• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

LHBH Advice

DougS

Been playing about 4-5 months(3months playing multiple times a week) and want to better my game. Unfortunately im the only left handed player out of my group. Im not having much luck lurking through the threads here findin topics(though i did get a great laugh at the wareagle threads) and wondering if there are many, if any, left hand back hand throwers on the site. Any advice is welcome and i will try to keep you updated on how said tips/techniques work.

I use a 5 step x step and feel goofy forearming but am not opposed to it. I throw mostly midrange (roc classic, ibex, kc pro roc, discraft xpress, dx cobra before i lost it) and a star vulcan driver when i need skip, discraft force in head wind. I putt with a sss wizard but just bought a blofly and am getting use to it.

Thanks in advance

Most of the advice on here (or on DGR) is applicable to both left and right handed players. You just have to invert what people are saying sometimes. As for the DGR drill videos and whatnot, instead of using your right hand or right arm, use your left...

Can you put up a video of you throwing motion? As for learning how to play better left handed I was a right handed player for 13 years and have been playing LHBH for the last 4.5 years becaus of a shoulder injury.

If you ever played baseball I'm sure you hit a baseball from time to time, I try to swing my left hand thought the zone just like I'm swinging my bat but with a disc. Don't throw hard just focus on hitting the line you want with perfect form at or about 75% throw power, smooth is far. Just like shooting don't jerk focus on being fluid in your motion.

Lefty Love

As a fellow LHBH, I feel your pain on trying to find good ways to develop your skills when all of the drills and YouTube videos you see are from the right sided world. U.P.S. is spot on however - you just have to reverse everything you see and read ;)

If you ever want to ask questions or whatever - shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to talk LHBH stuff with ya. I'm not a pro or anything but I'm far from the worst player known to man :p

I also joined this group (Left is Right) here on DGCR (it's maintained by TOURNEYPLAYER) to find some Lefty friends, just not sure how active the group is.

Hope that helps man, glad to have another lefty on-board!
- Bubs :p

We're lefties in a righty's world man, but don't fret because everything is applicable, just invert it. You'll get used to it.

I agree with BENFTS though, post a vid of you throwing for the best custom tailored/personal advice on how to improve.

Do you throw a ball left-handed? Are you naturally left-handed? If so, definitely work on your forehand.

One of my problems is that I have always thrown a frisbee and now a disc better LHBH, even though I am a natural righty (throw, bowl, write, etc., right-handed). It actually makes perfect sense to me, as I mainly played ball golf and baseball (swinging "righty") at a young age ... so it feels more natural to pull (or swing) my left arm across (or around) my body. The reason this is a problem is that I: A) can't throw a ball, or therefore a forehand in disc golf, lefty; and B) haven't worked much on a RHFH because it curves the same way as my normal LHBH. Even though I'm not any good as a LHBH anyway, I'm going to work a little on both RHBH and RHFH, mainly for trouble shots.

There is no difference in learning. Just invert the info, all the kinetic linking is the same. I played the last few years doing this exact thing (I throw lefty).

One thing I didn't realize to invert was tee pad placement. As a lefty throw hyzers and hyzer flips starting on the back right of the tee pad and do your xstep to the top left. For anhyzers start in the back left and go front right. If you want more subtle anhyzers or hyzers either start or finish in the middle. This tip brought to you from Sarah Demar.

Lefty here..I get that everything is opposite and all but it's still hard to watch technique videos and trying to reverse it on the course. At least for me anyways. The footwork part of it is what always gets me confused. At one time at my course there was a large contingent of lefties but many have moved. I don't consider it a disadvantage being lefty or anything but most courses do tend to cater to the righties, just gotta adapt.

Lefty here to, I don't have problem with the x step and stuff. I have problems with what disc to use. I been told if a disc is -3 for righty it means +3 for us lefty. I just use buzzz, xl,leopard,roc,stratus. Leo is my left hand turn disc.

Bought a firebird and it does nothing for me except just turn right fast and hit the ground.

Lefty here to, I don't have problem with the x step and stuff. I have problems with what disc to use. I been told if a disc is -3 for righty it means +3 for us lefty. I just use buzzz, xl,leopard,roc,stratus. Leo is my left hand turn disc.

Bought a firebird and it does nothing for me except just turn right fast and hit the ground.

That would be the most over complicated way to figure out a disc flight.

Here's a simple visual way to remember

10947ce2.jpg

At the "top" or beginning of the flight a counterclockwise rotating disc (LHBH release) turns towards the left (top arrow) and as it approaches the "bottom" of its flight it fades towards the right (bottom arrow)

Righty is also illustrated for reference.

Yep, discs turn in the direction of the spin. Fade the other way. Great diagram, JTacoma.

Discs are rated based on speed, glide, turn, and fade. Speed and glide are self explanatory. Turn is the tendency for a disc to turn in the same direction as its spinning, so it refers to what happens to the disc in the middle of its flight. Fade refers to how hard the disc tails off in the opposite direction of its flight when it runs out of spin/speed.

Stable discs resist that turn better than understable discs, so you'll usually see a turn rating of 0 or 1 for a stable disc, whereas understable discs will usually carry a turn rating of 2 or higher, because they are more likely to turn.

To expand on JTacoma's chart, here's a paint version of various flights based on lefty lines:

5wkar.png

Note that on a lefty backhand throw, turn will only make the disc go left. You either get turn, or you don't. The disc will never turn right since that is not where the disc is spinning.

Also note that in a lefty backhand throw, the fade will always make the disc turn right IN RELATION TO WHERE IT'S TRAVELING WHEN IT STARTS FADING. So in the first example, the fade portion of the flight makes the disc turn right, but since it's already going left, the right turn kind of makes the disc go back straight again.

Another thing to keep in mind is that when discs beat in, they tend to gain turn and lose fade. So a beat up disc is going to turn more than a new version of the same disc, and it's going to fade less.

the discs and numbers are the same they just fade to the right instead of to the left like a RHBH does on Innovas Facebook they have a reversed flight chart that just show the discs fading the correct way for a lefty

Latest posts