• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lefty Disc

cojsmith08

Double Eagle Member
I just broke my right (dominant) hand and I went out and played lefty today with a few discs and the one I could get D out of was a D Buzzz.

What drivers would be good for more D in this situation?

150g DX Wraith

150g Pro TL

150g Valkyrie

150g Surge

any beat to crap super flippy roller type disk

gl! hope you heal up quick!

I've never thrown a 150 class disc, but are they really that much less stable? those are some big arm discs to be throwing with your off hand.

I used a really really really beat xclone to learn my RHBH earlier this year, moved to a star sidewinder after that. The sidewinder gets great distance when thrown with not much power, when it starts to turn and burn just move on to a bigger disc.

what were you throwing before you broke your hand? disc, distance etc.

150 discs might be a decent solution. But responding to what was asked earlier about stability of 150 class discs, some are pretty stable, and some are completly different discs. The X surge is a lot less stable, it's a completly different disc. It has .5 stablity compared to the normal 1.7 esp and z surges. I like it, it's a lot better than most of the other 150 discs on the market. I probably get more D out of the 150 Surge than any other 150 discs. Discs like the Flick, TeeRex, Firebird and Talon are still pretty stable in the 150g class, and would probably act like their max weight counterparts when using your left hand. They just don't stay in the air as long as a normal weight disc. They drop a lot faster, so you have to get them high, kind like you would throw a fairway driver to get more D.

But while you have your broken hand, maybe you should asses what you wanna get out of having to use your left hand. Do you want to learn how to play a half ass round with your off hand? Or do you want to learn skills that will help you once your right hand heals? I'm guessing it's a little of both. Using your left hand will probably give you a leg up when you are trying to get out of the woods, and when you need a right turn off the tee or in the fairway. Maybe you could focus on the shots you might wanna pick up whenever your hand heals, and tell yourself scores be damned while I'm throwing with my left hand, just as long as your picking up something useful for the future.

Maybe you can get Scoot_er to type out all the situations he uses his Left hand Forehand shot. He throws forehand with his left and backhand with his right, which seems redundant, but it works for him often. The way he explained it to me is that it's natural for him since for a left sidearm shot you are faced the same way as a right backhand shot. It's almost the same motion, he's just throwing with the other hand forehand. same rotation, just a switch up in what hand the disc is in. I've tried it a few times and and seems useful in the woods and for spike hyzers and skip shots.

I feel for you man, but I'm sure once you get to the other side of this, you'll have so many more shots in your bag.

Try a Dragon. You might be suprised what you can do with it. Most of the guys I play with can't throw very far, but the Dragon is their farthest flying disc.

Midnightbiker said:
Try a Dragon. You might be suprised what you can do with it. Most of the guys I play with can't throw very far, but the Dragon is their farthest flying disc.
I'm surprised every time I throw a Dragon. You never know what it's going to do next. ;)

I'd just use a worn version of your stable control driver. Really you're just learning to throw all over again. What would you tell a newbie to use?