• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is removing the flash important?

svenlock09

Bogey Member
I have recently been reading that removing the flash helps break in a disc sooner? Is this correct? Ive never heard much on this topic and would like some information. I'm not even sure I know how to do this.

The flashing makes a disc more stable. It won't help break it in but the flashing being there is making it more overstable than the mold should be. Basically removing the flashing will put the disc less overstable, but not help break it in because you are just putting it back to how it's supposed to be, new. I like to remove it because it eats at my fingers.

Taking the flashing off will make a disc less stable. You can take some sandpaper and sand it down. You can also cut it off, but sanding is easier.

Ah i see. The flashing is keeping the disc from flying the way it was intended. I will definitely have to work on my discs. My orc really needs it. Thanks guys

Plus, for me at least, saves my finger from getting ripped open from the flashing going across it.

to be honest, I always thought that was just how some molds were-they ripped your fingers. A friend loves his teebird but cant throw it as often as he would like to because his fingers just cant take it. He will be happy to hear he can take that edge off

I'm not sure how much difference grinding off a microscopically small ridge of waste plastic makes to the flight characteristics of a new disc, but it sure is nice to not have bloody fingers after 18 holes.

In addition to making them fly more overstable they also fly a touch slower. Taking it off should add a couple feet to your drive.

I take a razor sharp pocket knife and carefully cut it off. If you mess up you can carve a chunk out of your disc, but I'm real experienced with my knives so I'm confident.

In addition to making them fly more overstable they also fly a touch slower. Taking it off should add a couple feet to your drive.

I take a razor sharp pocket knife and carefully cut it off. If you mess up you can carve a chunk out of your disc, but I'm real experienced with my knives so I'm confident.

Apparently experienced at carving chunks out of discs. That's how you learn. Right? :D

I agree with what everyone said above. I rub the disc in a circular motion on a wood bench for champ and on a cement teepad for star. Works fast and well.

Apparently experienced at carving chunks out of discs. That's how you learn. Right? :D

Nah, just a judgment based on the reactions I get when I tell people I de-flash with a knife. Most people give me the omgwtfbbq!!1 look and seem to think it's impossible to cut off flashing with a pocket knife and not mess it up.

I recently bought a Z Buzzz I've never seen a disc with a thicker flashing, almost 5 mil I'd estimate. Before removing the flashing the disc was more overstable than a drone and had no glide at all, just hyzer'd into the ground. Now flash-less the disc flies like a buzzz.

You guys all suck! Now I am going to look like an idiot rubbing my discs on trees, tee pads and picnic tables to remove flashing. I will probably get committed and live out my feeble existence in a home. A-holes!!!

the extra piece of plastic on the inside rim the cuts the crap out of your finger. Well mostly its just extra plastic from the mold release. That hurts like heck.

I have found that my Orc's always have a bunch of flash on them, really pisses me off. I haven't had as much of a problem with Discraft, but the amount of flash doesn't determine which disc I buy. I love my Lat 64 stuff but they seem to have a significant amount of flash on multiple edges of their discs. That being said sandpaper and 10 minutes gets 10 discs done. I also agree that the flash removal makes the disc do what its suppose to do rather than just be a painful overstable version of my disc.

Ok, I need some details to try this out. I just checked out my River, Flow and Core. In my opinion there isn't much there. We're talking about them rough edge on them lower inside part of them rim correct? So, if I am supposed to sand it, what do I use? Steel wool, 400 grit sandpaper, 300, 250, 200? Anybody have any specific suggestions? I don't want to pull out my Dremel and end up with a new mini. Thanks.

Latest posts