• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Looking for a good driver to improve form/overall distance

Dnolff1991

Par Member
Hey everyone, a lot of people say to use an aviar, roc, and teebird from innova to improve form and distance and not to touch high speed distance drivers. So I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm figuring an ion or envy for a putter and an alias or an axis for a mid but am coming up with nothing for a beginning driver.

Options I've come across while browsing on discgolfcenter.com are:
Relay,
Switch,
Amp,
Streamline drift

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Relay for sure. Another midrange you might want to look at, is the Tangent. Its one of those discs that make form flaws very apparent. They pretty much straddle the center line of the flight chart. So if your torqueing, sawing it off or throwing nose up, it will let you know because it isn't flying dead straight. It will also help you work on your snap on release. It isn't the glidiest mid out there, so you really have to get a clean release to make it fly properly.

Neutral discs are best for form. Comets may be the most neutral disc available. IMO any straight flying disc will be fine, from putters to speed 6-7.

Relay for sure. Another midrange you might want to look at, is the Tangent. Its one of those discs that make form flaws very apparent. They pretty much straddle the center line of the flight chart. So if your torqueing, sawing it off or throwing nose up, it will let you know because it isn't flying dead straight. It will also help you work on your snap on release. It isn't the glidiest mid out there, so you really have to get a clean release to make it fly properly.
I actually have a tangent I throw already. If I release it straight it has a bit of late turn to it which I like. I can get it out to 300-310 on non windy days. Biggest issue I have is I'm only getting drivers out to 340-350 with a Vanish, Mayhem, Tenacity. So I'm either strongarming or getting the nose up a bit, not getting the elbow out enough or something.

I hear ya. Putters and mids are great, but nobody plays disc golf to stop at speed 5. Relay is solid.

Sting seems like a new, exciting good one in premium plastic.

DX Leopard is safe, and will beat into a useful roller/flipmaster. DX Teebird is probably also good. If you want to go a little faster or more beefy, I think you can't go wrong with a Leopard or Leo3 in any plastic, a TL, or even a Sidewinder/Roadrunner. Plus, everyone needs to own at least one Valkyrie, so that's probably safe.

You guys did notice the MVP prefix, right?... its obvious that the comet would be the disc for form work but since he added the prefix, I didn't suggest it...

Its all good. I was just busting your guys' balls really. Its not like I don't go into other companies threads and suggest MVP discs sometimes.:thmbup:

Relay, Theory, and Ion would be my suggestions. Envy is the greatest driving putter there is, but it will mask more flaws. The Ion is what I learned to drive putters with and saw my game quickly improve.

If you want a step up from the Relay, the Insanity is nose angle sensitive and can help clean up some stuff too.

I would recommend a Crave for fairway driver, and as for a putter i really like the soft electron Envy i just got, but i like my electron Ion too. Envy will be more versatile as a approach/midrange disc though, imo.. i know people use the ion for more than putting too its just a little too deep for me.

Crave will be a neutral flyer and help you work on any line you want to throw without being so fast that you cant get it up to speed. I prefer a Servo and Resistor combo because they can more easily be forehanded but a Crave is a better starter disc. After you master the Crave and can turn it over and shape lines with it, you could get a wrath or tesla (speed 9).. then when you feel you can get a full flight/distance out of a speed 9 disc, then a Photon (speed 11), etc.. But your right its best to start with slow speed driver until your arm speed increases. I can throw almost 500' and I really dont need anyhting faster than my photon, i have a mayhem but its not as reliable and really only gets me around 20' extra distance.

I don't use midrange discs, premium plastic putters are my "midrange" and if i need a little extra distance i go up to my slower fairway drivers (Resistor, Crave/Servo). Never found a scenario where i needed a midrange class disc because a putter like an envy in neutron will get me there with more control, i suggest trying to do this from the start.. but thats just my style/opinion. If you like midranges then the matrix would be a good start.

Putt with an electron Ion if you like straighter glide, if you like a bit more fade and you putt harder maybe an envy in like soft electron would be better, but i love my neutron envy for all midrange duties/approaches and shorter drives off the tee. You want to work on form then driving off the tee with a putter will quickly set you straight lol

Learn how to throw a putter with a fan grip, power grip for drivers, youtube some videos, feldberg has a good putting clinic, schusterick has a driving video, good luck man

Last edited:
MVP's putters are pretty fast in general and not necessarily the best for form work. I'd look at the Anode before the Envy or Ion. Relay is the driver for sure.

Agreed, Anode is the best for form work. Dead straight and doesn't have that little extra stability of the Ion to fix some issues...but they are very similar. Think Aviar vs. Wizard. Envy is just so HSS and also significantly faster...won't give you a true putter distance and will hide errors. Of course you should get one and throw it all over the course though.

I can appreciate a Michigan fella sticking with Maple Valley Plastic as the home-brand. But only throwing one brand is very limiting. Unless you're being paid to represent them, a mixed bag is pretty exclusively the better option. That said, for Michigan, we obviously also have Discraft with a lot of solid options.

For form work with the MVP family of brands, most of the overmolds come out more overstable than their flight numbers would indicate. The Streamline discs are fantastic options in great plastic. The Trace is a freaking beast. It's a Wraith. That's it. It's an old friend I've always loved in phenomenal plastic with cooler artwork. But for form work, I'd really check out a Drift. It's understable enough that lower arm speeds can very easily control it, easily able to hyzerflip for 350' shots with moderate power, and can stick around into more advanced bags. I've been very impressed by Streamline's offerings after I never really clicked with any MVP/Axiom molds.

Keep huckin', Mittens!

Throwing one brand is limiting, only if they don't have a full lineup. MVP (along with Axiom and Streamline) offers everything you need.

As far as the recommended driver, I would suggest a Relay as well.

Putters: Proxy and Atom

Mids: Axis, Alias, Tangent and Theory

Fairways: Relay, Switch

Distance: Inertia and Insanity

nothing too overstable

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Sounds like the Relay takes the cake. Looks like I'm probably going to pick a couple up.

Hell i might even pick up an Anode from what slowplastic was saying.

Latest posts