• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

JD RHBH(~360') Help

EnergyEnvy

(Second post but wanted a new thread because last title felt misleading/want to keep this one indefinitely)

So currently my RHBH sits at reaching roughly 360' with the occasional 400' (mapped with udisc). I'm looking to push myself consistently to the 425'+ range. I know that I can do it with some help from here.

This is the video of shots that I threw today 6/6/17. 5 shots all together all with Aviars all going about 225-260' so this tells me I must be messing up big somewhere. Especially considering the pros can throw putters 350'+ consistently.

(Link if embedding doesn't work: https://youtu.be/1Zt_mcEsvxs)

Stuff I notice with these shots and could be expanded on:

1. I'm pushing off my back leg with my heel which is stopping a lot of my weight shift I presume?

2. My non throwing arm is not tight with my body (easy fix, imo)

Questions I have:

To avoid stepping off my back leg's heel what should I be doing? Should I be trying to turn my hips back in? If so how do I land on my brace leg to transfer weight without opening up?

I feel like I'm really really close to a breakthrough after watching through much of SW22's vids it has really helped me see a lot of stuff. Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Stuff I notice with these shots and could be expanded on:

1. I'm pushing off my back leg with my heel which is stopping a lot of my weight shift I presume?

2. My non throwing arm is not tight with my body (easy fix, imo)

Questions I have:

To avoid stepping off my back leg's heel what should I be doing? Should I be trying to turn my hips back in? If so how do I land on my brace leg to transfer weight without opening up?

I feel like I'm really really close to a breakthrough after watching through much of SW22's vids it has really helped me see a lot of stuff. Any and all feedback is appreciated!
Yep you are caught weight back with both heels on the ground simultaneously, never should have both heels on ground at same time because there is no real shift of the spine/weight/balance from one leg to the other leg, instead when both heels are on ground you end up tipping your spine/weight/balance over one way or the other. You want to stride your feet more laterally/sideways, not so backwards to target. You want firm feet to turn your body inside feet from the ground. Think about a skier in moguls or slalom, they stay closed while making a lateral shift left/right back and forth which turns them down the slope. The firmer posture maintained against their weight/inertia, the tighter more compact and faster they turn and go down the slope. Better balance makes those transitions smooth and fast.

So I was doing some field practice today and I am rotating my hips properly and I can feel the loading and I can feel the pressure going into my right hip/butt coming onto my brace, but how do I transition that into throwing power. How do I transfer thru my core and into my arm. I feel like I'm missing something?

I didn't end up uploading the footage but I think i found out what I'm doing? It looks like I am leading with my shoulder instead of my elbow. I'll hold off on any other questions for a few days. Get some field practice in and see where I'm at in a few days

Hey guys, back again... not much in the ways of progress in terms of distance, the shots in this video are 345-375', but they feel better? I don't feel like I'm straining as hard to get the distance. But now I have some questions because it seems like the weight shift is still where I'm getting stuck.

- For the shift in my throws it seems like my body is lagging behind on my back leg and I'm not really sure if there's any drills that would help with that or if it's just timing?

- I know the pull is supposed to be nice and loose with a good grip just on the disc, so my question is if anyone can tell if I'm pulling the disc through too slow?

- I also notice that my timing is off from the time I "crush the can" and when I start my pull. (I plan on doing 1 leg drills for this)

Any other major things people notice please let me know as I'm really trying to push my distance!

Your left step is too long so it gets ahead of your body, then when you start stepping with the right foot your body is now outside of your stance. You can either shorten your left step in behind, or do a skip type of step so your body moves forward as well and remains inside of your stance.

I also think your plant step is too far, which may be the cause of the forward pull timing with crushing the can. Try to have a really narrow front step...actually do a crazy small left step and plant step, try to throw like 60-70% putter and mid shots with a small stance. See if that helps you feel balanced and then ramp up the power slowly.

Your left step is too long so it gets ahead of your body, then when you start stepping with the right foot your body is now outside of your stance. You can either shorten your left step in behind, or do a skip type of step so your body moves forward as well and remains inside of your stance.

I also think your plant step is too far, which may be the cause of the forward pull timing with crushing the can. Try to have a really narrow front step...actually do a crazy small left step and plant step, try to throw like 60-70% putter and mid shots with a small stance. See if that helps you feel balanced and then ramp up the power slowly.

Thanks SP, that makes a lot of sense I'll definitely try that!

So worked really hard this last month and I have pushed my distance to 380-400 consistently but I'm still wanting to push myself even further! Here's a few throws I did today to see what I could learn from behind and it looks like I'm still having a problem keeping some weight on my back leg. Any drills I can do to help me get that leg 'squeezed' into my body and also as usual if there's any other things you see that would help let me know! Here's links to the throws:
https://youtu.be/J4A-fvInWlA
https://youtu.be/giY8nuPwFx8
https://youtu.be/UxI3OIm1U9o

Thanks again for all the help!

Definitely looking better, and same advice still applies. Need to shift all your weight off the rear foot and into the plant more. Try crushing the can with your rear foot raised off the ground like I show in part 2.

Awesome! I'll work on that and come back in a couple weeks to see where I'm at, thanks for the help!

So I had a question about my back leg shifting forward. Should it naturally be pulled forward when I'm "crushing the can" with my plant foot or should I be pushing off of it to squeeze it into my body. I guess this is just a little confusing to me because it seems the more I try to push off of it the more it tends to make the whole motion awkward and off balance. When reviewing some pros it seems like they turn and bring it in to their body but that could just be the natural thing they do when they are "crushing the can." If anyone could give me some insight on this it would be much appreciated!

It's kind of a push pull thing. You push before the can crush, and the rear leg swivels/pivots/everts as your weight leaves the rear foot and pulls it from the ground into the can crush. See the Swivel Chair Drill, it leads into Crush the Can. Also see second half of Hershyzer.

Latest posts