• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Key factor for power?

Which piece of a jigsaw puzzle is the most important?

Sure it is nice to have all the edges and the corners are a good place to start, but that is partly because they are easy to pick out of the mess and get you started. If the puzzle is a single subject on a swirly background then most of the pieces that show the object seem more important than the backgound stuff. You will see the picture, it seems like the point, but without all the pieces the puzzle is not complete.

There are parts of the throw that maybe are more important, but there is not a single silver bullet. Not in DG and not in any sport.

One thing I've seen a bit here, but a lot more in some other sports is people asking about very specific muscle building. Same thing as trying to find the one part of the throw that is responsible for power. You need all the parts together.

The kinetic chain. Which link in the chain is the most important? There is just so much of the swing that you can't have one part properly without another.

The most important piece of a jigsaw puzzle is the one you are missing.
The most important part of a chain is the broken link.

One of the biggest hurdles in developing form comes from regression as we as individuals try and fix an issue and something else breaks in the process. Looking for or concentrating on just one part as the MOST important will hold you in that point of regression where we KNOW we are better than what we are producing and we KNOW we are doing this part we've been working on better than we were 6 months or a year ago...

If you really want a silver bullet? I guess Monkey Arms. There is a lot of issues that can be compensated for with silly long levers.

Well, the most important piece of a jigsaw puzzle is the big picture of it, and I do believe there is a silver bullet. But I do not believe it is the holy "snap", or turning your hips "this much or that much", having the elbow 90 degrees, using x-step or other things people tend to focus on. For me it is the brace, the foundation of it all - THIS is the silver bullet.
And I do not believe very many people fully recognize the importance of it, or understand all the if's, how's and why's... because, well... it is "just a brace"... right?
It's the factor of how energy, not only is transmitted into the disc, but how energy is added to it throughout the chain... or in most cases, leaked and lost.

There are parts of the throw that maybe are more important, but there is not a single silver bullet. Not in DG and not in any sport.

One thing I've seen a bit here ... trying to find the one part of the throw that is responsible for power. You need all the parts together.

The kinetic chain. Which link in the chain is the most important? There is just so much of the swing that you can't have one part properly without another.

This is all you need to know. You cannot think or argue or read your way into power. You can just learn what is wrong with how you throw, and work to improve it.

I've added about 75 feet to my throw over the last one and a half years (as well as accuracy, consistency, and effortlessness). It has been a ton of fieldwork, analyzing video of my throws, drills from SW22 and rounds. There are epiphanies, plateaus, frustrations, steps backward, and lots of great times outside. I've worked at various times on balance, bracing, feeling the hit, timing, wide rail, not rounding, not muscling, staying loose, keeping taut, flexibility, strength and plyometrics. I swing sledge hammers, throw sledge hammers, throw soft for hours at a time, throw hard for hours at a time. Every once in a while, something clicks and I have a noticeable improvement. But then, the next day I can't always access 100% of that improvement. That is how it goes.

When I go to play my weekly round or two with my friends, I put all that out of mind and compete, and I have fun, win or lose (mostly lose).

The silver bullet is passion to play, will to improve, and understanding that you have a lifetime to keep trying.

I can spin a long tale about all the possible pieces of that jigsaw puzzle too - but Putt for Doh nailed it.

I will certainly own up to asking a very similar question on this forum BTW! - and the reality is that it's like asking what are the key factors for power in discus or jumping hurdles.

The primary boost in improvement is going to come from fixing the thing your doing the worst, right? These various motions all work together so the process is basically trying to pick the basic motion apart and emulate it.

In my opinion, the basic motion is pretty relate-able to a tennis backhand, a hockey shot, a baseball swing or a golf swing. The fundamentals could be thought of as balance, posture and timing.

If one of the fundamentals is off, you will likely never make up for it with the others.