• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Legacy Releases the Clutch

What is the different between Protogé and the new Gravity plastic?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/171g-Legacy-Clutch-Gravity-Edition-Disc-Golf-Putt-Approuch-/110864182795?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d0052e0b

After some more testing the Clozer shows a little more stability than Clutch, but not exactly a huge differens. Really nice straight flying discs.

turso said:
Yeah, suckiest plastic on market the protege, luckily they're making a new mix of it.

That's not my experience, at least with the Clutches my wife and I picked up. Grippy, tacky, almost chalky to the touch, and very rigid. It takes beatings quite well, and has remained very stable for both of us...in fact, we're now using them a great deal in our P&A games.

Of course, protege should probably never be used for a driver, but for a putter it works great. I'd be curious to hear more details about other runs, because I'm going to pick up more protege Clutches soon, and we might have some Clozers coming in a players pack soon.

I've only had problems with white. Red, black, and green have all been like you described

dgdave said:
I've only had problems with white. Red, black, and green have all been like you described
Likewise for me. My main putter is lime green and in my practice stack I have more lime greens, yellows and dark green and they are all as you described. The one white I have is softer and beating in much faster, showing more signs of wear in just the practice rotation than my main putter or the dark green I'm using off the tee.

ferretdance03 said:
So the Gravity line is the softer, grippier line of plastic, correct? What is Excel? Similar to Star/ESP?
Excel is the hard, stiff baseline plastic. Pinnacle is supposed to be their Champ-style though the one I've got is closer to GL in appearance, Icon would be the Star/ESP type.

I felt up a white gravity plastic Clutch the other day. Pretty sticky, and not as floppy as some of the other sticky plastic out there. I'd have to try one out for a while to give a more thorough evaluation, but those who are throwing them so far do tend to like them.

My white protege Clutch was part of the first run, it is stiff as hell, tacky as can be, and flies perfectly stable, but from what others are saying they might have run a bad batch of white plastic more recently. This is good to note. Also good to note that the red, black, and green are very nice.

We're going to be swimming in clutches in the near future (tournament discs), I'll report more info when we get them.

jubuttib said:
ferretdance03 said:
So the Gravity line is the softer, grippier line of plastic, correct? What is Excel? Similar to Star/ESP?
Excel is the hard, stiff baseline plastic. Pinnacle is supposed to be their Champ-style though the one I've got is closer to GL in appearance, Icon would be the Star/ESP type.

Icon got damage faster than driver Pro. Tackiness only a little better with Pro.

Our Icons have held just as good as any Star disc, don't know what's up with yours.

fanter said:
jubuttib said:
Our Icons have held just as good as any Star disc, don't know what's up with yours.

Sheet metal, no doubt.

Meilahti. Bed rock on the course and broken glass at places plus asphalt at the end of the baseball field. I threw mine when new at the baseball field that is 400' long artificial grass and asphalt after it. It got scrapes for almost each toss landing in the asphalt after 400' or more of flight. After i saw the disc graduate with scars i thought ok this doesn't seem to have a long life looking shiny so i might as well toss it FH at the course and it got way worse than scrapes for each shot.

I don't doubt the durability of Icon in Rampage or Cannon landing on grass or hitting trees. Rocks, asphalt and (the horror) glass pieces eat it away quickly.

Metal is not in question at Meilahti there's none of that to hit there.

Got a new batch of white "Protege" Clutches. The plastic is very rigid and smooth to the touch, kind of like KC Pro Aviar plastic. Can't wait to see how they fly!

dgdave said:
That's how my Clozer feels and it blows a big green donkey dick.

Can you be more specific? How long is that donkey dick? How green is it? How did it become green?

Latest posts