• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Lightning Disc

Cdg0001

I bought a group of disc to start playing and in the bundle there are 3 lightning disc. A X-15, P 51, and a Spitfire. They seem older. Wondering what they are worth. What flight pattern they have. And if I put on eBay what should I expect if anything. They are used.

If you don't like them, they should be given away. Used Lightning discs have very little, if any value.

use them, or give them to a friend that doesn't have discs yet, so you can play together.

Spitfire is nice understable disc for a new player. Pretty decent glide as well

The Plane stamped discs are the only ones I can think of and its a small market. My brother in law is an aerospace engineer so I try and pick them up for him when I can. He bags a couple spitfires and a B2 stealth but has quite a few on the wall. I think they re-ran the airplane stamps not to long ago, I believe those were mostly the marbled colored plastic rather than the old solid colored airplane stamped discs.

SR-71 probably one of the rarer birds..

I would be interested in black airplane stamped lightning discs

X-15 is a good disc, slightly overstable, decent glide.

Honestly there are some decent flyers in te Lightning line, if they had kept up with the trends like premium plastic and high speed drivers we might still be trowing them.

The stamps and marketing weren't great either, if I were running an emerging company, if make a few calls and see if they would sell the molds for the u-2, the hookshot series and the helix series. Take away the weird rim grooves and give it a killer stamp.

The U-2 is a vastly underrated disc. If you could get it in a Star or Tourment plastic a ton of people would have a new driving putter.

I carry a heavy U2. IMO, Lightning's best mold. The HX2 is a very good fairway driver too, but the competition is too great to bother finding one. I like the "prostyle" plastic. The base plastic is junk.

if the P51 is the Mustang plane stamp, stick that sucker on e-bay and watch the magic happen

Lightning has always taken a back seat to Innova and Discraft. I tried one of their roller discs once. Rolled about as good as a brick.

Yea I hear back in late 80s early 90s the pros through a lot of lighting though. They just had a few discs and stop there. I can say lightning was my first bag though

Used lightning discs probably won't fetch much.

We have stacks at a local thrift store collecting dust at 2-3 bucks each.

I found a lost Lightning disc once in the middle of the fairway.

When I picked it up, the plastic looked and felt like it'd give me a sliver.

I threw it once (no ink) and decided it wasn't lost; someone had left it there on purpose. :|

Fl5 was an awesome Roc like disc. I would probably still throw those, if they were around...
Their glow plastic was the best in the business for a decade plus as well.

Last edited:
I bought a handful of Lightning discs in the late 90s, in the pre-premium-plastic days. The ones I bought were decent, but not better than the Innova stuff I was throwing. The stamps were pretty cool, though, and the floating discs were the best around, for what all that's worth.

I've still got a beat-up #1 Driver and Helix, and throw them every once in a while. But they're not getting in my bag.

They also had some great swirly colored plastic that predated/anticipated tye dye and all the artsy forms of plastic that have come with dyeing.

I carry a heavy U2. IMO, Lightning's best mold. The HX2 is a very good fairway driver too, but the competition is too great to bother finding one. I like the "prostyle" plastic. The base plastic is junk.

Agree the U-2 is a great mold and if Lat64 made one it would sell all day.

Pretty sure the #1 Driver was the disc I learned to play the sport with. They had some decent discs, just didn't expand enough with their lineup and plastics.