• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Looking for an understable driver for beginner

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
Well, he's not exactly a beginner, but he's always thrown overstable high speed drivers with pretty horrid over-torquing form for about 230-250'. I finally talked him into picking up a Sidewinder from a local dude that sells discs at the course, but it's still too much disc for him, and he's not really getting over 250'. He says he likes the grip of the wider rims and I tried to explain to him about the intended speed of discs and how they under-perform when they don't reach that speed, which is what is happening with his throws.

Personally, I think a Glide would be good for him, but he thinks the rim is too narrow. Any suggestions?

A valkyrie may work...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's more of a neutral or "S-shape" disc, especially at his level. There's a good bit of right-turning shots around 220'-250' at our local course so I'm looking for something that he can get to go right for the majority of the flight at his power-level.

Leopard, TL, Teebird, etc.

Possibly Leopard, but I still feel like that is not understable enough. I think a Leopard would be a pretty good straight disc for him. I've had him throw my TL and it does not go right at all for him on a flat shot. There's no way a Teebird would work.

If he's not willing to drop down in speed to a leopard or a Glide like you told him. Maybe a beat champion Roadrunner or a beat DX Valkyrie might work for him.

That's more of a neutral or "S-shape" disc, especially at his level. There's a good bit of right-turning shots around 220'-250' at our local course so I'm looking for something that he can get to go right for the majority of the flight at his power-level.

Personally I would hyzer flip DX wedge on that shot.

This is about field work and commitment to achieve advancement for a 250' well ranged backhand turn over/ S.

Innova Mako or Discraft Metor out of the box. Practice flat release smooth and getting some good spin on it. Do not kill it, distance will come. When you figure that out, look to disc down to a putter for that shot.

Last edited:
I have been using the last two year's Ace Race discs for those shots. Last year's Archer is a super flippy mid that I can hyzer flip to turnover, and this year's is the same but faster and longer.

A lighter weight River may also work and still give him the driver feel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Just give him a Mamba in the 160s and be done with it. Let him flail away until he figures it out.

Ha! I was thinking something similar. I have a 162 elite-x Nuke SS that is way too flippy for me that I might just give to him and he'd probably love it. But apparently anything under 169 is too light for him so I'll somehow have to change the 162 on the rim to a 169 or erase it with something.

Last edited:
I would recommend a Leopard, River or similar. If you want it to fly US out of the box just go down in weight?
Have him practice flat releases, straight reachback and a decent pull through. If it's too straight out of the box have him experiment with delicate slight anhyzers?

Ha! I was thinking something similar. I have a 162 elite-x Nuke SS that is way too flippy for me that I might just give to him and he'd probably love it. But apparently anything under 169 is too light for him so I'll somehow have to change the 162 on the rim to a 169 or erase it with something.

Get him a 170g Champ Mamba, tell him to just throw the piss out of it. This guy sounds too set in his ways to listen to much of anything else that is reasonable. DGA Sail might also work. Just make sure it fits your client's exacting specifications. Lol

I've not thrown a Mamba. I have let him throw a 169 Pro Vulcan of mine, which I consider extremely understable (not as much as my Nuke SS), but it just starts to fade immediately out of his hand. How does the Mamba compare?

What is the most understable version of the Roadrunner? Maybe that could work.

Leopard or maybe Comet from this voter. Probably more of a form issue than anything else. But I'd say the other important thing is just not to throw too fast of a disc. Even a Valkyrie or Sidewinder won't keep going right the whole flight, and I believe that's because they're speed 9. If he's throwing 250', a speed 9 is going to be pretty darn overstable, especially at the end of its flight. Even a Leopard may be too fast. A Comet will keep going right, but it may also not work at all if his form isn't that smooth.

In short, stay in the mid to fairway speed range, speed 4-7. Nuke SS or Mamba type discs are pretty stinkin' flippy if you get a decently fast release, but they're basically meathooks if you're not throwing fast enough...

Some thoughts:

Very beat in, lightweight Polaris LS. I have one that flips up at putting speeds.

A pro-d Avenger SS. I can make this turn right, and I can't make a Wolf turn right. Dead serious.

The lightest Mamba or unLace you can find.

A slightly worn Archangel, 165 or less.

The absolute lightest DX Destroyer, Boss, Wraith, or Orc you can find. I have seen Wraiths as low as 110g, This was my solution, as I've not yet figured out how to throw with power and anything but an anhyzer release angle. Even with my very poor form and slow arm speed, these discs (and the archangel) will flex and fade to just over 300, where my leopard and cheetah are closer to 250.

It sounds like your friend and I have similar form issues. My favorite of all the above is the Orc, so that may be a good solution.