• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long sleeves that aren't hot

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm currently on some meds that dry me out pretty good and make me even more sensitive to the sun than the pale Irish whitey I already am. I've thought about maybe picking up some long sleeve dri fits or something if they exist, to have in case I don't feel like loading up on sunscreen.

Any recommendations for a light, breathable long sleeve shirt that isn't too hot to wear in prime discing months?

I prefer a looser long sleeved shirt for hot weather, it seems to get a little better airflow for me. I wear one like this when I'm hiking in the desert:

71lbsMcf%2BzL._SL1500_.jpg

About the only thing that comes to mind are the button up fishing shirts at outdoor stores. gander mountain or cabelas around here. I know Columbia makes some and I've almost pulled the trigger a few times but just haven't.
If you find something awesome keep us posted. I'd maybe be interested also.

I'm currently on some meds that dry me out pretty good and make me even more sensitive to the sun than the pale Irish whitey I already am. I've thought about maybe picking up some long sleeve dri fits or something if they exist, to have in case I don't feel like loading up on sunscreen.

Any recommendations for a light, breathable long sleeve shirt that isn't too hot to wear in prime discing months?

just watch out for the material. "dri-fit" has become t-shirt for sports...

cotton sucks, polyester sucks (lots of dry fit stuff but for WINTER/COLD)

best bet is new synthetics really.

About the only thing that comes to mind are the button up fishing shirts at outdoor stores. gander mountain or cabelas around here. I know Columbia makes some and I've almost pulled the trigger a few times but just haven't.
If you find something awesome keep us posted. I'd maybe be interested also.

these like Mash posted also often offer UV protection and more airflow to keep cool than short or shirtless. uses the sweat to cool the inside layer while allowing the outer to breath and the skin to wick moisture.

You could try a Surfing Rash Guard. They are light weight, quick drying and I have seen some that have a SPF factor of 50. Best of all you can find them in white.

Two sock companies DeFeet and Swiftwick make arm sleeves. Mostly used as arm warmers but they make a version of them for warm weather too. The Swiftwick ones were said to offer UV protection. The DeFeet warm weather sleeves are called the Armskins ICE.

I've got several of these:
Super Bahama
Tamiami II
I wear them while at the beach for sun protection. They're great shirts. Wear them all the time at home too.
Head to Mebane and hit the Columbia store. If we go to burlington sometime, I could meet you there and get you some for 30% off.

The fishing shirt are great for hot weather. They are generously cut for full range of movement and most have back vents to help keep you cooler. Many are made of a quick drying material with UV blocking properties. Important if you are on med's which make you sensitive to UV radiation from the sun.

As an aside they also make light weight, finger less fishing gloves designed to protect the hands from harmful UV rays and balaclavas (neck gaiters) to protect your face/neck.

As an aside they also make light weight, finger less fishing gloves designed to protect the hands from harmful UV rays and balaclavas (neck gaiters) to protect your face/neck.

I got one of these gaiters for my ski trip. it was soooo useful. supposedly like 14 ways to wear it...

Kenji-Cline-Basket-raffle-winner.jpg

I think you'd like what i'm wearing in this pic. Drifit long sleeve. Lightweight. My club ordered these with our club name on them. I'm not sure who carries them retail but they're out there.

I'm a big cyclist, and being outdoors a ton cause a lot of issues with the sun. Protection against skin cancer is a real big concern. A lot of cycling companies have developed Solar Sleeves.

It looks like stick and ball golfers are catching on as well (see link below). The nice thing about these is that they are breathable, wick away sweat, and because it's not an entire shirt, they are easy on/off since they are just a sleeve similar to arm warmers used by cyclist. They are designed to be able to take off quickly without undressing since most cyclists remove them if they get hot while still riding.

Hope something like this helps.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/dri-fit-uv-solar-golf-arm-sleeve/pid-521945/pgid-521947

Fishing shirts are a great way to go. :thmbup:

The World Wide Fisherman line at BassPro is fine quality and value. The cape vent on the back does work well. Has UV protection. I really like the zippered chest pockets for peace of mind.

Some sales now
http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Freecast-Shirts-for-Men-Long-Sleeve/product/10231449/
http://www.basspro.com/World-Wide-Sportsman-Morada-Bay-Shirts-for-Men-Long-Sleeve/product/10231446/

So these fishing shirts...they're comfortable and roomy enough to not restrict any movement when throwing? And cool enough not to kill you?
Honestly, I hate sunscreen, but I'm pretty sun-sensitive, so there are definitely days I wouldn't mind just going full sleeves when it's really hot.

I just wear cotton and suffer like a man. :|

*applies ball powder to man rash(es)*

Whut? :|

I purchased a longsleeve Nike Dri Fit shirt that sounds exactly like what you are looking for. Try the jogging clothes section maybe.

I prefer a looser long sleeved shirt for hot weather, it seems to get a little better airflow for me. I wear one like this when I'm hiking in the desert:

**huge pic removed

I had something like this (Columbia brand also) for years, and it was great year-round.

I have a couple travel shirts from Ex Officio and White Sierra that have survived numerous trips to the BWCA. Super light and airy, great sun protection and surprisingly durable. BWCA = long days on the water in a canoe and I've never had issues with overexposure since wearing those shirts. The Columbias are nice as well, and probably half the price of the Ex Officios.

I'm a big cyclist, and being outdoors a ton cause a lot of issues with the sun. Protection against skin cancer is a real big concern. A lot of cycling companies have developed Solar Sleeves.

It looks like stick and ball golfers are catching on as well (see link below). The nice thing about these is that they are breathable, wick away sweat, and because it's not an entire shirt, they are easy on/off since they are just a sleeve similar to arm warmers used by cyclist. They are designed to be able to take off quickly without undressing since most cyclists remove them if they get hot while still riding.

Hope something like this helps.

http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/dri-fit-uv-solar-golf-arm-sleeve/pid-521945/pgid-521947

I have several pair, for the same reason.. I should try them, I wonder how well they stay up while throwing.

Latest posts