• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Just like a Comet?

I agree with armiller

I haven't thrown anything that holds the line true as a comet. Yes you can over power it. Everyone knows that. But if you know how to use it for what it's designed for it is an awesome tool. Holds any line you put it on if thrown right. Or you can put a little tourqe on it and Hyser flip it.
Honestly think it's one of if not the most under rated disc in the sport.

umm...nevermind. I thought someone was talking about a different disc :x

Last edited:
Beware their are no silver bullets.

Go figure, an out of date disc with a huge dome and larger than modern diameter size keeps getting great reviews.

The glide factor is that of aforementioned. Modern discs do similiar tactics with improved profiles.

However, raw physics would indicate that the specs dictate the impressive lines due to the diameter and dome of the comet.

More plastic equals comet lines. A simple but forgotten equation.

Comet-like. Putter: Slightly worn in MVP electron Atom, super straight n floaty like a comet.
Mid: Axiom Alias, very straight and controllable for any shot
Fairway, yeah the FD is a good call there
Thats about it, can't really have a driver like that, BUT if there was I'd say an Axiom Insanity can be aired out to be straight and floaty

i don't know why people suggest MVP or Axiom discs in Comet comparison or replacement threads. the power & torque needed to make any MVP or Axiom disc fly like a Comet defeats the purpose of the Comet itself.

i don't know why people suggest MVP or Axiom discs in Comet comparison or replacement threads. the power & torque needed to make any MVP or Axiom disc fly like a Comet defeats the purpose of the Comet itself.

I disagree with this. Of all the discs I've tried, my Tangent flies most like a Comet, and is actually easier to throw at low power than my Comet (although I suspect that is a result of how it feels in the hand, which is the only reason I don't bag a Comet any more).

The only other disc that comes close for me is a beat firm Ibex I have, which flies pretty similarly.

I disagree with this. Of all the discs I've tried, my Tangent flies most like a Comet, and is actually easier to throw at low power than my Comet (although I suspect that is a result of how it feels in the hand, which is the only reason I don't bag a Comet any more).

The only other disc that comes close for me is a beat firm Ibex I have, which flies pretty similarly.

I tried the tangent and it is just a more modern disc. Wants to be thrown harder and on a lower line. The evidence and fuse, I felt were the same. All good discs, but none can really replicate how the comet does what it does.

Comet is my all time fav disc as well. And X Comets are what got me hooked.
I have a hard time classifying any driver I've thrown as truly "Comet-like."
Milennium JLS is close.
Certain Discraft XLs can be close. Usually Elite X or lower PLH Elite Zs.
Similarly, certain Leopards can be close as well. I really like the Pro plastic Leos for this reason but the shape needs to be right. It seems like the Pros most often have the shape I want..

I understand this is old but what is the desired shape of Pro Leopard to mimic a good x Comet?

I hope it a Relay and not a Leopard. I don't bag Leopards and I really dont need any more collector discs. I am getting too many non throwers and I really don't want the temptation.

I hope it a Relay and not a Leopard. I don't bag Leopards and I really dont need any more collector discs. I am getting too many non throwers and I really don't want the temptation.
LOL, it's nothing like that. Besides, my next custom stamp will likely be Comet-specific. Or Rhyno.

Latest posts