• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

KC Pro does NOT mean it will dye like Pro plastic!!!

BennettUA

Lefty Activist
Bronze level trusted reviewer
I bought a nice new Ken Climo Pro Aviar to dye for a good putter. I assumed the "Pro" meant Pro plastic, but it seems it only means "Ken Climo is a pro, and this disc is made of recycled scrap."

I cut and masked with great attention to detail to get the font right(all hand-cut). I knew this was going to look clean and sweet when finished. I mixed some "scarlet" and "wine" Rit dye concentrate with a little water and into the warm pan it went.
After soaking for 10 minutes, the vinyl was dyed, but the disc didn't seem to hold ANY dye. OK, no prob, I'll warm up the dye again, let it go longer.....and on and on. No different. I added more dye concentrate. Same. By the time I was done, the liquid was basically all dye and no water. I left it in the pan overnight and through today.
This is the end result----a weakish pink/purple, looks like chewed bubble gum.
3740863394_7886c5e7f0_b.jpg

The lines are clean, no bleeds, although I don't know how a bleed would hold anyway......
So this will be a practice putter.
Word to the wise -- KC PRO does NOTTTTTT mean Pro plastic!!!!
:| :|
BennettUA

BTW, KC Pro plastic is different from driver Pro plastic. KC doesn't dye well :wink:.
Neither does DX... I don't remember hearing anything about R-Pro.

Champ/Z and Star/ESP are the way to go. X and driver Pro are fine but not quite as good.

marmoset said:
BTW, KC Pro plastic is different from driver Pro plastic. KC doesn't dye well :wink:.
Neither does DX... I don't remember hearing anything about R-Pro.

Champ/Z and Star/ESP are the way to go. X and driver Pro are fine but not quite as good.

I know right? How silly of me to think that KC Pro and Pro would be eons of difference in dying! Oh no wait.....

Live and learn, but if the plastics are THAT much different that a day's soaking couldn't get any dye into it, they should call it a different kind of plastic than just "KC". ("Climo" would've been cooler than "KC" anyway......:D)

If this is what DX dyes like, I won't even bother trying.

But now that I'm confident in my dyeing skills, I'll just be buying the good plastic anyway, and that's all I throw and give away, but I do like the grippy feel of Pro plastic some days, especially wet days.

The problem I see is that you tried for a crimson instead Burnt Orange and Navy Blue.

War Eagle :D

Cud said:
The problem I see is that you tried for a crimson instead Burnt Orange and Navy Blue.

War Eagle :D

You don't need dye to make an Auburn disc -- just sh!t on it and you're done!

HAHA, just kidding. Although, if we're going after low scores, I guess an Auburn disc WOULD be the way to go.................... :p