• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Is the Valkyrie on the "not cool" list? What gives?

why throw a finess driver 350' when I throw a 380' laser with a TL everytime....

350? Try upwards of 500 +. Besides, finesse is harder to come by than distance and being able to finesse a disc W/ distance is quite a nice trick.

:thmbup:

Valks are good. I don't really have a slot for them though. They don't go appreciably further than my control drivers and I have various wraiths for serious max distance stuff...and if the hyzer flip line is what I need I can hyzer flip an avenger SS as far as anything...or a really like wraith.

I always keep one in the bag for overhead though...just such a great overhead disc...for control lines.

\/\/

I carry wraiths in the bag as well, so I know what you're talking about when you mention the valk's flight being so close to other discs in the bag.

I can't get away with throwing valk's flat anymore. It's a must-flip situation every time. The degree of str8ness and / right turn of the fairway decides how flippy I'd like to throw it.

I swear this thing pushes 300-350 ft. then starts breaking right ....and never comes back.

Soooooo pretty.

I love my Valkyrie as a great hyzer flip disc and for long turnover shots, like looooong left-to-right holes such as hole 17 on the Little Lehigh Parkway (I've parked a Valk on this hole many times):

775ffbdc.jpg

I found it to be a touch more stable than the Sidewinders I was throwing, which were way too flippy. I can usually get at least 10-15' more out of a flipped Valk than my Wraiths. Noodle arm? Perhaps, but it's what works for me.

Who cares what other folks say about the Valk. I throw a 150 Champ Valk for my RHBH roller shots and I absolutely love my seasoned Star Valk for hyzer-flips.

I guess I'm "not cool".....

hey discboy and mcflea i will take the bet to but i will have my 16 year old brother throwing the valk (because i would crush you) im at allot of minis and tournies let me know

If everyone is calling the Valk a girl's disc, then I guess really girly women throw Leopards and Archangels.

The Valk doesn't really get flippy or require "finesse" (throwing softer) until you're getting them close to 400' or they're beat (but you can say that for most any disc). They're actually a better choice, IMO, for players who aren't breaking 400' with distance drivers than a Wraith. If you are getting them 400' then a Wraith will probably go farther.

I carry 3 champ valks, all 171g. For the tunnel shots, they are dead nuts straight, and the smooth left to right annys, money. I carry wraiths, too, but for the more open holes where you can grip it and rip it.

The Valk doesn't really get flippy or require "finesse" (throwing softer) until you're getting them close to 400' or they're beat (but you can say that for most any disc). They're actually a better choice, IMO, for players who aren't breaking 400' with distance drivers than a Wraith. If you are getting them 400' then a Wraith will probably go farther.

Yes, I know what you mean. Thats why my wife and others players needing more distance love this disc.

why throw a finess driver 350' when I throw a 380' laser with a TL everytime....

I would have to agree. I carry 3 TLs in my bag and have a high appreciation for this disc.

I recently took my 168 Champ Valk out of the bag replaced by:
175 Star Wraith for distance
175 ESP Stalker for shorter anny
173 Z SS Surge for longer anny and hyzer flips.

The SS Surge seems to fly very similar to my 168 Valk, which I was turning over and had to throw hyzer to get it to flatten out (still likely to carry right - RHBH)

I added back my old DX Valk (which was AWESOME new, held a line like no other no matter how much force I put into the throw but after a couple of months it became a roller)

So I have a Valk in my bag (and one in the trunk of my car)!
Yay!

Last edited:
What was that disc you just threw so well?

Valks, Sidewinders, Roadrunners (to some extent, a Beast): Flippy sisters.
(all in my bag with stamp removed to avoid the look from others :D)

If everyone is calling the Valk a girl's disc, then I guess really girly women throw Leopards and Archangels.

People were calling the Valk a girl's disc because until sometime last year, they had Juliana Korver's sig on them. There's alot of weird sexism in the game.

F what's cool anyhow.
T'row what woiks

Seriously.

If you are concerned about what's "cool", what the hell are you doing playing disc golf, to say nothing about being a registered and active posting member of an online forum about disc golf?

This sounds like a self-evaluation alarm blaring.

Has anyone else noticed that when you find a disc, the chance of it being a Valkyrie is disproportionately high? Of all the discs in the world ole Valk is burried in the bushes or in the briars more than any other disc on the planet it seems. Every person I play with has found at least one Valk including myself. I don't even pick em up anymore :) Maybe it is because every party store, sporting goods chain, or what have you carries it but I don't know. Sounds fishy. If you can throw it well, good job. My sister likes hers (jk)...

We have found our fair share of Valks. Valkyries, Leopards, and TeeRexes are what we always seem to find around here. My son nailed his first Ace with a Champ Valk.

Latest posts