a few discs that are out of stock and that when they do come back in stock they are gone quick.

Last edited:
I let go of all of my P2s like a year ago and I posted in the local facebook group and had 8 a matter of 2 days 4 of which are Psycho stamps. Its not like they are impossible to find...

I think a lot of people have issues because they dont have the money to pay the black market prices that we are all seeing on FB and Ebay. So yes, thy arent impossible to find, but they might be out of the price range of most.