• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

local stores selling disc high

Discgolfer219

Banned
is it just stores around here but the stores that do carry discraft innova gateway etc always overprice the hell out of them to where nobody in there right mind buys them.
25$ Crystal
21$ ESP FLX
18$ ESP
18$ Champion
15$ pro
18$ Z
21$ Star
12$ Dx
12$ pro d

AHHEM. $18 for a DX Beast. That was on sale, 25% off. Suck on that.

Luckily there's one chain over here that now sells Innova and Discmania for pretty fair prices. Still, I've seen Discraft beginner sets (Soft Magnet, D-Buzzz and a D-XL) for $48 and Innova Pro discs going for $22 a piece.

Well if the store is strictly a disc golf store then more likely than not their over head is VERY high. Theres not as much mark up in Disc Golf Goods as people may think.

If they dont sell just Disc Golf stuff then they have a different products that is probably their main money maker..

We have a few disc golf only stores around here...well, 2 real stores and some "out of the van" dealers. The prices in the stores are comparable to what you'd find online, especially once shipping is factored in. The van dealers are cheaper than I've seen other places.

Yeah, I've never seen more than $18 bucks in a store for a star disc. Usually like $15 for a champ. I'd never pay more than that.

Over here it's like this: Stores specializing in discs have by far the cheapest prices, the other stores don't know what they're selling and don't know what the discs are really worth, so they up the price.

some call me...tim? said:
We have a few disc golf only stores around here...well, 2 real stores and some "out of the van" dealers. The prices in the stores are comparable to what you'd find online, especially once shipping is factored in. The van dealers are cheaper than I've seen other places.
I used to work in an outdoor retail store. We tried to get the owner to sell discs, but his argument against it was: "why the hell would I want to sell something with a low margin, that the manufacturer is willing to wholesale to everyone and their dog, so I end up having to compete with people selling crap out of their vans?" And so we didn't have any discs.

You can't have it both ways. If you want local stores to stock discs, you have to recognize that they have overhead and need to charge a certain amount. If all you care about is the price, then don't expect to have much to choose from locally. Everyone has different priorities, so take your pick. But it isn't realistic (except in a few rare situations, usually involving a high volume market) to expect local convenience, large selection, and the lowest prices. Not directing this at you Tim, just making a general point that certain conveniences cost money and nobody is getting rich selling discs.

My local shop right down the way from the course matches internet prices closely as well as carrying Millenium, Quest, Lat 64, Innova, Dcraft, Discmania, Ching and I imagine more.

Some of the stuff is a bit more spendy like the Lat 64 discs but only by 1 dollar or so. The variety is pretty damn good, of course there are tons of Katana's and Wraith's, but fairly limited DX stock. I guess everyone else is too good for DX :D. Only place I'll purchase discs in town, maybe only place I'll purchase period.

RocHed said:
My local shop right down the way from the course matches internet prices closely as well as carrying Millenium, Quest, Lat 64, Innova, Dcraft, Discmania, Ching and I imagine more.

Some of the stuff is a bit more spendy like the Lat 64 discs but only by 1 dollar or so. The variety is pretty damn good, of course there are tons of Katana's and Wraith's, but fairly limited DX stock. I guess everyone else is too good for DX :D. Only place I'll purchase discs in town, maybe only place I'll purchase period.

That is the only store in the area prices for the disc. It is a new store and don't think it will last long. The sad part is I bought two disc esp for 38 bucks. I needed them because I lost them and have a tourney this weekend and wasn't sure if I would have it on time if I bought it online.

The only place I buy disc from are from the idgc they are Around $1 more that Internet and with gas and 3 dollar fee to get in the park it ends up being the same as the Internet with shipping but I get to play 3 amazing courses and I get to fondal discs and ask about the flight of each disc cause Jason (superintenate) throws any thing new that comes in

krazybronco said:
The only place I buy disc from are from the idgc they are Around $1 more that Internet and with gas and 3 dollar fee to get in the park it ends up being the same as the Internet with shipping but I get to play 3 amazing courses and I get to fondal discs and ask about the flight of each disc cause Jason (superintenate) throws any thing new that comes in

im going there tomorrow, are you going to be there?

I'm sure it's very difficult to make a living running a DG store. Not that I've opened anyone's books or anything, but I can imagine there are more reliable ways to invest your money than to rent a building and sell a product that 90% of the population doesn't know exists. A product which, like PLShark said, doesn't have a very good profit margin, even when you can sell a couple.

Our sport is easily effected by the (no longer new, I guess) influx of online stores. My local store is pretty mediocre, and the location is inconvenient at best. But they do help keep up the local fields, and do sponsor some local tourneys. So I do feel it necessary to support them when I can. But I doubt half of the consistent players in my area get their plastic from that store.

I once saw an S Element for $20 at a local store.

I'll pay a couple bucks more to get to impulse buy a disc from a local store, but when I actually need a few discs I'll get them online. I can see why it would be a lot better deal for a local store to sell used discs rather than new ones.

I'll pay 9 for dx, 15 for champion and 18 for star plastic without dye. I'd have to think adding a nice dye job and charging $21 - $25 for a $15 disc is the only way to do it. They would sell less discs, but make more profit per disc. Either that or sell someone 6 discs for cheap then convince them that they now need a new bag to carry them in.

Sounds like the PIAS by me. 12 bucks for DX and 20+ for anything else.

I saw a tie dyed Pro Destroyer there the other day for 25 dollars. I was tempted to throw it at the guy working the desk.

I work at a PIAS. At first, we had no clue how to price the discs. So we just applied a formula to get a specific margin. Then, to no one's surprise, we weren't selling discs. So we had to lower the price in order to sell them, and have a smaller profit margin. In order to get a decent profit margin (i.e. 30%) we had to buy discs in bulk. Since we didn't have the shelf space to store 1000's of discs, we created the online store to help move them and I have boxes of discs in my basement.

The only local store in my area is Play It Again Sports. I try to buy as much as I can from them. The nice thing is 3 or four of the guys that work thier also play so the selection seems to be getting better. They added Lat 64 and Vibram. Thier Discraft selection is about twice what it was a couple of years ago. Thier priceing is generaly a buck or two more than online for Innova and Discraft products. Slightly higher than that for Vibram and Lat64. Gateway is about a buck or two more. Not bad for the convienance of being able to feel the disc before buying.

Those prices (especially the over seas ones) make me feel really lucky 13.99 for Premium plastic locally.

Thatdirtykid said:
Those prices (especially the over seas ones) make me feel really lucky 13.99 for Premium plastic locally.
Just a sidenote, if ordering directly from Discmania the price for DX is 9,4USD, Pro is 13,16USD, Champ is 14,37USD and Star is 15,58USD. If you can get a club discount it's 1,8USD less for everything. This is the cheapest price you're going to find in Finland. Factor in that the cheapest postage for one disc is 4,23USD and 9,06USD for two or more discs (and then you don't get it in your local post office, if you want the post to handle it it's 11,47USD), and then you can start feeling lucky.

Our local Intersport (probably the biggest sports store chain in Finland) is a bit more expensive, but with our club discount and because we don't have to pay postage it's easily cheaper to get discs there, if it's only a few. Too bad their selection is very limited. Only Discmania and Innova, and not many of them either. They only have one display stand.

Dick's and MCSports both overprice their discs, as well.

PIAS and the Club are the only two places to buy plastic around here.

Latest posts