• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Latitude 64°

Picked up a handful of Diamonds to use for our local park district's Family Disc Golf Outing and of course, couldn't resist taking them out to play.

First thing I noticed about the Diamond was the inner rim. By the numbers, it's the same depth as a number of other discs but it felt shallow. It appears this difference is owing to a broader transition radius between the inner rim and the wing, sacrificing some potential power for a less sensitive release. Big fingers won't like this but it wasn't designed for them. One thing that helps with grip is that the normally flat portion of the inner rim has a slight concavity, aiding in finger placement, kinda comfy really.

I threw a pair of 146g Opto Diamonds today along with a 150g Star Valk, a 150g S CD (FR), and a 150 S PD (DGR) for comparison. Not surprisingly, the Diamonds were the least stable of the lot though not as understable as I had expected. I'm thinking the name 'Diamond' should have been something like 'Creek' or 'Stream' because I found the Diamond to fly much like a little River, just a someone mentioned earlier. Testing conditions were bit breezy (20 mph gusting to 25). Downwind the Diamond soared, crosswind it was more controllable than I expected, headwind it got raped where I could manage controlled shots with the other three discs. I threw a coupla big effortless annies with a left to right wind that were a thing of beauty, flexing out right before settling down on the ground. Gonna have to throw this alongside some Rivers and Visions next time. Much fun.

Dag said:
Picked up a handful of Diamonds to use for our local park district's Family Disc Golf Outing and of course, couldn't resist taking them out to play.

First thing I noticed about the Diamond was the inner rim. By the numbers, it's the same depth as a number of other discs but it felt shallow. It appears this difference is owing to a broader transition radius between the inner rim and the wing, sacrificing some potential power for a less sensitive release. Big fingers won't like this but it wasn't designed for them. One thing that helps with grip is that the normally flat portion of the inner rim has a slight concavity, aiding in finger placement, kinda comfy really.

I threw a pair of 146g Opto Diamonds today along with a 150g Star Valk, a 150g S CD (FR), and a 150 S PD (DGR) for comparison. Not surprisingly, the Diamonds were the least stable of the lot though not as understable as I had expected. I'm thinking the name 'Diamond' should have been something like 'Creek' or 'Stream' because I found the Diamond to fly much like a little River, just a someone mentioned earlier. Testing conditions were bit breezy (20 mph gusting to 25). Downwind the Diamond soared, crosswind it was more controllable than I expected, headwind it got raped where I could manage controlled shots with the other three discs. I threw a coupla big effortless annies with a left to right wind that were a thing of beauty, flexing out right before settling down on the ground. Gonna have to throw this alongside some Rivers and Visions next time. Much fun.

Would you say that it felt like a longer fuse but shorter river?

linkinparkervii said:
Would you say that it felt like a longer fuse but shorter river?

The Diamond stamp reads 'Easy to use Fairway Driver' and it is just that. It doesn't feel like a mid. At my power level (320' +/- 20' reliable) I doubt I would lose much if any distance compared to a River. I'll test that next time out as I've been carrying a light/heavy River combo and the Diamond may take the role the light River was playing.

RS39 said:
gknmnstr said:
gknmnstr said:
If I could be guaranteed to get an overstable river I would buy one. sounds pretty awesome. would also like one of the firebird strikers but there are so rare and i'm not buying forty discs just to get the ONE i want.
I said it before and I am still looking; have some lying around?

2 PMs, and pics, were sent in March........

I suppose I should have mentioned that I can't buy latitude discs in any store in my area. I have to E-order which is why I can't check plh :cry:

Marshall st and gggt will usually check a stack for you. And I have seen discspeed/clearwater do this for people too. Doesn't hurt to ask. You have alot better chance of a retailer selling you one than prying one loose on here.

EL-KABONG! said:
Marshall st and gggt will usually check a stack for you. And I have seen discspeed/clearwater do this for people too. Doesn't hurt to ask. You have alot better chance of a retailer selling you one than prying one loose on here.

Yep...I can help at Clearwater, Hoey can help you at Marshall St, or ZJ/Leopard at Disc Nation. Pick your poison! DGR privileges. :D

discspeed said:
EL-KABONG! said:

Yep...I can help at Clearwater, Hoey can help you at Marshall St, or ZJ/Leopard at Disc Nation. Pick your poison! DGR privileges. :D
You're a stand-up dude....very nice.

If I remember the next time I'm at the marshall st shop I can take a look for you. Shouldn't be too long before I make another trip down there.

Scratch my Diamond/RIver comparison above. Took the same pair of 146g Diamonds out again with my two lightest Rivers, a 167g GL and a 165g Opto. The Rivers are more overstable even taking the weight difference into account. Range-wise the Rivers and Diamonds were coming up broadly the same distance though I noticed the Diamonds appear to get there faster, I'm guessing that due to their lower profile.

11 year old kid throwing the new Diamond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkbbW0QOUS4&feature=player_embedded

My 10 year old daughter is begging for a new Diamond....can't believe my 10 year old is hooked on Lat plastic. She throws a 172g River 100' now, she's gonna kill me with a Diamond. Hehehe

discspeed said:
EL-KABONG! said:

UNOIT! some talented mutha truckers right there.

So...my son(6 yrs old) has wanted to go disc'ing everyday since he got his 147g Diamond. He was using a 160g Star Sidewinder for quite some time. He gets his sidewinder out to about 50 ft. He is able to get the diamond out to about 75 ft. He had his longest throw to date with it as well...measured 83 ft. So, kudos to Lat64 for producing a very high quality/easy to throw disc. I would like to try one of these in a heavier weight. Could be a magical roller.

Jeronimo said:
uNicedmeMan said:
Might have to get one of these for my girlfriend...
It's ok, you can buy it for yourself without shame. :wink:
My first thought was "This is a disc aimed at children, do we need to inform the police?"

Jeronimo said:
uNicedmeMan said:
Might have to get one of these for my girlfriend...

It's ok, you can buy it for yourself without shame. :wink:

By all means yes. I think Lat64 did themselves a dis-service by tacking the 'Light' onto the end of the name. I'm finding the Diamond to be a fun, workable, fairway driver with which I needn't impart as much force to attempt some more complex throws. For me at least, less thought about force equals greater accuracy. A seemingly effortless throw from a stand-still pushing near 300' is fun and I'm not a particularly skilled player. Heck, maybe I'm one of those lower power players that are the target audience for the disc.

Dag, would you say that the Diamond is more of an S-curve disc, or is it or a more of a hold-whatever-line-you-put-it-on disc? Based on the JFC 4 -2 2 3 rating, I would expect a flight more like a Cheetah than a Leopard.

If anyone else has thrown a Diamond, feel free to chime in.

latitude said:
11 year old kid throwing the new Diamond: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkbbW0QOUS4&feature=player_embedded

Monocacy
Watch this ^ kid put a few degrees of anny on this toss and get a tight s turn.

Watch it full screen max resolution and you can see the disc fade out at the end