• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Lat64 vs Discraft?

Of course. Because we all know that 'Merica makes the best everything.

I was assuming he only meant to encourage local economy not necessarly because they are superior. Honestly, one can play pretty darn good disc golf with any company, and discraft has some fine plastic, and so do Lat 64º.

That's most likely the mold shape and not the plastic. Buzzes are flat... they don't glide like cores do, no matter the plastic.

I'm talking about the comparison between discs of the same mold in different plastics. Compared to the other plastic lines for each mold from the respective manufacturers, gold line and Ti don't compare flight characteristics all that well. It is obvious that different molds fly differently, even when said to be similar. To suggest that one lacks understanding that different yet similar molds fly differently is to suggest they have a lack of understanding on aerodynamic principals.

One thing I've noticed about the discs from these two manufacturers is the flight plate on Discraft discs are near perfect, while the Lat discs flight plates are sometimes flawed. All my Discraft discs are beautiful, while half my Lat discs have an uneven concave dimple in the center of the flightplate.

My Bolt is clean on top and absolutely BOMBS, but my River... If you had a date with an areola shaped like the flightplate of my River, you'd go play with the other one.

One thing I've noticed about the discs from these two manufacturers is the flight plate on Discraft discs are near perfect, while the Lat discs flight plates are sometimes flawed. All my Discraft discs are beautiful, while half my Lat discs have an uneven concave dimple in the center of the flightplate.

My Bolt is clean on top and absolutely BOMBS, but my River... If you had a date with an areola shaped like the flightplate of my River, you'd go play with the other one.

This is almost certainly happening to the Lat64 discs during shipping/storage...I'd try buying them from a different store. I've seen a lot of Discraft discs with dimples, especially FLX/ESP discs with the circle stamp.

I just held Lat 64 discs for the first time today. I thought the Opto plastic felt awesome - like a grippier Z. I'm enjoying my Cyclones, but holding an Opto River definitely gave me pause...

At the beginning of the season my bag was 80% discraft, 18% Innova and 2% Gateway (wizards and a couple voodoo's). After experimenting and working with Lat plastic, my bag is now 95% Lat, 1% Innova (1 JK Pro Valk), 2% Discraft (1 Cryztal Sparkle Zone and 1 ESP Buzzz that I had specially dyed probably the only reason it's still there) and 2% Gateway (Wizards and Voodoo's but the Opto Pure made it's way into the putter pouch). This is the first time I have ever thought that my bag is complete.....

This is almost certainly happening to the Lat64 discs during shipping/storage...

This was not from shipping/storage. And, I don't know how much it affects flight, but it certainly doesn't inspire confidence that I'm getting all that I should from the disc.

Last edited:
This was not from shipping/storage.

So you bought discs at a store with collapsed domes? Collapsed domes happen when discs suction to one another during shipping/storage. Lat uses stickers to help prevent this when they ship from the factory, but not all retailers make sure the stickers are in place when storing/shipping after they receive the discs. They did not come out of the mold like that...

This was not from shipping/storage. I bought it online, would have passed on it otherwise. B&M store near me doesn't stock Lat.

Last edited:
Would also suggest a flow to replace the surge. I started to move away from Discraft plastic trying out new stuff and the flow slid in pretty well. Saint, Core and Fuse are also good choices as well.

Do not listen to this advice, the surge is a superior disc.

I wouldn't recommend replacing the Buzzz or Comet with anything Latitude makes. They are superior molds, IMO. The Fuse is a good disc, try it out if you are interested, but I wouldn't replace the Comet with it.

This was not from shipping/storage. I bought it online, would have passed on it otherwise. B&M store near me doesn't stock Lat.

So how do you know the discs were not shipped/stored improperly before they got to you? What I do know is that domes collapse due to suction during shipping. Basically air gets trapped between two discs and as the package experiences changes in temperature it creates a negative pressure between the discs that sucks the dome in. The only other way domes are damaged is if something is pushing the dome in over time, again a storage issue.

I'm not sure I would replace a Buzzz with a Core

but I would for sure replace that Buzzz with a VIP Warship

Do not listen to this advice, the surge is a superior disc.

I think the Flow can easily replace the surge. It did in my case anyway. I also like the flow for a really tight thumber. It doesn't need as much side to side room to flip up. Just my opinion.....

I wouldn't recommend replacing the Buzzz or Comet with anything Latitude makes. They are superior molds, IMO. The Fuse is a good disc, try it out if you are interested, but I wouldn't replace the Comet with it.

They can easily replace them if you give them a chance. I was a huge huge buzzz/esp comet thrower. You couldn't even tell me that a disc could be better than a buzzz until I tried them and actually gave them a chance. The TP Warship also throws like a longer Buzzz for me. But to each his own; if you say you prefer the Buzzz/Roc?Core/Fuse whatever, then I say fine. Just don't try to tell me that they can't be replaced..

Buy in-store and you'll only get a suctioned discs if you choose to. I unpack as soon as possible and don't store them on top of each other once removed. It does cause damage!