• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning to 360 - Good, Bad, or Just Plain Ugly?

jenb

* Ace Member *
So, as ridiculous and newbish as 360ing apparently is perceived to be, I am wondering if there is anything useful to be taken away in learning how to do it.

So what do you think? Is it useful in any way? Does it do more harm than good? Is it just a waste of time?

Additionally, why is Jenkins allowed to do it, but everyone else catches hell for it? :p

i think it helps you feel what a full reach back is like. when i first started messing around with it in field work i could feel the difference of my arm reaching all the way back in my horrendous 360 run up and the somewhat reach back i had in my run up at the time. but that may just be me, i know none of my friends who play and tried to 360 for a while liked it and it helped none of them. it just confused them

360s look cool, but for the extra distance I'd get and the amount of time it would take me to get that distance I know I'd be better served working on my putting.

They have no real use on the course in my opinion. They look cool and might get a little more distance but I would rather practice stuff I will use in a round. I know I have some form flaws still and wouldn't even consider the 360 until everything has been cleaned up.

Make sure u stretch, those are a good way to hurt yourself. Had a friend tweek his back the other day doing it just one time....it went straight about 460ft lol, but the pain in his back hasnt went away yet

If you already have your throw perfect and you plan to be competing in some distance contests, it may be a good idea. Otherwise, I don't really see a point. It is never really all that useful on the course and will probably just mess up more things than it will help.

The only person that I have seen that uses a 360 and uses it well, is a 13 year old who normally places 1st in Advanced. He is freaking amazing and the only time he uses a 360 is when he's trying to match the distances thrown by MEN. Last tourney I played in he took 1st in an Advanced A Tier, kid is good.

I would practice out in an open field before trying it on a course. I've seen guys trying it and just plain embarassing themselves (shanking in the opposite direction, busting their a*& on the teepad, hurting themselves) :gross:

i have a friend who does it because it's the only way he can throw as far as i can. half of the time he shanks it so i don't really see the point.

i practice throwing them in my yard every now and then. i can only get it to around the same distance as my regular throw so there's no point.

I saw something this weeked I'd never seen before... a sidearm 360! I got to see it all 4 rounds at the hole I was spotting at and let me just say the results weren't impressive. He got 1 great tee shot and 3 poor ones. Not a good average.

i know a handful of pros that do it, im sure theyre not catching hell for it cuz theyre all successful at it.

i have learned how to do it, but right now its a little extraneous bc there is no improvement from my x step. for now its just fun and different, so i wouldnt do it in a tourny or anything. id say this run up can possibly add D bc it has more dramatic momentum and weight shift.

If you saw Big Jerm throwing them yesterday in the distance contest at High Country you would be rushing out to learn one. The guy who took 2nd place said Jerm was only 37 yards farther than he was.

I'm starting to use less and less run up, I couldn't imagine trying to use this. It's more important to control how the disc comes out in my opinion.

Can't imagine it is worth it. As someone above said, if you already have perfect form and are just using it for distance contests or open holes go for it. As for using it in a real round I wouldn't even attempt it. Here in NC we have these things called trees that get in the way of poorly placed throws. I would think I'd hit many more of those tree things trying to do a 360. I'll take my short, ****ty little throws and stay on the fairway thank you.