• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

It's logical - Innova Vulcan onboard

its shallower than the Katana.

katana rim depth is 1.2cm, vulcan is 1.1cm according to discgolfsweden.se

Katana is also taller, 1.8 height, Vulcan is 1.4

Roc Lover said:
its shallower than the Katana.
mrhorse.jpg

I got a couple throws in with the Vulcan today. The conditions were crappy, horrible footing, cold, and my throwing shoulder's been killing me. I kind of liked what I saw. The one I threw was a 159g Champ. It flew understable with slight fade. It seemed to glide really well. But I'm thinking that once I try to throw it under normal conditions, it will be one flippy SOB.

ForeverBlue232 said:
But I'm thinking that once I try to throw it under normal conditions, it will be one flippy SOB.

you are cor-rect, sir
EdMcMahon17.jpg

got one of the max weight purple GCC vulcans in. Its super flippy once it hits proper cruising speed with no come back at all on a regular height shot. Basically a super flippy POS for the most part.

LOL when I first started playing all the fast discs coming out were meathooks for me. Now I can mostly throw those and the only new options are stuff I would meathook the other way. I have a road runner already. I threw a katana and it was the same. This sounds about the same too. I love innova mids and most of their drivers, but I am gonna stick to their reliable molds and try to quit buying new stuff. Save a little money I could be buying oop plastic with lol, stick to the best.

A serious question: could the Vulcan be a really great out-of-the-box roller disc? The shallow knife-edged rimmed discs really do roll quite well, especially through grass, whereas thicker rimmed discs are more liable to get friction rolling through grass blades.

Anyone who has one of these, try it out and see how well it works. I think that would be very cool if the Vulcan turned out to fill that kind of slot very well, don't you?

the vulcan is an amazing out of the box roller. it is very VERY long as a roller. FYI i throw RoadRunners for short rollers that need to finish right, and Destroyers for my long rollers.

those that are saying it is too flippy might need to learn how to throw a finesse disc, or try to control nose angle to produce the desired results.

Roc Lover said:
CatPredator said:
The best way to promote the sport is by designing more great courses, holding events at them, and then providing exciting media coverage of those events. Putting a speed 13 disc in a beginner's hand is just a good way for them to get frustrated or injure themselves. Very few competitive players will be using these.

Both of these points are very true

True from an experienced player's perspective, only.

Now, think about the demographics of disc golf: the disc golf customer base is kind of a pyramid. Most of the pyramid consists of people who are newer and/or less experienced players. Only some of those will devote enough real effort to get to a higher level of play, ascending the pyramid to the next level...this is why there are fewer customers within this higher level. And some of those players on the higher leverl ascend even higher, but that higher higher level consists of even fewer players still, so the pyramid shrinks on up to the pinnacle, which consists of NT pros who are on the leader card at least every other event they play in.

Several inferences that are different than some of the opinions already expressed could be gleaned from this information. An example is the "beneficent manufacturer" hypothesis, which begins by admitting that one could say the manufacturers are smart to target the largest portion of the disc golf customer base. That's obvious. Once these manufacturers can sell more discs they can grow and become more influential. This could have tangential benefits, like they would have more revenue and could buy up land for more epic courses, because having more courses also helps their business, which accomplishes a goal that is good for all the disc golf community. Another example is the "pyramid-grows-from-the-base" hypothesis, which posits that if you can get more excitement into lesser experienced players and get more of them hooked on the game, well then, the base of the pyramid grows, and guess what follows after that? Of course, the entire pyramid grows, the top becomes even more elite, and so on and so forth. The sport is improved over all because the manufacturers found a way to get less experienced players hooked on the game. I could go on...

I personally think it is a positive thing for the manufacturers to experiment and make a huge variety of discs so that we can all begin to understand how disc shape correlates to its flight characteristics. We need to learn more about this pivotal technological connection to disc golf. The sport might otherwise end up stuck behind surmountable technical barriers because we didn't take a thorough approach and try a huge variety of shapes to get an idea of the spread and a huge population of data. Of course, the research needs to be both thorough (as I've been arguing for thus far) and rigorous. I don't see much of the latter happening yet in disc golf, but I predict that it will come sooner than we think if the sport continues to grow this fast and attract the interest of even more scientists and engineers.

its not that i need to learn how to throw a finesse disc, its that once the disc hits its proper cruising speed for a speed 13 disc it becomes radically understable. Most any throw thrown level at the proper cruising speed for the disc will show that the disc is mad understable. Good if thats what you want. I personally dont.

Roc Lover said:
in all honesty the same people who are shanking boss' katnas and grooves all over the course would probably also spray teebirds, eagles and gazelles everywhere too, just less consistently. Instead of them always fading theyd fade, get turned over, and roll into groups of people on other holes lol.

I couldn't agree more. I think the "anti-wide-rimmed-drivers" crew is a little to fundamentalist about it. Note: I don't personally play with any wide-rimmed drivers. However, I think

1. Anyone who really gives a damn about playing good disc golf will be interested enough to figure out what all different kinds of discs do. Marketing Wahoos and Vulcans to casuals is not going to hurt the ambitious player.

2. Casual players (like you say above) arent' necessarily going to play that much better with a Teebird. Probably their crappy form is helped a little by the enormous rotational inertia of wide rimmed discs. They probably throw a Boss a little farther easier and they'll never put the effort in to smoothy 350'+ out of a Leopard. The casual player really isn't hurt either.

One thing I would like to see is, along with the marketing of discs, about a little marketing of disc golf education. I wonder how how-to books would sell.

x-out said:
those that are saying it is too flippy might need to learn how to throw a finesse disc, or try to control nose angle to produce the desired results.

A speed 13 can hardly be considered a finesse disc. Learning to throw a Comet or Impact isn't going to teach you how to get this thing up to cruising speed much less control it there.

JHern said:
...the "beneficent manufacturer" hypothesis...the "pyramid-grows-from-the-base" hypothesis...

I realize Innova needs to build it's marketing machine to remain relevant in this burgeoning business but I question whether putting out the Vulcan and Wahoo will do that. I imagine there is also a hypothesis where a company's desire to grow outstrips it's will or ability to continue driving forward research and development and they cash in on half ass products at the cost of their integrity. Innova's core line up is truly great so it will be hard to destabilize what they have going, but I see these new discs as being a step backwards. At best, failed experiments that may lead to something better later.

In any event, I also hope to see more technological innovations and small disc companies. MVP and Vibram both seem to be doing some exciting stuff.

CatPredator said:
x-out said:

A speed 13 can hardly be considered a finesse disc. Learning to throw a Comet or Impact isn't going to teach you how to get this thing up to cruising speed much less control it there.

the vulcan is a finesse disc in the speed 13 category. this takes into account you are using it for an air shot. i'm not sure what category you think it falls under. the boss, groove, and many katanas are stable to overstable. those discs do not require any touch or form to fly.

i have seen the vulcan used as both a roller and in the air. if a player knows how to manipulate this disc, they can achieve great results. i'm not saying your going to see world class players using it as their go to air shot. i'm willing to bet it will be a main disc for many master/grandmaster/senior grandmaster players who can throw, but not crush as they once could.