• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Is this supposed to be a joke? (Hole #3 Disctractions @ Hueston Woods)

So whats the issue with this hole?
Exactly! What's the problem? Hit a gap much?
I've seen worse. I've driven off a tee pad with a large tree directly in front of it!
You want a joke hole? Check out #13 at Winged Deer:
75' feet down the fairway is a wall of schule! There is no path through except up & over the top!
21fd537e.jpg

Dont throw overhead much? Better learn!

P.S. I love this 'joke' hole!

So whats the issue with this hole?

Basically? I'm new & was looking for advice on how to attack what is to me at least, at my current level, a difficult tee shot. There are a ton of gaps, tunnel shots, low canopy &tc on this course but this particular tee..

Thanks all for the advice, btw. Can't wait to get out there again.

Yes! errr... I mean the answer to the OP's question is NO. These are the holes that make it all worth while. Nothing is more exhilarating than a well accomplished feat.

I've seen worse. Much worse.

My advice? RHFH through the left gap there or rocket your straightest disc up the middle gap and try settling for a 3. Some holes you just gotta go for a 3 and be happy with that.

Looks fun though!

I've played this hole, and the key is not to over power your drive. Nice and easy, even if it takes two or, God forbid, three.

As I recall, my Dad hit the ravine here, and it is only a ten or twenty foot ditch without water. It sucked climbing down because he got his pants muddy, but he got his disc back and he is 65. Really not as scary as the OP makes it sound.

I'm curious if those trees are an intentional design or a result of lagging course upkeep?

I'm curious if those trees are an intentional design or a result of lagging course upkeep?

The whole course is naturally wooded. I don't think they removed a single tree to make it, which I actually like in this case. The rough and undergrowth is under control, though, and it really plays nice.

In order for it to be lagging upkeep, the trees would have to be younger than the course, and those are full grown. They didn't suddenly sprout in the way of the desired lines.

It was intentional and I did point out to the course designer that the tee could/should have been moved to the left a few feet. The tee is pointing at the center of that big tree that is only 15'-20' off the tee. Just doesn't seem right when standing on the tee.

With that said there is a route to the left of the tree that is fair.

Is it possible to hyzerflip something (Star Leopard comes to mind) through the two trees directly in front of the teepad? Hard to tell the size of the gap, but it would give a little more clearance and should follow the path relatively well...

Those gaps are huge compared to Hole #6 at Barnett Park............ :)

The whole course is naturally wooded. I don't think they removed a single tree to make it, which I actually like in this case. The rough and undergrowth is under control, though, and it really plays nice.

It's old-growth forest on a state park so my guess is they weren't allowed to alter much of anything. Nor would I want them to, as far as that goes.

Agree that it's fairly well-maintained but watch out for poison ivy on the fairways as well as in the rough. It's really bad in spots, particularly on the back half of the course. Again it's a state park so whatever solution there may be to get rid of it would have to be low-impact.

As for the ravine.. It's not the Grand Canyon or anything & I've climbed down there more than a couple of times myself, but it's definitely someplace you want to avoid if you can help it. This hole has what they call a "well-protected green" in ball golf.

My first home course was Oxbow Park, pre-1996 Worlds, and when I moved to Kalamazoo in 1998, Cold Brook Park was. So, the hole originally posted in this thread looks fine to me. I've had my share of holes over the years that seem like you're playing "Plinko!" from the Price is Right...

I've had my share of holes over the years that seem like you're playing "Plinko!" from the Price is Right...

Great reference. I call those "Plinko Holes" lol... sometimes you just need to huck it and hope for some tree love.... Hole #6 at Shore Acres Park in Saugatuck comes to mind...

One other thing, this picture does not give you the right sense of how it is when standing on the tee. This picture is from behind the tee. When you stand at the front (where we all release our drives) it looks different. The tree is closer than this shows.

I'd probably throw a thumber, overhand, or forehand roller at it; those are my fall-back styles when I don't think I've got the backhand for the gap.

Thumber I'd start to the right of the tree, tomahawk to the left, roller I'd have to take a closer look at the hole.

Looks like there is a hyzer line on the right side. Some holes arent meant to be scoring holes! Take a par and run!