• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Leather Dye

phantem

So, I decided to try something new. I really would like to be able to personalize my low grade stuff. I was dying a friend's pred and decided to use what I cut out as the mask. I attached the vinyl to the underside of a S Wizard as my test. I had some bleeds where the writing is raised, something that won't be problematic on the front. I also removed it too soon. It takes a while to set up. Overall, it seems successful, but time will tell.

My next test is to use white leather dye on a colored disc.

Very interesting...this would work on DX, no? Looking forward to seeing some more tests!

Leather Dye? Interesting. I'd love to know if the white works. Does it leave a texture or raised feel?

unfortunately, it is a bit raised. I think I used too much dye. I used the wool blotter that came with it. It is only raised a small amount, but probably enough to make it illegal in tourney play. It feels smooth, considering it is a used disc. I did not wash any dye off, I can see that perfecting the process could reduce or eliminate the raised feel. be careful, it dyes immediately!

I assume this would work for dx also, have yet to try on that. I am hopefull the disc holds it well, I would love to customize all that DX in my bag.

phantem said:
unfortunately, it is a bit raised. I think I used too much dye. I used the wool blotter that came with it. It is only raised a small amount, but probably enough to make it illegal in tourney play. It feels smooth, considering it is a used disc. I did not wash any dye off, I can see that perfecting the process could reduce or eliminate the raised feel. be careful, it dyes immediately!

I assume this would work for dx also, have yet to try on that. I am hopefull the disc holds it well, I would love to customize all that DX in my bag.
give it a little wash and scrub and see if the raised part comes off

They also have vinyl dye for car dashboards/interiors/whatever that I've been looking at getting, but can't find around here & don't know if it'd be worth it/feasible for dyeing as it's aroun $8 a pop.

pd

The raised part came off and the disc is totally smooth. Except that the small amount of scrubbing I did pulled all of the dye except a small amount of residual. My disc is now pretty much exactly like I started with.

phantem said:

The raised part came off and the disc is totally smooth. Except that the small amount of scrubbing I did pulled all of the dye except a small amount of residual. My disc is now pretty much exactly like I started with.
so in short, the dye doesnt work :(

Latest posts