• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Keen: Bryce WP vs. Marshall WP

Which shoe should I buy?

• Total voters

@iDiscGolf

* Ace Member *
Looking to buy a new pair of DG/Hiking shoes most likely from amazon in the next few days. I had Merrells Moab Mids for around 5 years that I used for DG/mountainbiking/hiking, really worked out well. :thmbup:

After researching now I think Im going to go with either the KEEN Bryce wp or the Marshall wp. Ive tried on the Marshalls at REI and they felt wonderful. They did not have the Bryce but I am still considering.

Anybody have any recommendations or things I should consider with these particularly.

Thanks, :popcorn:

I've had the Keen Bryce for about a year now and wear them disc golfing. Obviously, try them on first because they fit differently from Merrell Moabs. They've held up very well on the outside after a year and still look new although some of the fabric stitching on the inside heel has come loose. I like the Bryce over the Marshall because it has more leather, which you can hit up with some mink oil to make it even more waterproof.

I picked up a pair of Marshall WPs like amonth ago, and I like them, a pretty solid blend of hiker and running shoe, which is what I was looking for this round. The Siskiyous (spelling?) I had before were more straight hiker and I liked them, but the 2 part sole they had that year didn't stand up to the pivot for long. (Looking at this year's pair online, looks like they changed that sole for the better.) Anyway, it seems like the Marshall sole, a bit more flexible/softer, is going to "wear" a little faster, but not come apart, so pretty durable while giving me more of that "sneaker" feel I wanted. haven't had them long enough to give a good long-term durability review, but I've played 17-20 rounds on them, plus field work 3 days/week, and they're holding up good so far.

Played right after a deluge last week, submerged them in some swampy fairways, and the waterproofing is legit.

My only "beef" is that it seems like the insoles were kind of crappy, paper thin and sort of cheap seeming. Mildly disappointing in a high-end shoe, but easily remedied of course.

edit: Oh yeah, since you tried these on you're probably fine there, but the other Keen hikers seem to have a bit wider fit than most, which works for me but may not suit you if Merrils have fit you good.

I really like the fit of my Bryces. I have the mids and they were great for the first few snows this winter, and were great again after I got a pair of gaiters. They have a wide profile in the toebox, but it makes for stable footing - no rolled ankles for this guy!

The stitching inside at the heel cup of my right boot has ripped and the leather has cracked/chunked at the inside toe crease of the left boot. This is after 1 year. They were a warranty replacement for my last Keens and I will try to get another pair out of them if I can. After watching my buddy tear up his Moabs in less than a year... I don't think one brand is better than the other, avid DG is just really hard on shoes.

Would it be safe to say that the Marshall's would be more comfortable and flexible, and that the Bryce could be more durable and maybe better waterproof, (yet stiffer and not quite as flexible)?

It looks like the Bryce WP aren't really available many places anymore. Seems as if they maybe replacing them soon?

Im going to order the Marhsalls I think, partly because I can't find the Bryce WP in size 12. Last question is how do the sizing of Keen shoes run, small or right on?

Thanks.

I've found Keens to fit a bit wider than standard. I have wide feet, so I love them for that. I generally wear 13, and these Marshalls are 13s and are about just right. I'd even say that, with thinner socks, they're borderline loose.

So for sure, I'd say don't size up any.

(The sizing thing is what always makes me nervous ordering shoes online.)

Merrell Proterra GTX! Best hiking/ DG shoe I have ever owned. I was using the Salomon Speedcross but the Gore-Tex on the pro terra sold me. The shoes are unbelievably breathable which helps a lot with sweaty feet. I can't say enough about these shoes.

Got the Marshall's WP after trying all the similar shoes in at REI. The Marshall's fit amazing and felt as if they were already broken into perfection! And for less than $100 bucks on Amazon I couldn't pass it up.

Anyone interested or have questions, I can help with the keen Marshall's WP and the Merrill Ventilators and even the others that I tried on too...

Shoes are an important investment and play a huge part in your game.

I actually own both the Bryce WP and the Marshal WP. The Bryce shoes are a bit wider in the front. I like the extra rigid support the Marshall's have in the arch. Both are excellent choices.

I actually own both the Bryce WP and the Marshal WP. The Bryce shoes are a bit wider in the front. I like the extra rigid support the Marshall's have in the arch. Both are excellent choices.

These Marshall's feel like the widest shoe I've ever owned, but I like them. Glad I got these instead of the even wider Bryce. Yeah, Dosent make a bad shoe in there lineup for sure, just depends on your needs.

i received my marshalls last week after having the bryce for a year and half. biggest difference i feel is a much better grip. i was a hater of my bryce in wet conditions

I don't know if it was just me, but I went through a pair of Marshall WP in about 2 months. One of the yellow colored stripes on the bottom (outside foot) of the sole separated and was flapping around. Thankfully I purchased them at REI and I brought them back for a replacement pair. I hope the second pair hold up better than the first.

i received my marshalls last week after having the bryce for a year and half. biggest difference i feel is a much better grip. i was a hater of my bryce in wet conditions
Wet conditions are my future, just moved to the beautiful state of Oregon. Happy with my choice so far.
I don't know if it was just me, but I went through a pair of Marshall WP in about 2 months. One of the yellow colored stripes on the bottom (outside foot) of the sole separated and was flapping around. Thankfully I purchased them at REI and I brought them back for a replacement pair. I hope the second pair hold up better than the first.

That's crazy, I suspect that to be a fluke, or you drag your around the course :p jk

I've never, ever, had shoes wear that quick. Even from Big 5. But yeah REI is a great company, lil pricey and they don't price match amazon otherwise I would have. -$30 on amazon.

Great shoe...

i have marhsall WP and voted other...its summer time! get some KEEN sandals or the CTX shoes are amazing!
plus the WP are sealed well and my feet sweat
i just got another pair of marshalls non WP and they are sweet

i have marhsall WP and voted other...its summer time! get some KEEN sandals or the CTX shoes are amazing!
plus the WP are sealed well and my feet sweat
i just got another pair of marshalls non WP and they are sweet

I have both Marshall WPs and non-WPs as well.

They are indeed sweet. :hfive:

Big difference eh between the WP and non?

I thought about getting a pair for summer, and the rest of the year. Otherwise I really like everything about the shoe, the fit, the look, the sole, the width… Really satisfied with my decision.

Keen Targhee 2 Mid Boot. Best DG shoes ever made. The toes on a lot of my other shoes would wear out so fast because I drag my toes on my FH shots a lot. Not with these boots. Very durable and very waterproof. I never hesitate to stomp around on the course through mud or creeks. Yeah, they get hot in the summer but I just cycle through socks after every round and am just fine.

That's crazy, I suspect that to be a fluke, or you drag your around the course :p jk

Great shoe......

LoPan has a pic in another Marshall thread. My buddy has had two pair. All had tears at the yellow part after just a few rounds. My buddy's first pair only took 10 rounds before he noticed it. His second pair took about 20 rounds, but didn't rip as bad, at least last time he showed me. Its just a lot of force twisting on concrete, and the Marshall soles are borderline too soft.
He's still happy with them, and he'll probably get a good year out of them. Still waterproof, too.

Latest posts