• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this guy a falling-putter?

Falling putts?

• Total voters
I say that this is illegal, because of 803.04 section B. Saying that Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when putting within 10 meters. So The way that I think that it should be interpreted is that he is stepping forward past his marker in his motion because he never really stops his motion. it might be jerky but in my eyes its still his throw until he stops all motion with both feet planted.

Of course this is something everyone could argue about forever. It really just needs to be clarified by the PDGA.

803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line
of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in
803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc; and,
(3) have all of his or her supporting points in-bounds.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when
putting within 10 meters.

this is why its hard as hell to get newer players to come out to leagues and tournaments. even if it is the most minor infraction of the rules, there is always going to be someone to call foul to swing the advantage in there favor even if there was no advantage gained by whatever minor rule was broken. this hurts the sport!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe in your neck of the woods, but that's anything but the case here in Charlotte. The leagues and tourneys here have large turnouts.

When playing in a league or tournament, do you think it should be deemed okay to break a rule? Doesn't that in fact defeat the purpose of having rules to the game if it's okay to break a rule? If anything, I would expect attendance to suffer if rules enforcement was treated with little regard.

By the way, what would be considered a minor rule?

I like how I post a video of me doing controlled putter drives well past 300' after playing DG seriously for 1 year, and I get told my socks suck, I need to wear a shirt, and I have an 11 page thread calling me out on keeping my left foot in the air until after the putter is at rest in the basket in a casual round played solo, despite maintaining balance at all times and in no way using forward momentum to illegally benefit my putting.

The roll eyes smiley does not do my feelings justice. :D

I like how I post a video of me doing controlled putter drives well past 300' after playing DG seriously for 1 year, and I get told my socks suck, I need to wear a shirt, and I have an 11 page thread calling me out on keeping my left foot in the air until after the putter is at rest in the basket in a casual round played solo, despite maintaining balance at all times and in no way using forward momentum to illegally benefit my putting.

pretty rediculous...I don't see what the big deal is here. Some of these peeps are acting like you just beat them in a tournament and now they are trying to justify WHY you beat them...:( nice vid btw

The video of Dave Feldberg's putting clinic in this thread would have been useful, though it apparently has been privatized/removed. Anyone remember it? From what Feldberg was explaining in the video, Apothecary is correct and IMO the instances identified are falling putts. Control or no control, the video explained that under the new rule, it's required that you at least tap your back foot on the ground behind the marker and not merely wave it over the blades of grass as you step forward to retrieve your disc.

P.S. I don't care how well you can balance on a skateboard; prove it in your putts.
"But officer, I can drive the speed limit I swear. Here's a video of me driving under the limit yesterday. Seee dontcha see huh huh?!"

Last edited:
P.S. I don't care how well you can balance on a skateboard.

I don't expect anyone to, it was just to put things into perspective. If I can do a nollie 360 shove to manual 360 boneless out, or one footed nose manual shove to manual shove out, disc golf isn't exactly going to push my balance ya know? That notion is just laughable.

It's cool though, you guys keep ranting over the internet about a guy playing a casual round by himself who doesn't have a PDGA membership or play in tournaments and doesn't putt the way you'd like.

I don't expect anyone to, it was just to put things into perspective. If I can do a nollie 360 shove to manual 360 boneless out, or one footed nose manual shove to manual shove out, disc golf isn't exactly going to push my balance ya know? That notion is just laughable.

It's cool though, you guys keep ranting over the internet about a guy playing a casual round by himself who doesn't have a PDGA membership or play in tournaments and doesn't putt the way you'd like.

Mike, I enjoyed the vid. I'm certainly envious of your putting skills especially considering how short a time you've been playing. The way you were draining some of those long putts, I would seriously partake in some tourneys if I were you.

I appreciate you posting your video. While it started off as something for Apothecary to troll, it opened up some dialogue and allowed people to express their views and interpretations of the PDGA rules. For those of us that do play competitively, things like this do arise during tourney play where people question if a rule has been violated. Just think of your video as a tool for us to use as a better understanding of the rules of the game. :thmbup: Believe me, discussing aspects of the game like this is far better than having to read yet another ace thread, lost disc thread or some other tired topic.

FWIW, there's a lot of really incorrect information in this thread. Falling putts/demonstrating balance has nothing to do with both feet on the ground, and the rule wasn't and isn't written that way. Toe tapping to get that second foot down works for wide receivers, but makes no difference in disc golf. You can tap your toe and still not demonstrate balance, and you can stay on one leg and still demonstrate balance. Also, the disc being in the basket makes no difference at all. The rule doesn't say demonstrate balance until your disc is at rest, it says demonstrate balance before you advance beyond your lie.

B. Stepping past the marker disc is permitted after the disc is released, except when
putting within 10 meters.

Can I interpret this to mean that I am forbidden to step past my marker at all if I am w/n 10 meters? So does my caddy have to get my disc for me? :p

This is seriously a very dumb and over complicated rule. This needs revision, pronto. And I thought the 'practice throw' rule was dumb.

Question about the "You need to put your other foot down behind your marker before you advance" stipulation: What if you only have one leg? Huh? Did I just blow your mind? :D

Mike, you look tight, tight like a tiger.
goldmember.jpg

these posts are getting redonkulous....mike c, dont listen to the haters...i have to bail on this thread, hit me up if your ever in nw ohio

The video of Dave Feldberg's putting clinic in this thread would have been useful, though it apparently has been privatized/removed. Anyone remember it? From what Feldberg was explaining in the video, Apothecary is correct and IMO the instances identified are falling putts. Control or no control, the video explained that under the new rule, it's required that you at least tap your back foot on the ground behind the marker and not merely wave it over the blades of grass as you step forward to retrieve your disc.

P.S. I don't care how well you can balance on a skateboard; prove it in your putts.
"But officer, I can drive the speed limit I swear. Here's a video of me driving under the limit yesterday. Seee dontcha see huh huh?!"

If you look toward the end of that very same thread, there's mention that what Feldberg was demonstrating was being enforced just at the USDGC.

Come on mike, you're not new to the Internet- people post disc pics and we comment on their bedspreads:)

i posted this thread because i wanted to clarify the rule. your vid contained some borderline stuff which i thought would be a good teaching tool. everyone please forgive me if my posts in this thread seemed a touch trolly. its just how i am.:\ this is not, however, trolling to troll. i am trying to divine information, teaching and learning as we go.:)

on a side note, i cant believe youve only been playing for a year. you throw a wizard like a pro.

hope there are no hard feelings. (though i would totally still call you on it...:p):)

i posted this thread because i wanted to clarify the rule. your vid contained some borderline stuff which i thought would be a good teaching tool. everyone please forgive me if my posts in this thread seemed a touch trolly. its just how i am.:\ this is not, however, trolling to troll. i am trying to divine information, teaching and learning as we go.:)

Yeah, I agree with Apoth, this has been an interesting discussion; I'll vouch for him on his admission of his non-trolling intent.

They need to either become more lax on this rule to the point that falling putts are almost impossible to be called or make it clearer about the whole balance demonstration thing. Personally, I think they should just make where as long as you aren't falling over completely, it's not a falling putt.

and how does one show a stop of forward momentum? by pausing on one foot for long enough that one could not possibly construe it as anything but a halt of momentum (id say a two-second pause, balanced and controlled on one foot would be sufficient) or by rocking back the other direction, planted on two feet.

if you use either of those techniques, there is no way youll ever be called on it.

if you dont, ill call you on it all day long. TDs know more about the state of rule interpretation than most casual players. i havent played competitively, but the optimist in me thinks that they would side with a strict interpretation of this rule and wouldnt hesitate to stroke for that infraction.

but lord knows many arent in the know.

so i guess my two main questions are: how would they interpret the rule at the highest levels of disc golf? and how are most of the people on the ground enforcing it (do competitors stroke when they see a similar putt to the subjects? are those infractions upheld?)?

look at :29 (the most clear example). he doesnt put his left foot down. are you saying that, if he didnt put his foot down to clearly establish balance behind the line, he made an illegal putt?

look at :29 (the most clear example). he doesnt put his left foot down. are you saying that, if he didnt put his foot down to clearly establish balance behind the line, he made an illegal putt?

At 29 in you can clearly see me extend my left leg and pick up my right heel as I putt, then pause in perfect balance, set down my right heel, then proceed forward. Pretty clear to me, but whatever.