• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Long Turnover Shots

MonsterX12

I am looking for a disc to accomplish long turnovers up to about 400 ft. Right Now I use a Flippy Star Wraith. I was wondering if anybody had any insight into some good discs that would be better at getting this done.

Flippy Wraith works fine, or any of the -4 turn discs, or a beat fairway driver. I use a 160's Champ Monarch at altitude, a seasoned DX Eagle at lower elevations. I throw hyzer flip turnovers.

Try to grab up a 167 Selinski or Am Worlds Champ Katana.

I have both in light blue. Flippy as hell.

Didn't Innova buy discmania? How does it compare, from their site it just appears like a faster roadrunner or slower wraith?

MonsterX12 said:
Didn't Innova buy discmania? How does it compare, from their site it just appears like a faster roadrunner or slower wraith?
It is indeed hard to say where Innova ends and Discmania begins, but it is still my understanding that no, Innova does not own Discmania.
Anyway, about the TD:
Not a Roadrunner by any means. Doesn't turn nearly as much. No -4 turn there. If I could throw that thing as well as Feldberg did I'd call it a long TeeBird, it was that damn straight.

The Ninja will hold 400' worth of turn.
I'd choose a Sidewinder or Roadrunner for this shot... something slower with less fade. Beat Teebirds work really well for this shot.
Can you throw a RHBH roller? It's a great way to "go right" if you have the real estate to pull it off.

I'm never really a fan of throwing things faster than a wraith for turnover shots and I usually prefer to stay in Orion/PD speed range. Anything faster than those I find it hard to consistently get the disc to stay in the turn late.

Frank Delicious said:
I'm never really a fan of throwing things faster than a wraith for turnover shots and I usually prefer to stay in Orion/PD speed range. Anything faster than those I find it hard to consistently get the disc to stay in the turn late.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ me too

I dig the Roadrunner for this slot

Jesse B 707 said:
Frank Delicious said:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ me too

I dig the Roadrunner for this slot

Sidewinder here. What Frank said is spot on.

Yeah I find my beat in wraith will s out on the shorter holes I tend to use it more for the longer turnover shots would the td work for shorter turnovers? I never much cared for the sidewinder and have never really thrown a roadrunner, but then again its been awhile since I've tried a sidewinder. I'm really looking for a good disc out of the box that's good for this shot to fit a spot in my bag.

I get a lot of "what was that you threw, it turned over so effortlessly and held a good line!" whenever I throw my OLS.

marmoset said:
Beat Teebirds work really well for this shot.

Yeah my DX Teebird works perfectly as a turnover disc. Wouldn't an Avenger SS work for long turnovers?

what plastic is your ols ive been thinking about trying a sabre too know anything about thoughs

A Sabre would not be a good choice in my opinion.
Sabres are really good at anhyzers (anhyzer is a descrition of the angle of release) but the few I've had are not that great at turnovers (release flat and the disc naturally turns). To say the same thing a different way, the Sabre is too straight and has too high of an upper boundary to have the disc naturally turn over. On the flip side of the coin, because of these same qualities the Sabre excels at anhyzers. If you release with 45° of anhyzer then it should hold that angle for a very long time before it fights its way out of the turn.
Another strike against the Sabre is the distance. 400' with a Sabre is not an easy feat. The wing is the same width as a Teebird but Sabres fly a bit slower. If you want to get distance you have to throw increasingly higher but still manage to keep the nose down. This isn't as big of an issue if you are releasing anhyzer or have enough power to flip it.

Maybe as Sabres age they'd get better for turnovers but I haven't had the patience to beat one in.

A beat P-PD is awesome for this. It has very little fade and is easy to get long controlled turnovers out of (once it's hit a tree or two.) In the 370'-400' range it's great for this. I'm sure it's good for it out to 450' or more, but I can't throw that far.

I also second the beat DX Teebird vote above. But, personally, I think the P-PD is better for it.

beat striker for slight turnovers and the river now for big bombing anny's.

i don't have too much control out to 400 esp on huge anny's

pro boss anybody? they beat in nice.

Latest posts