• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this supposed to be a joke? (Hole #3 Disctractions @ Hueston Woods)

T-dub

2a906ea0_m.jpg

Basket is roughly 300' out slightly to the right of center & backs up on a ravine. Left side is relatively fair.

Seems like a roller might be good? Been throwing RHFH here but usually don't put enough on it for fear of it ending up in the ditch.

Thoughts?

I've only played three rounds there, twice playing hole three from the long tee (as above). Took a 3 and a 5 as a first year player throwing rhbh. What you don't want to do is roll to the ravine on the right. Yep, the tee shot is sensitive, and just might require discing down to get a safe line, play for a three, but it's not impossible...

i'd probably try the fuse or summit through the gap on the left. something i can trust will turn a bit.

or maybe flex something overstable, but it's allllll going through that left gap unless the view from the front left of the tee offers me the chance to put my breaker on a hyzer through the right side with a standstill delivery. tough to tell which gap is larger with that view. tough, but yeah.

Tough gap, but not uncommon for Midwest golf. Sack up and rip it. If you miss, send a mid or Fairway driver to the pin, take your three. No joke.

Looks legit to me. There's at least three good lines right off the tee, or so it seems from the picture. One of these days I ought to play it when I visit Oxford.

Looks legit to me. There's at least three good lines right off the tee, or so it seems from the picture. One of these days I ought to play it when I visit Oxford.

Oh yeah, I'd definitely recommend it. It's a really fun course and Hueston Woods is awesome in general. You've got the lake at your back on this one, too. If you like threading narrow lines through a lot of timber you'll love this course. With the Miami U course semi-dismantled it's also the only one around.

For a new player though, I've been wondering what most people do with this one in particular. Tried a roller a few times but haven't managed to get it to run up that little hill yet (that narrow trail runs uphill a ways, kinda hard to tell from the pic).

On the right of this fairway and even closer to the basket is a 15' drop off to a creek.
A roller is never an option, imo. Also this picture does not show how close to the tee the tree really is, and it's dead center off the tee. The tee should have been moved over to the left about 3'-4'.

A slight turnover up the left side is what I do. The basket is less than 10' from the drop off.
I like the hole and the course. Hank (owner of Sweetees DG store) has worked hard to clear things out.

Oh, Thank God!

When I saw the headline, "Is this supposed to be a joke? Hole #3.... ", I was afraid that it was about number 3 on the new Springwood Players' Course.

2a906ea0_m.jpg

Basket is roughly 300' out slightly to the right of center & backs up on a ravine. Left side is relatively fair.

Seems like a roller might be good? Been throwing RHFH here but usually don't put enough on it for fear of it ending up in the ditch.

Thoughts?

Yeah, looks like a mako3 to the left main gap. Turns ever so slightly to to the right around it and hopefully (if thrown correctly) holds that line up the fairway.