• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Learning to play - From the beginning

Hey man. I wanted to say that even though I've been playing since August, and I thought I had my form figured out, I read some of your posts and thought I'd try the arm swinging thing. Along with another thing somebody else told me, I have started driving over 400'. I wanted to tell you thanks for doing this and keep it up.

Good thread

I like this thread, good advise for beginning players.

I'd like to offer one piece of advise. This is very important for beginners. Don't try to make up for a poor shot by throwing a heroic shot. In other words, if you throw deep into the jungle and your path to the basket is more jungle with poor odds of advancing, look at laying back out to the fairway, even if you have to go sideways or backwards. And if you chose this option, figure out which side of the fairway will give you a better shot to the basket.

Play smarter, not harder.

Just got back from practicing my drive and playing the back 9 at a local course. By using the noodle arm technique and more follow through, I threw my DX Leopard 240' (this is a personal best.... no laughing).... and the Champ Teebird that I just bought went a little farther at 250 (about 83 paces).... this was on flat ground. I actually heard the "snap" for the first time on those throws. Also, I believe that slowing down my x-step help a lot. Now I just need to learn to be more accurate with the drive.

Here's a question... on your reachback, are you blind to the basket/shot. I mean does your head actually turn with your body? I guess that I was strong arming my shots too... and before I was almost facing the basket on the reachback every throw. I guess this is something I need to get used to?

Here's a question... on your reachback, are you blind to the basket/shot. I mean does your head actually turn with your body?

Yes. When throwing backhand, at the point where you are reaching furthest back, your right butt cheek (RHBH) should be pointing at the basket. Unless you're an owl, you shouldn't be able to see the basket/target when at this point.

Yes. When throwing backhand, at the point where you are reaching furthest back, your right butt cheek (RHBH) should be pointing at the basket. Unless you're an owl, you shouldn't be able to see the basket/target when at this point.

Awesome.... Thank you.

OP- sorry for hijacking!

Hey BIG what was it that someone had mentioned to you? And Parrot, that is a good point about playing smart. I know for me if im 100 or so out, I wont go for it. Because if I miss(and chances are that I will) I dont want to leave myself with some huge put.

For me personally, I have a big reach back and look away from the basket. Im sure some people have much smaller reachbacks too. The reason I reach back far is it makes my shoulders rotate more, and i can get more distance. As far as run ups, ive moved away from x steps and am at a standstill or 1 or 2 very small steps. I have a lot more control without adding in a big runup. But like others here Im new! I dont want to overthink something or overcomplicate it. It also helps my local course is short. But thanks for asking, I want to try a shorter reachback but rotating my shoulders more, and see how that goes!

Since ive been playing, and finding useful tips ive only stuck with them a short time and move on. Big mistake on my part. Its adding inconsistancies to my throwing. At first I couldnt figure it out, but then it was that lightbulb of "hey, youre new. Practice fundamentals!" So I think im going to work out some sort of "morning training" to do daily before ever throwing a disc. Main reason I bring this up is I was getting oat(wobble) today and until I stopped, went back to the basics of a throw, I couldnt get rid of it.

Also, I havent forgotten about the putting. I do plan on doing that later today!

I had some oat (wobble) as well throwing at lunch today. I know why, too. it was getting toward time to head back to work and I was rushing a few more throws. Gotta slow down and take my time. Otherwise, I was doing some pretty good throws with the wraith and the valkyrie today. tried throwing a little left handed today as well. can still do BH pretty well. but sidearm needs work. of course being new, everything needs work lol I just throw something different to break it up abit.

Last edited:
Before I forget, I attached my putting grip! The way I generally put is all snap, and power(distance) comes from how much weight transfer I use. My index finger on the rim is actually where the disc rotates around(at the tip). There is a lot of spin to my throws. If im 30-50 out and im going for it, I usually use less spin because if I miss even slightly left, I have so much spin the disc walks itself past the chains. My stance is 45 deggrees on foot placement, lead foot pointing slightly to the left. Shoulders square to the basket. Disc goes from my waist(weight back) to arm straight out(weight forward). I can aim with my arm and index finger for direction. Very clean release is needed. Its also very flat. Because of how I hold the disc, it is very secure and all the spin comes from my wrist. Simply change the angle to change the shot.

Sorry is that was too cut and dry! I was going over in my head all the steps involved when I putt.

Ill be going over some things I learned the couple days as well! One thing I would love to learn, read about, watch online, is aiming. Using your body to aim, like shoulders, hips, elbow, or whatever it is. If anyone has any links it would be much appreciated! Thanks!

PS - taking pictures of a grip is an akward thing to do. Especially trying to get the underside where all your fingers are!

Edit - Something I forgot to add is I stretch my hand out as far as possible when gripping like this. Im trying to have the tip of my index finger be as far away from the tip of my pinky as possible. If you dont do this, you wont have the same stability with the grip.

Attachments

• 2012-03-16 11.09.14.jpg
    2012-03-16 11.09.14.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2012-03-16 11.14.30.jpg
    2012-03-16 11.14.30.jpg
    19.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
long winded...I hope your eyes are well rested.

Hey RD and others :), played my 1st 18 today, so I though I'd share. (went to Parkside school with the family) It was pretty windy today, and the winds seemed to be swirling from basket to basket. ( Noob + wind+ grumpy 8 yr old = rough time lol) I did pretty well on the front nine, got one over on one hole and got a birdy on the next, so I finished on par for the front nine. (according to the signs) :thmbup:
Back 9...totally different story... was one or two over on 7 of the nine holes.
Need to practice the wind more, and my putting was close but not close enough. Seemed to be a bit high, as I hit the basket ring on 4 of the holes. :thmbdown:
As the family and I finished up, a couple of other golfers showed up and started throwing. I watched them for a few minutes as they played through and saw what I was doing wrong on my drives and learned what a disc thrown tomahawk looked like. I'm a fast learner.Took a few minutes and worked on that with my putter while I was there and was throwing tomahawk o.k. when we left.
I finished a horrid 20 over due to my really bad back 9. But, I learned alot to day, ( so it was kinda worth sucking)and am sure I will improve tremendously with more practice. Im going back tomarrow solo and see how I do.

Hey thats awesome! Dont feel bad about the score, its all about improvement!

I actually havent been out the last day or so. Messed up my knee. Before I explain that, let me share this with everyone. You HAVE to pivot when you throw and you HAVE to followthrough. I use to until I started trying to pivot on my heel. I would end up flat footed with no way to pivot. I was doing this....throwing around 400 easily 60+ times - played a couple rounds, plus a bunch of other stuff. Theres so much force behind bigger throws and I paid the price. Im also going back to pivoting on the ball of my foot until my knee has heeled for some time. And im not an older person(im 24) and quite fit. It can happen to anyone.

That said, I cant wait to get back out there! Ive been getting huge improvement all over and want to share it after its proven its worth. Ive also got a huge stack of plastic coming. I shouldnt of, I know. Haha

Until then, have fun, keep your mind open to new ideas, and learn!

Sorry to hear about your knee, man. Get better soon! I raced motocross for years, so I know how much a messed up knee can slow a person down. I'll post an update tomarrow of how I did, but you gotta share the list of what new plastics you got comin lol

Cant remeber everything, some is for the girlfriend too though. Haha. Prod magnet, 2 wizard SS, Anode Proton soft, 3 different leopards, champ firebird, champ eagle, sword, another pd, and a few others. I want to try some discraft stuff at some point, honesly id love to try it all! I feel bad limiting myself. I do know the 4 companies I have tried so far, have not let me down. If I got another order id say id grab a drone, river, buzzzs, preds, destroyers, warship, and im sure I could think of others as well. Got is it fun!

well, as far as Discraft goes, I found my self throwing my Buzzz alot today. it seemed to buck wind better than my Shark. Might wanna throw that on your list of discs to try.

I basically started with a shark and cobra as my mids. I was never really happy with either one and I kept reading about rocs and buzzzs. Picked up a roc locally and havent looked back since. I wish I had started with a roc because I dont feel like sharks or cobras are great to start with. I will be giving a buzzz a shot next week to see if I like those more. Im already so happy with my rocs, but am happy to try something else too.

Field Work, Field Work, Field Work, Field Work, Field Work.

Oh, and field work.

Oh and watch videos on youtube where Feldberg talks about driving technique and form. He's by far the best at keying in on the important things you need to know and focus on.

Reachback, weight shift, heel pivot, follow through. If you do that stuff, you should throw 300+.

Just wanted to update a little bit. My girlfriend and have both been playing the dame amount of time, and shes now starting to really get the hang of it. Her throws arent perfect yet, but because I can watch her throw and help her, she is beginning to get some solid form down, especially her followthrough which is very clean. And its great! The reason I mention this is because people, especially new players like myself and others NEED to play with better people. People with better form or at least a good understanding of it. They will be able to point out all the mistakes youre making with your throws, and help correct you. So if you can, try to play with people you wouldnt normally play with. Just ask! Im currently in this boat myself and I need to take this leap to really up my game and my technique. Ill be joining a local league if I can, since I dont know anyone here that plays aside from my girlfriend and I.

I know im not the first to mention it, but after seeing it first hand, theres no doubt its a great thing to do.

played 36 holes today. arms alittle sore lol. Met a father and daughter on family vacation from milwaukee today, and we played one hole together b4 they left. They gave me alot of advice about my discs and form, which helped alot. maybe I'll run into them someday after my skill has improved and play a full 18 with them. I think I may try a different course next weekend .
Still had issues with the wind, to the point where I was using my Buzzz exclusively, and had to side arm to keep my disc lower. My putting was WAY better today.
RD, do you change your throw to deal with the wind, or just your discs? or both?

I picked up a stingray this week for an understable mid. It isn't beat in yet.... so it flies perfectly straight and low. I threw it about 250 today... missed some trees.... finished slightly left around a tree..... and hit the pin. By far my best throw off of a tee. I am really a fan of how I can grip that disc. I would definitely recommend it as a beginner disc.

Also... I had never thought about pivoting on my heel. I will try that sometime this week. Thanks!

Hey thats awesome! Dont feel bad about the score, its all about improvement!

I actually havent been out the last day or so. Messed up my knee. Before I explain that, let me share this with everyone. You HAVE to pivot when you throw and you HAVE to followthrough. I use to until I started trying to pivot on my heel. I would end up flat footed with no way to pivot. I was doing this....throwing around 400 easily 60+ times - played a couple rounds, plus a bunch of other stuff. Theres so much force behind bigger throws and I paid the price. Im also going back to pivoting on the ball of my foot until my knee has heeled for some time. And im not an older person(im 24) and quite fit. It can happen to anyone.

That said, I cant wait to get back out there! Ive been getting huge improvement all over and want to share it after its proven its worth. Ive also got a huge stack of plastic coming. I shouldnt of, I know. Haha

Until then, have fun, keep your mind open to new ideas, and learn!

I tried spinning on the ball of my foot today on release..... seems like the heel spin might be a little dangerous. I had never even thought of spinning on my toe like that, though. Thanks for posting about it. I got personal best today with my Champ Teebird of 270 ft.... would have went farther but it hit a tree limb at the end. Amazing how these little things all add up.

Good job! Pretty soon you'll be throwing 300+!

Ive decided to start a "putting regimen" since its not stressful on my knee, and getting better at putting isnt a bad thing! I will record my numbers daily, and work on focusing on the bad parts after the normal rutine. And then every 5 days I will compare my progression,for 4 weeks. 30 days of putting here I come!

The way it will work is I will put from every direction, to play all aspects of wind and gusts. I will stand at 8 different directions at varying lengths each(N,NE,E,SE,S,SW,W, and NW from the basket). I will have 3 putters to use. I will first start at a ring of 10 feet and work my way back. How I will do this, is stand 10 feet away fom the basket, at N. Before I can move to a different direction, I must make either 3 puts in a row(using 3 discs before having to go and pick them back up) or throw 2 sets making 2/3 in each set(sets have to be made back to back). Until then I cant move to a new direction. Once ive hit all 8 spots I will move back to 20 feet and start again, then 25 and then 30. I may opt to get all the way back to 40 but for now im happy with 30. I will take notes while im out, about where I feel confident and where I dont. Then I will work on those areas before finishing up! And how do you finish up? On a high note! So I will throw another 20+ puts in spots I feel good at, at any distance im comfortable with, and end on a very high make percentage. This is to prevent discouragement and help instill confidence.

Just thought I would share that with everyone and hope to up my game. I also may have discovered a simple way to see how your form is. Ill give it a bit more thought before trying to explain it, and get some feedback. Until then keep improving!