• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Josh's bag

JoshtheGamer

Hi. I'm new here. Here's what I'm throwing RHBH. Open to suggestions!

Basic bag, holds about 9 discs.

Putters:

DX Aviar 175g--Used for approach or close up when the basket is on a tricky slope or lie. Tends to stick to the ground better than the harder plastic putters​

170 KC Aviar--My go to putter inside 35 ft. Doesn't stick to the ground as well as the DX, but I like the firmer plastic for reliable putts.​

Mid Range:

180g DX Roc--Fairly new. It fades before hitting the ground, and I like that. The predictable fade can forgive me if I overpower this Roc on longer mid range shots.

175g DX Roc--Seasoned. For mid-range anny shots or straight shots that need little to no fade. I've hit some basket rims and chains with this Roc, but never aced or got any sinks outside of 150 with it.​

Fairway Drivers:

175g Star Teebird in good condition. My go to driver for ~250-300 ft, but it's starting to lose some of its stability. I've got a hole on my home course that I always throw a Teebird spike hyzer, so this thing is taking a beating.

175g Star Leopard in newish condition. I use this for anny drives ~275 ft. It's a little squirrely, but it's a fairly new addition and I'm still getting adjusted to it.​

Distance Drivers:

168 Champ Mamba, nice and domey with no cuts or dents. Found this on my home course with no name or #. This is my reliable roller.

175 Star Archon. This is my control driver. Easy to turnover, and I can roll it if needed. I wish I could throw a long distance hyzer flip with it, but this disc doesn't seem to go past 350 for me on a flat surface.

175 Star Wraith, seasoned. I can throw this disc straight with a reliable fade, throw big hyzers, or turn it over slightly for more distance. With a good rip, I can send it 350-400 ft.​

Benched discs that are in my house or trunk:

175 DX Roc (new), in case I lose one of the other rocs.

175 Star Valk. This thing has been used and abused. Hard to control it anymore, but once in awhile I can rip a good hyzer flip with it.

175 Star Orc in almost new condition. Good disc that is similar to my wraith, but I don't have room for it in my bag.

175 Star Katana. I used to throw a Pro Katana for big, open shot hyzer flips. I was hoping to have the same success with the star Kat, but it seems really overstable in comparison to the pro version I had (and lost :( ). I have a hard time getting this to turn over without giving it an anny release. Even then, it usually fades out earlier than I would like. The top looks way flatter than it should be. My pro had a big dome on it. I'm thinking maybe it needs to be broken in a lot more, or maybe it's a mis-stamp or something.

174 SS Surge. I have a hard time controlling this disc. I can't seem to get reliable results. Prefer my Boss or Wraith.

175 Champ Monarch. Was going to be my roller disc, but I had better results with the Mamba. Probably needs to be used more often. It's still in fairly new condition.

175 DX Cro. I like this disc, but I prefer my Rocs.

150 DX Cobra. I loan this out to any new players I can drag out for a round.

172 Star Boss. Found it at my local course. It's well used. I like this disc, and I can throw it a a bit further than my Wraith IF I get a good release, power, and angle on it. It's just not quite as reliable.

175 Star Xcaliber. Found at my local course. No name or call back #. I can't throw this thing. It's too much disc. It goes about 200 feet, then just fades out and skips another 50 feet. I should probably throw this when I need a short spike hyzer drive, but it doesn't happen often enough for me to keep it in my bag.

170 Star Vulcan. I just got this on clearance for $10. I haven't spent enough time to figure it out. Might take my Archon's spot if I can throw annies or really long hyzer flips with it.

175 Classic Aviar. I like this disc, but not as much as I like my KC.

172 DX Aviar. Well used. I loan it out when playing with someone new or I use it to practice putts at home.

??? DX Birdie. Got it used for a couple bucks. It's okay, but it tends to roll if it hits the basket and doesn't go in.

175 DX Dart. I like this disc for long approches, but 90% of the time I'd rather throw a Roc or a DX Aviar. The dart has too much speed & glide for normal range putts.

175 Star Lycan. Too understable, but I do like to throw this disc straight around 150 ft. Also not too bad for long putts. I like the rim and feel of the disc. For midrange, I'd rather use a Cro, Shark or Roc.

Wishlist: Champ Firebird for windy days and spike hyzers (so maybe my teebird won't get beat to hell).

Josh

If you want a disc a little less stable than your Star Wraith you could try a Pro wraith.
You won't go wrong with a firebird.
Depending on how beat your Teebird is you could try to hyzer flip it and see what kind of distance you can get with it. If you want your teebid to last longer you can get a champion.
If you really like throwing rocs you should give KC Rocs a shot. They wear in really nice.

If youre looking for a disc that is longer than your Archon, but less stable than your Wraith, try the ESP Crank. The ESPs have a nice amount of turn to them and are very fast and beat in well. The Zs are more OS and tend to not beat up much.

I suggest replacing the arching with another wraith possibly a lighter one you could beat in and season well. It will hyzer flip for miles. With that being said, no need for the surge. Here is my suggestion. Your bag is very solid but there are some room for improvement.

Putters:
DX Aviar x2
KC Aviar

Mids:
DX Roc x3 (in various conditions of wear. You can cycle your rocs really well as many people do)

Fairways:
Teebird
Orc
Leopard

Drivers
Wraith x2 (one lighter weight one max weight. I suggest a pro or star and it will season well)
Mamba

Thanks for the suggestions. New discs to check out!

Pro Wraith (maybe 170?) or Star (165ish?) or Pro Katana (175). I really do want to get another pro Katana, but I haven't gotten around to it yet. Hoping I can find one in the used bin that is in decent shape, but I guess the new pro discs probably aren't more than 13 anyway.
KC Roc
ESP Crank
X Comet
A bigger bag (one that can hold my ~36 oz bottle). Anyone ever use one of the nutsac's? I really like over the shoulder bags since they're easier to take on and off.

My Teebird is still in good shape, but it's definitely less stable now that it's been thrown about 300 times and spiked into the ground another 40. If it gets beat enough, maybe I'll sell/trade the Leopard and get a new Teebird. :D

Bags depend on how many you want to carry, anything over 15 I'd suggest backpack straps or a backpack. So depending on what discs or extras you would want to carry really determines what kind of bag best suits you. As for the nutsac a couple of my friends have them and they are really well built, but they limit what you can carry. As for new discs i would suggest picking one mold IE wraith and cycle them, you would benefit from having a consistent feel in the hand and you could beat up a pro writ for max d or us shots.